Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wwhar
Beginner

NUC7I7BNHXG crashed not booting anymore , stuck at loading wheel

Hello , I was watching a movie last night suddenly my NUC crashed it just rebooted.

Now it won't turn on no matter what i do , I even wanted to reinstall windows but it won't see the hard drive from the bootable windows usb.

Im running windows 10.

Thank you

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wwhar
Beginner

update : i booted from an usb device and i can access the hdd but my user's folder inside the C:\Users\ is gone.

So all my data is gone , downloads everything... can someone help me?

I ve never encountered this before , it happened so suddenly and without any cause

idata
Community Manager

Hello wharmus,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the boot issue that you are experiencing with your Intel® NUC7i7BNHXG, it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.

Based on your report we would like to diagnose the behavior of the unit by testing the board with minimal settings.

-Please remove all the memory modules

-Remove the hard drive installed on the unit

-Boot the unit without the components, if the unit displays 3 blinking lights, the board itself should be fine.

-Please re-install 1 RAM stick.

At that point I would recommend a BIOS recovery; on the following links you will find the instructions on how to do it and a link with the latest BIOS for your machine:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27571/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=126139 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27571/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=126139

Please let us know if anything on the behavior of the unit changes

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.
idata
Community Manager

Hello wharmus,

Thank you for your response.

In this case when we refer to memory modules, we are talking about the RAM memory.

The reason that we ask you to test the units in a minimal environment, is because everything points to a hard drive failure.

It seems that the main partition got corrupted, however we need to discard the Intel® NUC7i7BNHXG being the reason for the hard drive failure.

May we ask what is the brand/model and serial number of your HDD?

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Diego S.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Diego,

From the wharmus description I doubt that this can be HDD or memory failure. Since he can see the swinging Windows ring, it means that the Bios is OK but Windows is not loading. Now since we are talking about NUC7i7BNHXG all components (and the O.S.) are installed by Intel, and therefore you shall know what Intel is installing in this kit: 32GB Intel® Optane™ Module, 2TB HDD, 8GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM[1], Microsoft* Windows* 10 Home.

In my opinion the problem may be in some destruction in functioning of Optane memory or in Windows (yes, it happens).

I'll propose to try the following:

1. Prepare (if you don't have one), USB stick with Windows 10 Home installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 Download Windows 10

2. Boot your NUC from this USB

3. Select your language preferences, and click/tap on Next.

4. Click on Repair your computer at the bottom.

5. Click on Troubleshoot

6. Click on System Restore (Use restore point recorded on your PC to restore Windows)

Hope this will return your Windows to latest saved good configuration and save your data.

Leon

wwhar
Beginner

Hello guys , nothing works...

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Can you describe what is not working?

2. Did you try to restore Windows?

3. If yes, what happen? Which step did you succeed to reach?

Leon

wwhar
Beginner

I managed to boot from an usb drive and it cnt find any of my files.

i used a recovery data tool and it finds all my files as deleted under "LOST PARTITION".

How could this happen? How can my data / partition just get erased without anything?

What memory should I remove? Are you talkking about the optane thing?

I havent added anything it was running on factory settings.

Should I take it to warranty?

idata
Community Manager

Hello wharmus,

I was taking a look to your case and I wanted confirm if you needed further assistance?

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

wwhar
Beginner

Hello , well all my files got corrupted , partition lost , I managed to recover the files by using a Data Recovery software and booting from an external drive.

I checked the HDD surface for errors , everything works fine , I don't know how or why this happened.

I removed the Intel Octane and replaced it with a NVME SSD , where I installed Windows now everything works just fine.

So just a warning for the Octane users out there , since this happened to me out of the blue.

Thank you

idata
Community Manager

Hello wharmus,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your patience.

Hopefully this thread will become a reference for other community peers.

On the meantime let me know if there is anything that we could do to help you out.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back if necessary.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello wharmus,

I was checking your case, and I just wanted to know if there is anything else that we can do for you at this time.

Please do not hesitate on replying back if you need more assistance.

Best Regards,

Diego S.