Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i3BNH second SATA port?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I recently bought a NUC7i3BNH. In the tech specs it says it has 2 internal SATA connections, but the board has only one connector. How can I connect a second SATA drive?

Thanks in advance,

DuKH.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The second SATA lane is routed to the M.2 connector primarily to support M.2 SATA SSDs. It is possible, however, to get a M.2 card that exposes the SATA lane as a SATA connector. There is no internal source for powering the connected drive and there is no room to house this second drive within the chassis (in fact, the chassis may not even be able to close with this M.2 card installed).

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

The second SATA lane is routed to the M.2 connector primarily to support M.2 SATA SSDs. It is possible, however, to get a M.2 card that exposes the SATA lane as a SATA connector. There is no internal source for powering the connected drive and there is no room to house this second drive within the chassis (in fact, the chassis may not even be able to close with this M.2 card installed).

...S

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for your reply, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Can you point me to where I can get such a M.2 card (that exposes the SATA connector)?

[ EDIT: I found this item https://www.amazon.com/SATA-NGFF-Socket-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00XQ9MZIW SATA HDD to M.2 NGFF Socket Adapter Converter Card: Computers & Accessories is this it? ]

Thanks again,

Pedro.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, though there are others. Check the MicroSATACables site for a selection.

...S

0 Kudos