Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHart3
Beginner

NUC7I7BNH overheating when streaming BBC

I have an intel NUC NUC7I7BNH acting as a media center and haven't had any issues until the last couple of days.

My system is shutting down and when re-booted saying it was the result of overheating.

The issue only occurs when I am streaming content from the BBC web site via MS edge. If I download the content it is fine and streaming from other sites Netflix's and Amazon don't seem to have any issues. That and I haven't really done that much checking other browsers as I don't want to damage the unit but getting it too hot too many times.

All of the drivers and bios are up to date. I have tried adjusting the setting in the bios to keep the processor cooler, but I am surprised that it is only the BBC site that seems to cause the issue. I had process monitor open while streaming and the processor only seemed to be running at <15% so it isn't very stressed.

Does anyone have an idea as to what can be causing this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Elow: We will do our best to assist you with this scenario.

Please make sure that there is no obstruction on the air vent and also get into the BIOS and set the settings to default value by pressing F9 and then F10 to save and exit.

Do you hear the fan spinning?

We do have a tool to test the processor, it does an overall test on it including a temperature test, if the processor passed the test then it should be working fine:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Please attach the SSU report for us to verify the components that are working with the NUC:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
DHart3
Beginner

Processor passed the test. I have attached the log files for review

idata
Community Manager

Elow: Thank you very much for providing that file.

Could you please provide the link of the BBC site?

Based on the fact that the processor passed the test and the problem only happens only with the BBC site, we recommend to get in contact directly with BBC support since the NUC is working fine with the rest of the tasks.

Another recommendation (unlikely) is to try a clean boot (disable all non-Microsoft services) in case there is a conflict of a service with the BBC application.

Regards,

Alberto R
DHart3
Beginner

The url for the bbc iPlayer site is

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer BBC iPlayer

and then try streaming anything in HD

D

idata
Community Manager

Elow: Thank you very much.

Have you contacted BBC iPlayer for support? Since the issue does not occur with other online streaming pages (Netflix, Youtube, etc.) this may be a specific issue with BBC iPlayer.

Are you using a VPN or special proxy settings? Try testing without these to see if you can replicate the issue.

Since BBC iPlayer is only available in the UK (UK IP) and requires a TV License, we recommend the best option is to contact your ISP or BBC directly.

Regards,

Alberto R
idata
Community Manager

Elow: Were you able to contact your Internet service provider or BBC support?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation