Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rgord1
Novice

NUC7PJYH Dual Channel Memory or not?

It is some time now since the question of whether the NUC7PJYH supports Dual Channel Memory was referred to Intel technicians for an answer.

If it does support Dual Channel Memory, would a bios update be necessary to implement that support?

If it does not, could users please be advised so that they can look for alternative solutions if they need faster memory.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
TBlue
New Contributor I

I use 2x8gb dual channel memory sticks just fine in my NUC7PJYH (officially it only supports 8GB total). I don't know if that means it can actually take advantage of them in terms of speed, but they are certainly working just fine.

rgord1
Novice

The question is are they working in dual channel mode as reported, for example, by CPUID CPU-Z? If so, can you say what bios revision you have loaded?

If not, I am still waiting to hear a response from Intel as to whether or not their technicians have established that this NUC supports (or doesn't support) dual channel mode.

JHoff6
Valued Contributor II

Per the specifications, yes, it supports dual channel memory: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7pjyh.html

rgord1
Novice

The specifications have been questioned previously. There is no evidence to support them. There has been a slight speed improvement recorded when a second RAM module is fitted, but nowhere near what would be expected from dual channel memory.

LeonWaksman
Super User

@rgord1​ 

More information about this subject you may found here: https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P000049uuhrSAA

Leon

rgord1
Novice

This also does not answer the question whether or not dual channel mode is supported by this NUC, only that one stick of RAM is marginally slower than two. I will have another try at finding the thread where an Intel rep advised that the issue would be referred to technicians for a definitive response regarding dual channel support. I haven't seen one, which is why I raised the question again in this revamped forum.

rgord1
Novice

This may be the thread that I recall https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490URrSAM/gskill-memory-for-nuc7pjyh.

There is an indication that this NUC does NOT support dual channel mode, that Intel was looking into it, and the thread dies without a resolution. That was seven months ago. Unfortunately the revamp of the forum makes discovery of other threads referred to in this one very difficult if not impossible to track down.

LeonWaksman
Super User

This is the old thread. After more deep check by Intel's engineer, they came to conclusion that the problem was in the third party monitoring software. You may see on the images attached in the posts here https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P000049uuhrSAA, that after updating the software, it is shown that the NUC is working in Dual Memory Channel Mode however, the speed is lower than expected in such mode.

Leon

rgord1
Novice

All that this thread does is confirm that the addition of a second RAM module confers only a marginal speed improvement over one RAM module, and nowhere near what would be expected from dual channel mode.

All I am asking is that Intel confirm, or otherwise, that this NUC does, or does not, support dual channel mode.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello everybody. Have you tried an evaluation tool on the system like CPU-Z to confirm the memory channel reported? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
rgord1
Novice

Yes. Many people have tried. It was reported in multiple threads in this forum, some of which cannot now be found since the revamp. CPU-Z is still displaying a greyout on the memory tab. HWINFO originally had no information about memory, but recent updates report Dual Channel. Similarly AIDA originally showed Dual Channel with Single Channel Active, but recent updates now report Dual Channel Active.

Notwithstanding what and how these third party tools may be displaying, there has been no speed improvement to the memory in this NUC since they were modified to report differently. Hence my question once again: does this NUC support dual channel mode as users have reasonably come to expect, with a significant memory speed improvement over single channel, or not? At the moment addition of a second stick of memory results in a marginal improvement in speed, nowhere near what would be expected from dual channel mode.

Last I saw, a Diego S of Intel was conducting further testing of the memory configuration in this NUC. To my knowledge there have never been any results from that testing posted on this forum. If Intel's testing has indicated that dual channel memory performance can be improved with a bios update, I ask that this be reported. On the other hand if there is no prospect of any improvement of dual channel memory performance with this NUC I ask that this be reported. Users need to know what performance they can reasonably expect from a device that they have invested in.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello rgord1 In order to look into the thread the in which Diego is completing the investigation can you provide me with the link/name of the thread? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
rgord1
Novice

It is referred to in this thread that I posted previously https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490URrSAM/gskill-memory-for-nuc7pjyh

I quote:

"Hi Vishwesh,

Yes I know this thread. See my post there my post # 16. I'm affraid that Diegos answer in this post was in good intention, but without verifying this matter. Lets us wait till Diego will complete his further research regarding the Dual Channel mode for your Intel® NUC Kit NUC7PJYH.

Leon"

I cannot find the original thread referred to therein.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello rgord1 Thank you for the details about the other forums allow me to investigate the case, i will be posting back as soon as possible. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
rgord1
Novice

Thank you Leonardo.

Regards

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello rgord1 Thank you for waiting. I would like to share with you that we don't officially recommend any third party tools, but that we are aware that for the June Canyon family, that AIDA64 has been updated to show dual channel mode for memory. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
rgord1
Novice

Thank you.

Can you tell me if:

1. Intel conducted further research on the performance of two channel memory in this NUC?
  2. What their results may have been regarding dual channel memory performance in this NUC?
  3. How Intel might have been able to achieve memory performance with this NUC of 38.4 GB/s as advertised at https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits/nuc7pjyh.html, when maximum memory performance as tested by users at https://forums.intel.com/s/feed/0D50P000049uuhrSAA is less than half of that speed?

Regards

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello rgord1 Let me look into you inquiries, i will be posting back as soon as news becomes available. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
rgord1
Novice

Thanks Again.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello rgord1 The specification listed on ARK, where it reads Max Memory Bandwidth = 38.4 GB/s and also in the datasheet is a theoretical specification and not observable using solely a core-based memory bandwidth benchmark. It refers to the sum of total bandwidth from all the requestors (Graphics, Cores, RAM, etc) in the SoC to the memory subsystem. It does not mean that any specific requestor in the SoC will be able to achieve that bandwidth. So, when running a core-driven memory bandwidth test, 38.4 GB/s bandwidth will never be observed. Product Specifications > Intel® NUC Kit NUC7PJYH https://ark.intel.com/products/126137/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7PJYH We apologize if the information on the web created an expectation that 38.4 GB/s memory bandwidth was achievable in regular core-to-memory subsystem testing. To answer the specific questions: 1. Intel conducted further research on the performance of two channel memory in this NUC? Yes, Dual Channel Memory is fully supported 2. What their results may have been regarding dual channel memory performance in this NUC? NUC supports Dual Channel 3. How Intel might have been able to achieve memory performance with this NUC of 38.4 GB/s as advertised? See above response. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation