Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLars3
Beginner

NUC7PJYH - 1440p impossible for DVI/DP monitor??

I am desperately trying to connect my new NUC7PJYH to a 27" and get a full WHQD 1440p resolution - with NO luck!!

The NUC only has 2 HDMI 2.0 outputs, and my monitor choices are as follows:

HP ZR2740w

can only run 1440p via DVI or Displayport.

DELL U2713H

can only run 1440p via DVI or Displayport

Samsung S27A850T

can only run 1440p via DVI or Displayport

So any advice on how to do that? Because for the life of me I can not find a solution. HDMI to DVI/DP on the NUC seems mission impossible. Which I don't understand, because the bandwidth on either side (HDMI2.0) and DVI/DP is more than sufficient.

Of course I'm using latest windows 10 build, with latest intel drivers for everyhthing and monitor drivers.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

HDMI-to-DVI adapters are cheap and I have used all sorts of different ones without issue literally across all of the NUC models. I have even fed them through a DVI KVM without issue (though I do disable Monitor Sleep in Windows to support this).

You can also look at HDMI-to-DP adapters. This I cannot help you with; I have no monitors with DP input to run that kind of test.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson

Here are links for the adapters that I use regularly:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z09EID6 US$6.99: Amazon.com: Rankie 2-Pack HDMI (Male) to DVI (Female) Adapter (Black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WVZ5Z4?th=1&psc=1 US$8.02: Amazon.com: DTOL 2-Pack DVI 24+1 (DVI-D) Female to HDMI Male Adapter

Hope this helps,

...S

DLars3
Beginner

I already bought both hdmi to dvd-d dual link and to single link, both don't work for 1440p. I bought the cable versions though like https://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B004RPLSFU?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd HDSupply HC020-020 High Speed HDMI: Amazon.de: Elektronik not sure if that makes any difference. Someone somewhere said you can not convert hdmi to dvi with NUCs to get more than normal 1080p but can't find that now

DLars3
Beginner

I did manage to push 2560x1440p@30/31hz via custom resolution settings in the Intel display options.

Anyhthing above this will result in "bandwidth limit exceeded" which is a bit of a joke, because how can it be limited?

The NUC has HDMI 2.0a and the input of the monitor wants 2560x1440p@60hz via DVI-D.

So where in lies the problem exactly?? I read countless threads of similar issues, trying to get 1440p@60hz but with no real solutions. Those are 5 year old threads, and intel still didn't find a solution, wtf?

Why does it only come with HDMI out when it is so poorly supported and so many monitors still rely on DVI/Displayport inputs?

And Scott, you claim to be running HDMI>DVI no problem. In 2560*1440p@60hz? If so I would like to get some more specifics on what equipment

n_scott_pearson

So you've talked DVI, but what about DP? HDMI-to-DP adapters are fairly cheap as well. Try one of those.

...S

DLars3
Beginner

Yeah, I can buy the 4th. Adapter and try, but you did not answer if you can run hdmi-dvi in 1440p@60hz.

And would be cool if someone from intel could tell me WHY hdmi>dvi doesn't work in 1440p@60hz when source/cable/monitor all should support it no problem.

n_scott_pearson

Sorry, I can't answer that; I do not have a 1440p monitor.

Let's see if we can get an answer to this from cvare ...

...S

Chris_V_Intel

Will try this next week.

Will post here when I have results.

DLars3
Beginner

I can say, forget about it i have a list of forum posts as long as my arm about this and there is no good solution. Only few obscure $200 hdmi2.0>displayport adapters out there. But demand is huge because of playstation and Xbox havd HDMI out and many people have 4k PC Monitors that only accept displayport for 4k@60hz.

Only solution I see is to return the intel nuc for a refund. Look at another brand with normal monitor outputs.What I don't understand is, why do most intel nuc come with only hdmi2.0 out when it's marketed as office pc?? Most 2k/4k Monitors need dvi/displayport .... And with no working adapters on market the nuc is useless for productivity on 2k+ monitors. Wasted probably 20+ hours research on this bs now the last week.

n_scott_pearson

I am not sure where you are, but Amazon.com has literally dozens of different HDMI-to-DP adapters and cables available for two-day delivery and most are under US$40.

The NUCs are general-purpose products and suitable for many usage models. My view is that the focus has been on HDMI because ~95% of new monitors support (and in many cases require) HDMI and, in likely ~95% of cases, HTPC configurations absolutely require HDMI.

It's up to you. If you are going to drive your choices by whether they work with your old monitors, so be it.

Just saying,

...S

DLars3
Beginner

If it was so simple as you think, then the adapters I have been trying already would also work. Since source/cable/monitor supports it - but evidently it does NOT work.

Your definition of "working" is that you can see a picture... But when you have 27" monitor at 1440p resolution it's quite a disappointing experience looking at 720p resolution. Or 1440p @ 30hz which makes everything feels VERY choppy.

Which is why some other NUC models, and brands like Zotac have mini PC's with NOT only HDMI outputs but also displayports or USB-C>Displayport options. In intel's case of course only the most expensive models.

And sure a lot of NEW monitors have HDMI1.4+ But so what?? Almost no people upgrade their monitors. They can work for 10 years without any problems. It's not like their performance gets better or more feature rich, like with general PC hardware. A 1440p monitor for office use does the same now as 5 years ago. So most people have already older monitors lying around or buying used, using them for scenarios like this - small office setups.
Chris_V_Intel

I found the answer.

Intel display drivers, since Ivy Bridge, only support DVI single-link technology. What that means according to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia

Or as you've seen 1440 @ 30 Hz.

Can you do me a favor please.

1. Open the Intel GFX settings.

2. Select Options and Support:

3. Choose your display under the Select Option pull down:

4. Take a screenshot of the Supported Modes (please scroll to the bottom to see the max resolutions).

Thanks!

DLars3
Beginner

It says 2560*1440p@60hz is supported according to intel display options.

I can manage to set 2560*1440p@41hz via custom resolutions.

But this only confirms that Intel only supports HDMI to DVI-D Single link - which I already knew/suspected based on reading through lot of forum posts so far.

I still stand by that it is a joke a PC in 2018 does not support DVI-D/Displayport at max resolutions, especially when the support from display adapters is so poor for HDMI to DVI/Displayports.

Chris_V_Intel

I apologize, I missed your reply until now.

Yes we only support single-link DVI. This decision was made many years ago to help push customers to the much superior HDMI and DP technologies.