Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i3BN And Gorite Stackable 'Memory' Unit

I just purchased a 'tall version with Optane Memory Module' NUCi3BN unit and outfitted it with 8GB memory and a 500GB Samsung 960 EVO NNMe SSD drive. Of course, this left the 16MB Optane memory module unusable since I used the M.2 for the EVO SSD. Was browsing the Gorite site to look at their lids and ran across a little external, stackable unit that could house 2 M.2 SSD's which I think could run in RAID.

My question is:

Could I possibly use the enclosure to run 2 Optane Memory Modules into the Type-C port of the NUC and it operable or usable? I don't think I want to give up my onboard M.2 because it provides the faster PCI lane for the NVMe EVO SSD. Just something that popped into my head and wanted to get some feedback.

Many thanks in advance...

Nate

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

This is the Gorite 'memory enclosure':http://www.gorite.com/stack-able-base-unit-7th-gen-nuc

Stack-Able Memory Enclosure Base Unit for 7th Gen Intel NUC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Bamadawg63,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

Unfortunately, using a stack-able memory enclosure Base Unit is not supported by Intel® Optane™ memory modules. The Intel® Optane™ memory module has to be installed into the M.2 connector to enable system acceleration and it is available for SATA-based storage devices (HDD, SSHD, or SATA SSD) only; No acceleration of a secondary (Data) drive is supported.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Bamadawg63,

I hope you found the information provided useful. Please let me know if you need any further help.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos