cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CCarb
New Contributor I

NUC7PJYH no Visual BIOS on HDMI console after upgrade to 0041

Jump to solution

after upgrading to 0041 BIOS when i select F2 to get to the BIOS Settings my HDMI monitor goes dark.

using a VGA to HDMI adapter works however to a VGA monitor.

Anyone have a workaround to this?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
CCarb
New Contributor I

OK, this NUC "liked" my Samsung model UN32J5205AF

I'll just use the VGA adapter for the Colby; and Colby CAN handle 1024x768

View solution in original post

16 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello cpcnetworking,

I understand that you are currently experiencing an issue when trying to access the BIOS after the BIOS update.

I would like to start by mentioning that the problem could be an issue with the previous BIOS update and it could be fixed by doing a BIOS recovery. If it does work after this then it means that it was the issue. Make sure to download the .bio file from the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27949/BIOS-Update-JYGLKCPX-86A-?product=126137 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27949/BIOS-Update-JYGLKCPX-86A-?product=126137

After the download, please follow the steps in the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

*I would recommend you to follow the "power button" method.*

Once the recovery has been completed, check again to see if the issue has been resolved. I would also like to ask you, the connection that is failing is straight HDMI to HDMI connection? This is just to have more information in case further research must be done.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
CCarb
New Contributor I

Yes it is only failing on HDMI to HDMI; when I use a VGA/HDMI adapter there is no problem.

CCarb
New Contributor I

OK I did the upgrade again as was mentioned in all your recommendations and, on bootup pressing F2 does not bring up the Visual BIOS settings screen/console when connected to an HDMI monitor. I have to use a VGA to HDMI adapter using a VGA/DVI monitor to see the Visual BIOS manager. I also tried changing the IDP from automatic to HDMI-1 and backup HDMI-2. This is not a show-stopper for me just an inconvenience. Hopefully this can be looked into a bit further and maybe addressed in a future BIOS FW upgrade.

idata
Community Manager

Hello cpcnetworking,

Thank you for your response.

Since you are still experiencing problems with this, I will try to test this myself and see if the issue is present as well. Please allow me some time while the testing is done, I will be getting back to you as soon as possible.

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello cpcnetworking,

Thank you for your patience.

We are still working on this. I will be getting back to you as soon as possible, I apologize for the delay and any inconvenience.

Regards,

David V
CCarb
New Contributor I

OK...i'm not notifications on my questions so i have to login to see any replies..i'll check back

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello cpcnetworking ,

I agree with David V that you shall recover your Bios from Power Button Menu. Since reaching the Power Button Menu can be tricky, I'll give here some more detailed instructions:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file JY0041.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27949/BIOS-Update-JYGLKCPX-86A-?product=126137 Download BIOS Update [JYGLKCPX.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
  2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. You can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:

If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you shall recover your Bios using Security Jumper method

Hope this will help

Leon

CCarb
New Contributor I

OK I will try this later and report back

idata
Community Manager

Hello cpcnetworking,

Thank you for your patience.

I was replicating the issue with a NUC7PJYH we have here and I connected the NUC via HDMI to HDMI to an HP monitor. There were no issues when accessing the BIOS whatsoever. After some research I found the following article which mentions that the problem could be that your monitor does not support the 1024x768 resolution. Here is the link of the article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005847/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005847/mini-pcs.html

I would recommend you to try to access the BIOS when connecting the system to a different HDMI monitor just to test this theory.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
CCarb
New Contributor I

OK

regarding that support link

Can't Access BIOS Setup with F2 Key for Intel® NUC

Last Reviewed: 27-Jul-2018

Article ID: 000005847

my boot settings are:

Fast Boot is disabled

HDMI resolution on monitor isn't supported:

my TV can handle 1920x1080 resolution

Intel® NUC is connected to a USB monitor:

it is not a USB monitor it is a Colby TV (out-of-business circa 2013) it has minimal settings choices

This was working before the upgrade to 0041

I will test this on a Samsung TV

LeonWaksman
Super User

The question was if your TV can handle 1024x768 resolution? Some TV sets can handle 1920x1080 resolution, but can't handle 1024x768 resolution. You shall check the user manual of your TV set.

Leon

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Hi cpcnetworking,

What monitor are you using? Did you try to connect your NUC to another monitor or TV?

My NUC7PJYH does not like Samsung brand. Specifically, I experienced very similar behavior with Samsung U28E590D 4K display (and a bunch of Samsung 4K TV). Specifically when I start the PC, the NUC logo appears, but after I press F2 - the screen freezes. I guess it reaches BIOS, but shows nothing. When I short-press power button on NUC - it shuts down (as it normally does in BIOS).

Hope this helps,

Peter

CCarb
New Contributor I

Screen does not freeze it goes blank; and no it's not a Samsung..and i don't think the brand should matter

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Sure, it should not, but it does. Therefore, it might be helpful to try it with another brand/model.

CCarb
New Contributor I

OK, this NUC "liked" my Samsung model UN32J5205AF

I'll just use the VGA adapter for the Colby; and Colby CAN handle 1024x768

View solution in original post

PeterNUC
New Contributor I

Good to hear about some success. Your story agrees with my observations that NUC7PJYH is surprisingly "picky" without any meaningful reasons.