Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

NUC7I7BNH - Which storage disk is best for my use profile?

Hello, I'm migrating my Intel NUC to the third version. I've always used the Intel NUC minipc exclusively as mediacenter, only to see the contents on the Kodi 18 Leia and as shared media server, using the Emby Server. I never use it to surf the internet or use suites as a usual pc.

Well, I'm leaving the NUC6i5SYH, with 16GB of RAM and 120GB SSD, which I bought in August 2017 and I understand that it is a great machine, including I'm reviewing it in Brazil.

Now I'm leaving for the NUC7i7BNH model (I prefer the higher model because I have more space for an SSD, for cooling and for being easier for resale.

This new model I'm buying today will come with 32GB RAM and my question is on the storage disk.

I am between the 250GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD and the 250GB M.2 Samsung EVO 960, these from the images below.

So, I would like to know from Intel:

1. Which is the best option for my use profile and for the template quoted?

2. Is this M.2 model absolutely compatible with the NUC model I am getting?

Thank you again for your attention.

Success and greetings from Brazil.

Thanks very much.

--------

Samsung 850 PRO - 256GB - 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW)

Product link: https://goo.gl/2MDNvR https://goo.gl/2MDNvR

Samsung 960 EVO Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6E250BW)

Product link: https://goo.gl/HHW22X https://goo.gl/HHW22X

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The read/write performance of the SATA-based 850 PRO is 550/520. The read/write performance of the NVMe-based 960 PRO is 3500/2100. Enough said?

The difference in cost (on Amazon US) is roughly $51 ($77 vs. $128). Well worth the $51 IMHO!

Yes, both are compatible with the NUC7i7BNH,

...S

Highlighted

Another thought to include in the decision-making:

If you use a M.2 SSD (and this can be either NVMe-based or SATA-based, BTW) for your primary drive, you will have a 2.5" drive bay into which you could add a large (up to 4TB) data HDD or a fairly large (up to 2TB) SSHD. If you use a SATA-based 2.5" SSD for your primary drive, that's it; you have no place to add a data drive.

...S

Highlighted

One additional comment: If you are looking at adding a data HDD/SSHD, be careful to purchase one that will fit in the drive bay. The drive bay is capable of holding a drive that is up to 9mm in height. Some of the available HDDs are actually 15mm in height and thus would not fit in this bay.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

You referred to the 960 PRO and I inquired about the 960 EVO.

In this case, is your position changed or maintained for the EVO?

Thank you so much again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I think I understand, yes. In my case, I intend to use M.2 EVO 960 as the primary drive, that is, where the operating system, Kodi, and Emby Server will be installed and nothing more. Multimedia content will all be on external HDD discs, connected to the NUC via USB 3.0.

Later, it is possible for me to add a 2.5 "HDD or 2DB SSD inside NUC to host my lossless music collection.

This is possible, am I correct?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Yes, that detail I already knew. I review the NUC products in Brazil and I know details like this, from experience. Thank you for this alert.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

While the NVMe-based 960 EVO is a little slower (2000/1200), this is still enough of a performance difference to justify the additional cost. I also see that I provided the price for the 960 EVO and not the 960 PRO (which is higher at $170). The argument still holds, IMHO.

Yes, it is possible. You have two drive bays, the M.2 bay, which can host either a NVMe-based or SATA-based M.2 SSD, and the 2.5" bay, which can host any SATA-based 2.5" SSD, HDD or SSHD (provided the drive's height is no more than 9mm).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi, I believe this is my last doubt.

What is the maximum TB capacity for M.2 and HDD / SSD 2.5 "disks up to 9mm? I have in mind that the maximum capacity of the M.2 is 2TB and for the 2.5" HDD / SSD is 4GB. Is that correct?

Given its useful information, I am buying the 250GB M.2 EVO 960, since I do not intend to install anything besides the OS and multimedia programs, Kodi and Emby Server. All data is far from unit M.2

Thank you very much for all your patience.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I could have sworn that I saw a 4TB drive with a Z-height under the 9.5mm limit (I looked it up this time to be sure), but I cannot find one now (at least not on Amazon or NewEgg).

This means that, currently, the limit for both M.2 NVMe/SATA SSDs and 2.5" SATA HDDs/SSHDs is 2TB.

BTW, also I reviewed some prices as I was looking this information up. The add-on cost for a SSHD over a HDD is US$5. The performance benefit of a SSHD over a HDD is significant enough to justify a lot more than US$5. I have a couple of these running in NUCs and they are great!

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have not used any of the Intel NVMe drives, so I cannot say whether this is a better drive. I would expect the quality of both to be high and fairly equivalent.

If you are looking beyond Samsung, then you should probably look at a few other manufacturers as well. I am attaching a table that I have been maintaining for NVMe-based M.2 SSDs (the prices, which are in US$, are a month or so out of date right now)

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I fully understood all your settings and thank you immensely for all this.

Now I feel safe to buy the best Intel NUC product with the peripherals.

That way, I consider this topic solved.

Greetings from Brazil

-------

So my new htpc will be this:

Intel NUC7I7BNH

RAM Memory kit 32GB Crucial (2x16GB)

SSD M.2 250GB Samsung EVO 960 2280

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

I was late in removing my last message, as I considered it unfair.

Thank you for the table and it will be very useful for business.

0 Kudos