cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T_
Novice

NUC7i3BNK Bios 0070 Update Fails

Jump to solution

My NUC7i3BNK fails to update bios 0063 to 0070 either through DSA 3.6.0.4 update or by manual download & installation.

Shortly after installation installation just stops / installation window disappear.

Win 10 Home 1803, 64 bit.

Following is the relevant part of the log that I found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA\ServiceHelper.log

Date/Time Severity Class Method Data Message

30/10/18 10:14:22 Information DSAServiceHelper.Program Main () Started version 3.6.0.4 with arguments: install 6071811986763607330 28265

30/10/18 10:14:26 Information DSAServiceHelper.Program Main () Install: Restarted as administrator. New process id is 9272

30/10/18 10:14:26 Information DSAServiceHelper.Program Main () Exiting with exit code 9272

Date/Time Severity Class Method Data Message

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Program Main () Started version 3.6.0.4 with arguments: install 6071811986763607330 28265

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Install Start (sessionId: 6071811986763607330, downloadCenterRecordId: 28265) Start

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Install InstallFile (installDetail: DSACore.WcfModels.InstallDetail, extension: .msi) Start

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAUtility.InstallationHelper StartMsi (filePath: C:\Users\User\Downloads\Intel Driver and Support Assistant\BNKBL357.86A.0070.EB.msi, workingDir: C:\Users\User\Downloads\Intel Driver and Support Assistant) Start

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAUtility.InstallationHelper StartMsi (7300) End

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Install InstallFile (7300) End

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Install Start (7300) End

30/10/18 10:14:27 Information DSAServiceHelper.Program Main () Exiting with exit code 7300

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Liraz,

Could be that the existing bios code was damaged by you installation using DSA. In this case I suggest to recover your bios from Power Button Menu:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BN0070.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28265/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95069 Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
  2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. While you see the LED color change , release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:

If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you may recover your Bios using Security Jumper method https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Leon

View solution in original post

9 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Liraz,

Could be that the existing bios code was damaged by you installation using DSA. In this case I suggest to recover your bios from Power Button Menu:

1. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BN0070.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28265/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95069 Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A] ) on this stick and insert it into USB slot (NUC shall be OFF).
  2. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. While you see the LED color change , release the Power Button - NUC shall reboot into Power Button Menu.
  3. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  4. When the recovery finishes, pull out the power cord.
  5. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  6. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  7. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.
  8. If before update, you have customized bios settings, you can enter again to Bios setting to change the necessary settings.

Note:

If for some reason you have difficulty to boot into Power Button Menu, you may recover your Bios using Security Jumper method https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html

Leon

View solution in original post

ACora1
Beginner

Dear Leon;

I have the same problem.

The recommended procedure is too difficult for me and I could create damage or problems.

Is it possible to request a warranty intervention? even if the time has expired, given that the problem was caused by a defect of the Intel DSA application?

If the answer is "yes" I have to do

Thank you
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Antonino ,

You can check the warranty coverage for your NUC here: https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US Warranty Information . Usually the NUC kit is covered by 3 years of warranty service. I have to inform you that I'm not Intel's employee and/or support agent neither. I'm participating in this forum, trying to help other users solve their problems with NUC products. So, I can not give you certified answer if in order to update bios, you can ask for warranty coverage. In my opinion you can't. Updating Bios or drivers is usual and common practice in computers. This is not a fault. We can thank Intel that is improving this product. Will you complain to Microsoft that is updating its software (and many times causing problems by doing this)? So, my suggestion is that if the defined by me process for bios update is complicated for you, better ask some body for help. However, if as result of bios recovery, your NUC will become bricked, then I believe you may ask Intel for RMA to replace your NUC (if still is covered by warranty).

Regards

Leon

ACora1
Beginner

Leon

if you're not Intel it's even better because you do not have to defend iNTEL'S interests

I do not understand one thing: if Intel with an instrument that makes available to its customers"the DSA" generates a problem to one of its users and this makes the next update operation of the bios particularly laborious; Why Intel should not respond at least with an extension of the warranty on this specific point?

I have no friends who can help me and the store that sold me the NUC asked me € 20 to update the bios. My NUC is no longer protected by warranty. But if it's Intel that caused the problem with faulty software, I think things are different.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion and your suggestions. If I find someone who applies your procedure to my NUC and all will be all right, I'll let you know.

For now I leave the BIOS 0056

Regards Nino

ACora1
Beginner

Dear Leon

as I promised I'll tell you about the outcome.

I found an old friend who, in exchange for a good lunch prepared by me, helped me to perform the procedure indicated by you step by step:

it worked perfectly and now there is the 0070 version of the bios.

But I must say that I find it is unacceptable that Intel with its own update systems (DSA) damage the firmware of its equipment and make it necessary to use more complex recovery procedures like the one you indicated.

And without even an apology to his customers.

The NUC is a good piece of hardware but the continuous updating of Windows 10 on one side and the Intel drivers on the other have been exhausting me. I would never buy an item like this to make Home theater; I spent more time on solving "bugs" than watching movies and shows.

Anyway, thanks to you for the excellent explanation

Hello

Antonino
LeonWaksman
Super User

Dear Antonino,

I'm more than happy that you succeeded with this update, following my instructions. About Intel's DSA I can only say that Intel is improving this product in order to make updates simpler. However in the mean time, I prefer the manual update. Is not so complicated, once you learn this.

What is interesting that this thread was opened by Liraz and although I wrote those instruction for her, she did not commented at all.

Regards

Leon

ACora1
Beginner

Dear Leon

I am convinced that giving feedback to those who provide solutions to your problems is a duty to those who have spent time for you and also useful for those who provided the information to assess the quality. It also provides occasional readers with a way to evaluate.

But with this I do not want to reproach Liraz who perhaps has his good excuses for not having responded

Regards

Antonino
T_
Novice

I don't know if that counts for a good excuse, but I didn't find the time yet to try Leon's solution.

I did however immediately marked his response as helpful, by offering another way to update the Bios.

I promise I will post my findings after trying his solution.

T_
Novice

Thank you Leon for your solution! It worked perfectly and I updated the Bios successfully.

Liraz