Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterNUC
New Contributor I

NUC7PJYH - No audio from the rear audio jack

When I plug a headset or amplified speakers into the back panel audio socket I do not get any any sound and no reaction from the system. When I plug them into the front panel socket the system asks what is it (so I choose accordingly) and then I get sound (and mic input in the case of headset).

Realtek Audio driver: 6.0.1.8443 - installed automatically by Windows Updates . The driver on the Intel downloads page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27586/Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-for-Intel-NUC-K... Download Realtek* High Definition Audio Driver for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7CJYH, NUC7PJYH is older (6.0.1.8372).

What should I do to audio working on the back panel audio socket?

Thanks, Peter

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Peter,

While your speakers are connected to the rear socket, press right mouse click on the speaker icon, located on the R.H.side of the task bar. Now, press left mouse click on "Troubleshoot sound problems". Follow the instructions.

Leon

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Leon,

Thanks for the advice. When I tried that I was asked which device do I want to troubleshoot and 3 options:

Realtek Digital output - Realtek(R) Audio (Current Default Device)

No jack information available

SAMSUNG - Intel(R) Audio for displays

The connector for this device is located in the HDMI connector.

Speakers - Realtek(R) Audio

The connector for this device is located on the front side of the computer.

When I choose the first option it advises to turn off enhancements: "Turning off audio enhancements might improve sound quality. To turn them off, use the "disable all" checkbox or uncheck them individually, then click "apply". If you don't see an enhancements tab then your device doesn't have any enhancements." I do not have an enhancements tab. After that it says that it could not identify the problem.

When I choose the third option it says "The device does not appear to be plugged in. Check the connection, plug in the device, then click next", which is meaningful, since the device is plugged in the rear connector, not in the front one.

Which option should I choose? Or should I see an additional one for the rear connector? What am I missing?

Thank you, Peter

LeonWaksman
Super User

Peter,

Your speaker should be connected and switched ON.

1. In the first screen of troubleshooter, do you see black dot near one of the options? Could be that this is the third option:

"Speakers - Realtek(R) Audio

The connector for this device is located on the front side of the computer."

If yes, leave this option and if the black dot is near the first option, leave it there and press NEXT

2. On the screen Turn off Sound Effects..." , press on the second option: No, do not open Audio Enchantments

3. No press on Play test sounds - answer the question how did you hear the sound

Hope you will end the troubleshooting successfully.

Leon

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Leon,

Thank you so mush for trying to help.

Speaker switched ON, tested on the front connector and plugged to the rear one. No notification follows.

Right button > Troubleshoot sound problems. Get this screen:

(there are some pieces in Russian, which I have translated in my previous post).

The black dot is near the first option - I leave it there and press Next.

Choose "No, do not open Audio Enchantments" and get

and the only button, which says "Close". There is no "Play test sounds" option. When I press this button or choose the "Close the troubleshooter" option, the window disappears.

When I test it in the Sound control panel, it shows the bars, but produces no sound:

Note, that the first option is greyed out. It becomes normal only when I plug speakers into the front connector.

So, in my case there were NO "Play test sounds" option to press on, and no question about how did I hear the sound. Do I need to do something else to get to this "Play test sounds" option?

Thank you,

Peter
LeonWaksman
Super User

Peter,

If I understand Russian correctly (and I understand quite well), during troubleshooting, you shall choose the option Динамик => loudspeaker. Also on the sound panel you may choose Динамик and than press mouse right click on this. A menu will open. Select Properties. In General tab, you shall be able to choose rear panel jack and also you shall be able to enable this device.

Leon

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Leon,

Here is my report.

I preformed the uninstall (with delete) procedure from your post # 5 and the rear connector sound miraculously appeared! (Windows installed the 6.0.1.8443 driver once I scanned for HW changes).

• However, when I unplug and plug it back - it does not appear anymore.
  • However, after reboot the sound returns.
  • Sleep-wakup does not change the status.

So, if the jack stays there - it works.

Besides, it is possible to restore the rear-connector sound without rebooting:

Run *Realtek Audio Console"

Choose

This screen appears:

Note, that the "Back Panel" connector is shown as active, while Windows is not aware about that:

Switch to

We get this:

and back to

And the sound is back again.

=============

Regarding your post # 6 on troubleshooting. That's how it goes:

Next

Next

Detecting additional problems

NO LUCK!

====================

And finally, in the Sound panel

Right click and select Properties:

Looks fine, device IS enabled. No way to choose Front or Rear (Rear is already chosen). But in the Sound panel it's said "Not plugged in"

Well, it looks like Realtek senses when the rear jack is plugged in, but does not report to Windows correctly. But, if one does not need to unplug it often - it WORKS. I can live with that. 

Thanks a lot for your support and guiding ideas.

Best,

Peter

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Since (well, I would presume) you would not typically be unplugging a set of speakers, the issue is going to be what happens if you plug in a set of headphones for some period of time. You might want to experiment with this to ensure that, when you unplug the headphones, it will revert to the speakers.

...S

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Scott,

That's a good point. I checked it. And, guess what,... IT WORKS!

I plugged in headphones into the front connector. Windows asked to confirm that it's headphones, and after I did that the sound went to the headphones. After I unplugged them the sound went back.

It is even possible to configure (via Realtek Audio Console) front and back as two separate devices, but I never checked that this feature works OK.

By the way, does anybody know, am I the only one who has such back-panel-audio-connector auto-detection problem, or is it common?

Peter

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Well, it is good to know you have a way to at least avoid the issue occurring. This problem with detection still needs to be looked at.

All I can say is that this is the only report of an issue that I have seen related to analog audio output via this jack. The other issues I remember seeing were related to digital (TOSlink) audio output via this jack and getting other than (just) Stereo output.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Peter,

One more thing. Now, while you speaker is functioning connected to the rear socket, I thing that your problem is solved. I would like to suggest to you, instead to use headphone connected in the front, use headphone with bluetooth connection. Bluetooth headphone is much more convenient to use.

Leon

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Scott,

Thanks for the info regarding digital audio output. I might want to use it, but not before I find a compatible TV set (supporting 4K @60Hz 4:4:4 chroma).

By the way, today I experienced another sound-related issue, which I described in a separate thread:

Peter

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Leon,

Sure, Bluetooth headphone is convenient. I have them and use once in a while with another PC.

Peter

LeonWaksman
Super User

Peter

I don't have NUC7PJYH to experiment with. I this case I'll try this:

1. Uninstall realtek audio driver from the Hardware Management Panel. Choose Delete option, rather than Uninstall.

2. Connect speakers (ON) and press look for hardware change. WINDOWS should install driver again.

Leon