Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i3BNK - TypeC to DisplayPort stopped working after 0061 BIOS update

I've been using a Type C to DisplayPort adapter for a few months without issues. I just installed the latest BIOS "BNKBL357.86A.0061.EB" and after the system installed the update and was booting back into Windows, I was getting no output to my monitor. It did install and was logged into the desktop, auto logs in, just wouldn't output anything to the monitor. The monitor kept going into standby mode as if the PC was off. I do have remote access which is why I was able to remote on and see that it was in fact logged in and sitting at the desktop. I disconnected the the adapter, waited a few seconds and then reconnected, thinking that'll reinitialize the display and output. It didn't. The only way to get the Type C port to output again was to temporally connect a monitor using the HDMI port, which popped up immediately. It also reinitialized/turned on the orginal monitor that was using the Type C to DisplayPort, now listed as the 2nd monitor. I removed the HDMI cable and then the Type C port was back as primary and working again.

Is there anything I should do on this system before applying this BIOS update on remote units that are currently configured this way, that hopefully won't require anyone to also connect a HDMI cable to re-enable the Type C port?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Corum,

Thank you for bringing this matter to the Intel® NUC Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this BIOS version.

For testing purposes, can you please roll back to the previous version and let us know the results. This test will help us to isolate this behavior.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Can we roll back the latest BIOS version? I thought we can't do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

The "Release Notes" document does not indicate that it cannot be roll back. I rolled back in one of our units and it worked fine.

Release Notes 0061: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27416/eng/BN_0061_ReleaseNotes.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/27416/eng/BN_0061_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I was able to downgrade "0057" and then ran the "0061" version. Of course I didn't run into that issue again. Don't have another one here to test this on. Will have to try this later on this month, onsite. So if anyone reads this, just be aware that if you happen to be using Type C to DisplayPort to your monitor, it may not output any source to that monitor after updating to the latest BIOS version "0061." Required me to connect an HDMI source to bring back/reinitialize the Type C output.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for performing that test Corum.

I will review your this behavior, and update the thread as soon as possible.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Actually, my recommendation is that, when you see anomalous results after installing the latest available BIOS, the first thing you should do is follow this process:

1. Reinstall this same BIOS release, but this time using the Recovery Method (the Jumper-Based method is best).
  2. After powering back on, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS).
  3. Use F9 (followed by Y) to reset the BIOS Configuration to defaults.
  4. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the current BIOS Configuration.
  5. During POST, use F2 to enter BIOS Setup again.
  6. Make any changes to the BIOS Configuration (Boot Order, SATA Mode, etc.) that you absolutely require to be able to boot.
  7. Use F10 (followed by Y) to exit BIOS Setup saving the current BIOS Configuration.
  8. Test to see if the anomalous behaviour has been eliminated.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Corum,

Thanks for the "heads up" and glad to hear that the issue is solved.

I definitely agree with N.Scott.Pearson on his recommendation about what to do when BIOS update results are anomalous, I am marking that as the correct answer to help other people having similar issues.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos