Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HPets
Beginner

NUC7i3BNK Windows 10 installation hangs

I have a NUC7i3BNK with 8 GB RAM and a Samsung 960 EVO SSD. I want to install Windows 10 Home on it.

The installation starts properly but then gets stuck at 'Getting files ready for installation (%52)'.

Additional information:

1) I used the Windows Media Creation tool downloaded today for creating a bootable USB stick

2) I performed an F7 BIOS Update to the newest version (downloaded today)

3) I tried 5 times (also with different sticks) and the installation always stops at the same percentage (52%)

4) I was able to install Ubuntu properly, so I assume that the hardware is ok

Is there a way (e.g. a log file) to find out the reason for this failure? It must be something very specific and not random. Does this percentage value trigger any guesses?

Thank you

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JRayn
New Contributor I

Is it a clean install or an install over something else, such as Windows 7?

AlHill
Super User

Could not be Windows 7 as only Windows 10 is supported on 7th gen and later processors.

Doc

JRayn
New Contributor I

Yes, of course, you are correct.

Sometimes an over install will fall foul of pre-existing software, especially virus protection so I was just wanting to eliminate that.

It sounds to to me as though it actually is a clean install, in which case I do not know the answer.

HPets
Beginner

It is a super clean install onto a virgin SSD.

I don't know whether it matters but I should mention that the 8 GB RAM is one single memory module. According to the Intel documentation this is possible.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Per your definition you are installing Windows on new SSD, however in the first post you have mentioned that Linux was installed on this SSD? Please verify if your installation is according to steps defined in the following tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html Windows 10 Help Forums . Before starting installation, please set your bios to default settings (UEFI boot should be enabled). Skip on para. 12 (legacy boot) in this tutorial and continue to para 13 (UEFI boot). Pay attention on para.13.A (delete all exiting partitions) and then press Next.

Leon

HPets
Beginner

Hi Leon,

sorry for the long break, I did not have the time to follow up.

Yes, the installation was started onto a new SSD, and at each attempt, all partitions were removed. I only installed Ubuntu after n unsuccessful tries with Windows 10 to ensure the hardware is ok.

I tried again three times today, switching from W10 Home to W10 Pro, but the only change is that the installation reproducibly gets stuck at 50% instead of 52%...

Unfortunately I do not have matching RAMs or SSDs to do the replacement game.

Call me lucky, but I have installed Windows systems for 25 years now and never had any problems. But therefore also not much experience with problem solving. I cannot believe that there is no installation log to get information from. Any idea?

Regards

Hj

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Hj

1. Could be that your Installation Media is corrupted. Prepare a new one. Use other USB stick.

2. Disconnect non essential USB devices (HUB, external disk,...)

2. Please reset your Bios to default settings (UEFI boot should be enabled).

3. While booting (with Installation Media USB inserted), press F10 to get Boot Menu.

4. In Boot Menu chose UEFI option of your installation USB and press enter.

5. Follow the tutorial from my post # 5 above.

Regards

Leon

HPets
Beginner

Hi Leon,

indeed, it was the installation medium!

Although I had tried it with two different USB sticks right from the start, it was the variant that I thought least likely to succeed which brought the breakthrough.

I had started with a 64 GB TDK USB stick and when this did not work, tried it with another one of the same type.

Only this weekend, when already pretty desperate, I gave a chance to a SanDisk microSD card which I had to scratch out of a Raspberry Pi. I put it into one of these tiny, not too reliable looking adapters coming with these cards and it really worked.

Many thanks for your help!

One more question though: How can it be that USB sticks that have worked before and are working still, cannot be read during installation? I have read about problems during booting, but I cannot remember anything about 'bulk reading'.

Best regards

Hj

LeonWaksman
Super User

I'm glad that you have succeed. I suspected that the problem may be in installation media, since the installation was interrupted, reading from this media. I don't know what could be the problem? May be is good to run a checkdisk on it, looking for bad sectors? Try to format this USB using SD Formatter tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association . This is good for USB too.

Leon