cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i3BNH installed arch linux and unable to enter BIOS/GRUB2 menu

Hi,

I just recieved a NUC7i3BNH as a gift. It came pre-installed with Win 10. Being a linux user I updated BIOS through Win 10 and proceeded to install arch linux.

I am using a Logitech MK325 wireless keyboard and mouse. (there is a USB reciever for them connected on front port)

The USB keyboard and mouse worked great for BIOS as long as windows was installed. With arch linux I am unable to use keyboard to enter BIOS options or GRUB2 options. Once OS boots up everything works great.

Latest up to date arch linux and latest BIOS for said NUC model.

How can I get the keyboard/mouse to work during Intel NUC splash screen in order to enter BIOS?

Thanks,

rkv

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

In my testing, I am using Logitech K410 (keyboard with integrated trackpad), MK270 (combo containing K270/M185) and K250/M325 (self-created combo using Logitech Unifying Software) across a plethora of NUC models, including BN. In the case of the K410, I thought it wasn't working with the BIOS, but eventually (and embarrassingly) discovered that you have to (also) press the FN key to get the keyboard to send function key keystrokes! Other than that, I have had no issues entering BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) using any of these keyboards/combinations - and this regardless of O/S installed (read: O/S installed should not affect BIOS operation).

I have a number of suggestions:

1. Make sure you are running on the latest BIOS.
  2. In BIOS Setup, don't enable Fast Boot, as this will prevent the BIOS from seeing any keystrokes.
  3. If pressing the F2 key accomplishes nothing or hangs the system, it could be because the connected TV/monitor does not support the 1024x768 resolution. This is a requirement for Visual BIOS display. Try a different display.
  4. Try using the Power Button Menu to get into Visual BIOS. That is, power on the system holding the power button down for roughly three seconds. The system should respond with the menu (it can take a few seconds to appear). You then use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. Note: if you hold down the power button for too long (4 seconds), the system will simply power itself back off (this is a hardware-level chipset feature that cannot be disabled). If this happens, just try again.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks a bunch Scott.

This is embarassing - I woke up this morning and gave it another try. Lo and behold...........I was able to get into BIOS!!!!!!

I changed the USB receiver from front left (blue) port to the right (yellow) port. This seems strange because ever since first setup of the NUC the USB receiver was always in the left blue port. (L and R from viewers perspective while facing the NUC front power button)

I did try using the Fn key yesterday it didnt work. Today it works without Fn. Let me try it a few more times and get back to you.

Thanks a bunch!

rkv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Scott,

I tried a few more times and am unable to get through to BIOS.

Ur suggestions were:

I have a number of suggestions:

1. Make sure you are running on the latest BIOS.
  2. In BIOS Setup, don't enable Fast Boot, as this will prevent the BIOS from seeing any keystrokes.
  3. If pressing the F2 key accomplishes nothing or hangs the system, it could be because the connected TV/monitor does not support the 1024x768 resolution. This is a requirement for Visual BIOS display. Try a different display.
  4. Try using the Power Button Menu to get into Visual BIOS. That is, power on the system holding the power button down for roughly three seconds. The system should respond with the menu (it can take a few seconds to appear). You then use the F2 key to enter BIOS Setup. Note: if you hold down the power button for too long (4 seconds), the system will simply power itself back off (this is a hardware-level chipset feature that cannot be disabled). If this happens, just try again.

My comments:

for 1 above: - running 20181019 version.

for 2 above: - the one time I got through this morning I noticed Fast boot was disabled

for 3 above: - I got through with this display earlier without any issues. (8 yr old samsung LCD TV)

for 4 above: - I did this and now my NUC wont boot!!!! Says:

" BIOS detected unsuccessful POST attempt(s).

Possible causes include recent changes to BIOS

Performance options or recent hardware change.

Press Y to enter setup or N to cancel and attempt

to boot with previous settings."

and keystrokes not detected when I press Y or N.

Rebooting brings me to message above.

Any suggestions??

Thanks,

rkv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I disconnected everything from the NUC. (HDMI, power, ethernet cable, USB receiver and external USB drive)

Reconnected and booted. It works 100% of the time.

Seems to me like a timing issue. Once the splash screen comes up and the F2/F7/F10 options show up the system does not respond to first couple of F2's. Just a moment before the splash screen disappears the F2 pressed then works 100% of the time.

Anyhow, tried it a few dozen times seems to work for now. Will run it for a few hours and try again and get back to you. Worst case at least I know that disconnecting everything and reconnecting works 100%.

Thanks a bunch!

rkv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

What is probably happening here is you are missing the small windows within which the NUC waits for a key to be pressed. Your best bet is to start pressing the F2 key immediately after pressing the button to power on or starting when the screen is cleared during an O/S restart. Press it quickly, over and over, until it is accepted.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos