Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor I

NUC7PJYH - BIOS-related glitches

Most of the glitches I experienced with NUC7PJYH were in (or directly related to) BIOS. So I decided to collect them in a single thread. Here they are:

1. Turning on Startup Sound in BIOS:

• Thermal Trip error during boot:
  • All sound devices disappear from Windows.

More details in

2. Saving profile in BIOS and restoring it after BIOS update:

• A bootable device has not been detected error

More details in

3. POST Functions Hotkeys are not shown on NUC splash screen.

• Initially I had them, but very soon (after some changes in BIOS settings or a BIOS update) they were gone. Then after some BIOS update they appeared again, but shortly after that disappeared. Note "POST Functions Hotkeys Displayed" was always Enabled.

I would not call it an issue "per se", but, I suspect, it reflects some hidden problems.

4. When "UHD Color" is enabled on Samsung 4K TV and HDMI port is labeled as PC:

• No NUC logo during POST - TV says "No signal"
  • Not able to get to BIOS: when I press F2 during POST - TV still says "No signal". I guess it reaches BIOS, but shows nothing. When I short-press power button on NUC - it shuts down.

More details in

5. When connected to HDMI 2.0 port of Samsung 4K display:

• When I press F2 during POST (NUC logo shown) and enter BIOS - screen freezes. When I short-press power button on NUC - it shuts down.

More details in

Did anyone else experience similar issues?

I'm afraid that my BIOS settings are corrupted. BIOS recovery (through Power button menu) and loading BIOS defaults (F9) do not seem to have any affect, at least on 3 and 4 (I did not try to reproduce 1 and 2 anymore).

So, is there any way to "Reset" BIOS data? Or do I need to replace the NUC?

Thanks for any help,

Peter
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello PeterNUC,

Thank you for joining this community; it will be more than a pleasure to assist you.

In this case, we really appreciate the time that you took in order to gather all of the inconveniences that you experienced with your device.

Please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Regards,

Diego S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Diego S.,

Thank you for your message. Please find requested info attached.

Best,

Peter
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello PeterNUC,

Thank you for your response.

Let me investigate this further, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I really appreciate your patience.

Regards,

Diego S.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello PeterNUC,

Thanks for your feedback, I work for Intel Customer Support and let me tell you that we are currently looking into some of the issues that you are reporting.

There is a new BIOS to be released soon that addresses some, especially the Thermal Trip error during boot.

On the other hand, I am having the same or very similar behavior of items # 4 and # 5 and I am going to report that to the product team but I have had this very same experience with other NUC models and it seems to be somehow related to the TV/Monitor brand and model, this has been my personal experience.

I would recommend that you wait for the next BIOS release and run a "BIOS recovery - [F7]" https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005850/mini-pcs.html F7 BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC and check if some these issues persist and report back, I will be doing the same.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hello Ronny G,

Thanks a lot for confirming the issues # 4 and # 5 and reporting them to the product team.

I see you recommend "F7" BIOS update method. Last times I updated through "Power button menu - F4" since I considered it as "more complete". Would I loose (or gain) something if I use "F7" method instead of "F4"?

Thanks,

Peter
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi PeterNUC,

Not really, both should be the same [F4] and [F7] but pressing the power button and hold it down for 3 seconds then release it before the 4 second shutdown and then you see the Power Button Menu appears and then you press F4 for BIOS recovery may be more difficult than just pressing [F7] during boot up. In my experience and this also depends on the display brand and model, sometimes it is difficult to even access BIOS but accessing the BIOS recovery screen by pressing [F7] has always worked out well for me.... just my preference.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Ronny G,

Thanks for your comment. I also prefer F7 - it's more "user-friendly".

Best, Peter

0 Kudos