Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JRobe27
Beginner

NUC7PJYH - Help please for a newbie who is having IR remote control issues! Well basically it doesn't work.(NON Windows User)

NUC7PJYH -

Hi I have just purchased this NUC - I have installed the RAM and SSD. I updated the bios from the one it came with (Think it was 31) to the latest 47.

I am not running windows at all , as my only operating system is Libreelec. Bios updated ok and Libreelec installed to the SSD ok.

When I have tried to use my IR remote control nothing happens. I was of the opinion that the IR issues had been rectified on BIOS 46 and upwards.

I have not installed any driver or anything as they appear to all be for windows but please correct me if I am wrong. I am using a xbox one IR remote that I used on my old DN2820 nuc which was perfect.

Could anyone offer me any guidance as to what to try to resolve this as it will mean the NUC is useless to me if I cant control with a remote to access my locally stored movies etc.

I haven't tried a Bluetooth remote yet , but I wonder if that also needs some tinkering somewhere? Do I need to change any setting in BIOS screens?

Appreciate any help and my last NUC DN2820 worked like a charm, but as you can guess I am not very knowledgeable with computers etc.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You neglected to mention what remote we are talking about.

In the latest BIOS, I see only three parameters related to CIR:

• In Advanced / Devices and Peripherals / Onboard Devices / Legacy Device Configuration, a checkbox enables Enhanced Consumer IR.
  • In Advanced / Power / Secondary Power Settings, checkboxes enable Wake from S3 via CIR and Wake from S4 and S5 via CIR.

Specifically, there no longer seems to be a parameter for choosing the type of IR Remote.

I have a Rosewill RC6 Remote (model RHRC-11001). It has no problems waking my JY NUC from both S3/S4/S5.

...S

JRobe27
Beginner

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I did advise in my post the remote is an Xbox one remote , this was an error.

The remote is a Xbox 360 media remote, rc6 I believe .

Thanks

Jamie

n_scott_pearson

Sorry, all I can tell you is that the BIOS settings in the BIOS do work and that I can use my RC6 remote to wake the JY NUC from S3/S4/S5. Further, within Windows 10, I can use my RC6 remote to put the NUC to sleep. Whether Linux in general and Libreelec specifically have support for the particular ITE SIO used in the JY NUCs is beyond my ken. You should ask about this in the Linux and Libreelec forums.

...S

JRobe27
Beginner

Hi Scott

Thanks again for the reply . I’ve contacted libreelec and they confirm all is in order there end.

i was advised to install bios 44 then 47 again , do you think that would make any difference as there was an intel bios change to rectify the consumer ir issue with Linux at some point?

sorry that I may sound vague as im not too knowledgeable with computers .

jamie

n_scott_pearson

I see this all the time. Some idiot randomly trying things and, when they accidentally hit upon the right thing, start describing some complicated set of operations that "must" be performed "in this order" to fix the problem. It is usually complete and utter crap and has nothing to do with reality.

Unless we are talking about one of the (thankfully rare) cases where Intel has screwed up and a new(er) BIOS is injecting error(s) not seen previously, you want to install the latest available BIOS. Further, if you want to be absolutely sure that the latest BIOS update operation carries no "baggage" from previous update operations, you want to (A) install (or reinstall) the latest BIOS using the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process and (B) reset the BIOS configuration to defaults.

The jumper-based BIOS Recovery process is detailed here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html?wapkw=bios+recovery. At the end of the BIOS Recovery process, when it asks you to power off to restore jumper, *really* power off. That is, don't just hit the power button; disconnect the power adapter from the NUC. Keep it disconnected for 30 seconds (to ensure all power fully drained). Pressing the power button while the power adapter is unplugged will hasten this drain.

For Step B, I have a specific process that I use that ensures that all configuration dependencies are taken into account (i.e. where the setting of one BIOS configuration parameter affects the availability/applicability/choices of other BIOS configuration parameter(s)):

1. During the first power up after doing BIOS Recovery, when BIOS POST splash screen appears, press F2 key to enter BIOS Setup (the Visual BIOS program).
  2. Press F9 key (followed by Y key) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  3. Press F10 key (followed by Y key) to save this default BIOS Configuration and reboot.
  4. When you see BIOS POST splash screen appear, again press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  5. Make any changes to the BIOS configuration that you desire (turning NUMLOCK off, for example) or that your hardware/software configuration requires (modifying Boot Order, for example).
  6. Press F10 key (followed by Y key) to save updated BIOS Configuration and reboot.
  7. Test.

I have seen no feedback that would indicate that the changes made in BIOS 46 to fix Linux CIR issues do not work. Update the BIOS as I suggested and see what happens then. Also make sure that you have all the latest updates to Linux and Libreelec installed.

Hope this helps,

...S

P.S. Ok, there are a lot of people who are scared witless by the jumper-based BIOS Recovery process. Specifically, they are scared by the requirement to open the chassis to remove/restore the BIOS Configuration jumper. You can, if you insist, use the "soft" BIOS Recovery operation initiated from the Power Button Menu. I personally do not like this method, as it doesn't perform as complete a job as the jumper-based process does, but my reasoning for this is mired in my paranoia regarding some of the Intel Management Engine (ME) firmware update issues that have occurred in the past. In this case, since the ME is not a contributor to the outstanding issues we're looking at, you should (touch wood) be able to get away with using the "soft" method.

JRobe27
Beginner

Hi Scott

It seems the ir issue was a simpler one . I saw one of your other replies on this board re bios settings for IR and to ensure it’s activated .

once I checked that , it’s now working , but sadly the range is very poor compared to my older Nuc.

as you obviously know your stuff , is there anything else your aware of I should change or activate in bios to ensure the nuc works as best as possible as a home media player server ?

appreciate your help on this

Jamie

n_scott_pearson

Yea, I have heard other folks complaining about JY's CIR having a shorter range and smaller field. I don't know what to suggest for that. I will talk to the design team and respond if they have any suggestions.

You should be good to go with the default settings (give or take having to enable CIR support). You want to make sure that you are using software that can make use of the hardware for transcoding. It would suck if it had to do this in software.

...S