Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11433 Discussions

NUC7i3BNH HD audio passthrough problems

MSado1
Novice

I have NUC7i3BNH with Windows 10 and Kodi 17.0 installed. Everything works fine except HD audio. I'm using hdmi connection to Marantz SR7009 and it doesn't recognize Dolby Digital Plus stream. DTS-HD works, but there is minor stuttering when starting or resuming playback. This is also happening with other players, so it is not issue with Kodi.

I have the latest BIOS (0036) and HDMI firmware (1.61).

My second unit (NUC6I3SYK) works fine with the same settings and programs.

Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MSado1
Novice

After updating to hdmi firmware to 1.66, EAC3 and all other HD audio formats are working, good job and thanks.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi,

There is a long discussion on similar subject: From reading this thread I can understand that Intel is still working to solve this.

Leon

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sadko,

I'm sorry for the issue on the NUC and I will appreciate your patience on waiting for a solution.

If the issue you have is similar to the link lw1948 posted please be aware that we are still working on a solution and I suggest you to keep checking on that post.

Best regards,

Ivan.

MSado1
Novice

Just FYI:

updated hdmi firmware to 1.65. DTS-HD works flawlessly, no stuttering, but still no luck with EAC3.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Great to hear that, at least we have some progress now.

Please keep an eye on the post from the link above for a solution.

Best regards,

Ivan.

MSado1
Novice

After updating to hdmi firmware to 1.66, EAC3 and all other HD audio formats are working, good job and thanks.

View solution in original post

IUman
Honored Contributor II

You are more than welcome!

I'm glad that it worked for you and I hope you can have a better experience with your system from now on.

Best wishes,

Ivan.

mturi1
Beginner

Hi,

I installed the latest BIOS 46 and 1.66 HDMI firmware but this issue is still there under OpenElec and LibreElec. Apparently under any LINUX distribution.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello,

This seems to be an issue related with Linux and not the Intel® NUC, you can check here:

/thread/115058 https://communities.intel.com/thread/115058

Check the correct answer.

Regards,

Ivan U.

mturi1
Beginner

Yes, I see.

I would normally assume that Intel will test their hardware on at least 2 dominating operating systems like Windows and Linux.

Pointing out that it works only under Windows is not very professional from a multi billion international company.

I mean this in a way that the expectations are high when it comes to Intel products.

Cheers!

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello MWZ99,

I understand and I'm sorry for any inconvenience, hopefully this will be solve soon and you will be able to use Linux* on this unit without issue.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Mike,

Here's the problem: There are many tens, if not hundreds, of distributions out there, many hundreds of active versions of these distributions and many thousands of possible installations (once you factor in things like necessary kernel and driver updates). The cost for fully and properly validating a single O/S release is significant. Each supported installation of Linux (unfortunately, you can't just say 'distribution'; there are simply too many variables involved) has the same cost for validation as a release of Windows does. Contemplating multiplying this cost by tens if not hundreds of times is simply not going to happen -- not when the cost for this validation and its support must be incorporated into the unit price for the product and especially considering that there must be a reasonable expectation that there will be at least the possibility of a profit (and certainly not a loss) being made across the projected sales volume for the unit (why would Intel make the product otherwise?). Bottom line, Intel has made a business decision to not formally support Linux. You may not like this decision, but that certainly doesn't make it in any way, shape or form unprofessional.

...S

mturi1
Beginner

Thank you very much for this in deep analysis of (again) a multi billion dollar corporation. It's touching...

But all I see is, paying customers are suffering!