Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i5BNB Has Lost 5ghz Wifi

Seems a Microsoft driver update yesterday has killed my 5ghz wifi. I've reinstalled the NUC 3 times tonight, and the 5ghz works for the first 10 minutes after installation (and during installation), then after the update (that I can't quite catch) the connection fails. It connects, but no files can be transferred and connection shows "no internet".

I've got the wifi using the 2.4ghz wifi instead, it's a 1/4 the speed, but enough to still play video.
All latest drivers installed including today's new bios. I've even tried removing the wireless driver, with no luck. I really feel it's another update for a device other than wifi, that has broken the wireless. All my other 5ghz devices have network and internet access. I also tried setting up a guest 5ghz network, but again, the nuc can connect, but can't pass any data.

Any ideas please?
0 Kudos
20 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

So we can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for taking the time to reply, file is attached.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

And this one, Im connected to 5Ghz, but no access to files, NAS, Or internet, I cant even load into the router control screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I would try a driver reinstall.

Since they share hardware, you need to uninstall and reinstall both the Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages. Use this process:

1. If you haven't already, download the latest Wireless and Bluetooth packages from the intel Download Center. Here are links:
    1. Wireless: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29520/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters.
    2. Bluetooth: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29538/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10.
  2. Disable Internet access. Disconnect NUC's Ethernet cable and/or disable Wireless.
  3. From Apps & Features, uninstall the Intel Wireless Bluetooth driver package.
  4. From Device Manager, right-click on entry for Wireless adapter and select Uninstall Device. In the dialog that appears, place checkmark beside Delete the driver software for this device and then click on Uninstall.
  5. Reboot, keeping Internet access disabled.
  6. Install the Intel Bluetooth driver package first.
  7. Install the Intel Wireless driver package second.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Enable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or enable wireless.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi

Happy to try anything at this point. Of note I've reinstalled Windows three times now and during the installation the nuc connection worked fine via 5ghz, it also works after installing the latest wireless drivers, but only until Windows updates a unknown driver in the background, the the wifi on 5ghz stops passing data.

I'll give your suggestions a try and report back.

I also have a flashing black screen issue I need to sort too. Considering replacing it now.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Regarding the flashing black screen, there are two possibilities that come to mind:

1. Issue with cable quality. There are good quality cables and bad quality cables -- and, unfortunately, price often doesn't differentiate one from the other. If it applies, I have a rule: If a cable comes with a monitor, it is crap; get rid of it.
  2. Have you installed the HDMI firmware update for the BN NUCs? If not, the package is available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29162/HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-NUC7i3BN-NUC7i5BN-NUC7.... If you are not sure, you can use the update tool to verify the firmware revision.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi there,

Yes, we're on the same page. However I've tried quite a few things to sort out this flashing black screen issue. Being intermittent is a right pain, sometimes it will run for 9 hours straight without a flash, other times ist flashing away so much you simply can't read it. I had the same issue on the bedroom TV and the Fetch box, and blamed the hdmi sockets. Working the plug in and out would sort it out.

On the NUC I've noticed that it's usually either the projector or the monitor that will flash alone, but "sometimes" both will flicker together, leaving me feeling it's not a cable, this is after..

Latest hdmi firmware has been done (with a hdmi device connected) twice now...
Replacing the hdmi to dvi cable, twice. Swapping between the on board and thunderbolt to dvi/hdmi adapter ports, the flashing appeared on both ports, both cables (actually 3 cables) and both the projector and the monitor. Not it also flashed the first day I got the nuc, before I installed the latest driver, so it's unlikely the driver. This left the monitor. This only had a dvi port so I wondered if this was the issue, guess what, I replaced the monitor too! With a hdcp capable monitor, hdmi, and yet a fourth cable. It ran for two days solid... Then the flashing was back.
I've tried changing refresh rates both up, and down unless 60htz was too fast for the nuc, even right down to 29htz on the projector, this is where I am now, I'm not hopeful.

Of note the graphics driver for this model nuc7i5bnb, was last updated in 2018, and does not seem to support HDCP properly and won't allow me to play Bluray discs or UHD discs! But the latest Intel generic Iris 640 driver (that refuses to install unless first install the main board recommended driver, then uninstall it and install the generic driver right away after) from July this year does play both Bluray and UHD discs, but with the occasional flashes.

I've also tried arranging the "location" of the screens in Display properties to different places, and I've tried running just the monitor and no projector from the on board hdmi when I first installed the nuc, it flashed after about 10 minutes, with no other software installed. (this is what left me thinking it was the monitor that was faulty). We have taken data from both the dvi port, and the hdmi ports on the thunderbolt adapter, and even unplugging the thunderbolt adapter completely...

So now, I'm thinking... It's the nuc, that's all that's left that's "common" to the fault. Have I missed anything you can think of?

Thanks
Kym
0 Kudos
Highlighted

It's not the NUC (well, hardware-wise anyway). It's the graphics drivers. I am thinking that the customization necessary for this NUC are missing. Here's what you need to do:

1. Download the package for driver version 24.20.100.6286 (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28208/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-NUC7i3BN...).
  2. Download the package for the latest driver (here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29784/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers).
  3. Disconnect the NUC from the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless.
  4. Uninstall the currently installed graphics driver package.
  5. Reboot, keeping Internet disconnected.
  6. Install the 24.20.100.6286 version of the driver. This will install the customizations.
  7. Reboot, keeping internet disconnected.
  8. Install the latest driver package.
  9. Reboot.
  10. Reconnect Internet
  11. Test.

What this is doing is getting the driver installed that applies the customizations necessary and then installing the latest over it, thereby retaining the customizations.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi S..

Thanks, but that was the second driver I ran, 6286, it also had the blackouts! And had no bluray playback either?

Thanks
Kym
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again...

Have installed the customised driver, however now the latest drivers refuse to install as the driver "installed is not validated for this computer". This would mean I've definitely lost Bluray and UHD playback on this driver.

Thanks
Kym
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@Ronny_G_Intel / @Bryce_Intel,

I thought all graphics driver packages 8141 and later had support for over-installing customized drivers such that customizations are maintained. Did they back off on this functionality?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

We won't get an answer until tomorrow, unfortunately.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Can confirm I still have bluray playback, but have lost UHD disc playback, it comes up with a hdcp 2.2 error, I can confirm we definitely meet the requirements, as the latest 2020 driver plays these discs fine.

For me, the only way to get the latest driver in, is to install the customised driver, then uninstall the package, then quickly install the latest driver, but as we just found, I lose the customised features.

Just about ready to give up on this nuc and replace it with a generation 10 nuc.
Flashing black screens, loss of 5ghz wifi...

Appreciate your advice though.

K
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey Scott, thanks for reaching out. Essentially you're telling him to downgrade to an OEM non-DCH driver 6286, then updating back to a generic DCH driver which since there's no "OEM" driver that I see available for his device, the installer will block the upgrade because it only allows OEM DCH to OEM DCH, OEM non-DCH to OEM DCH, or OEM DCH to generic DCH upgrades, the latter being what we recently unlocked for users.

You're advising an OEM non-DCH to a generic DCH upgrade, which is not allowable still, simply because it deletes all customizations and can't restore them, resulting in possible major issues like BSOD, TDRs and unfortunately, in this case, screen flicker.

If there are flashes or flickers using a generic driver, we advise going back to the last known working driver until a new driver is available from the OEM... in which case it's our NUC team.

@Ronny_G_Intel can request an updated driver release for this NUC, since it's a 7th Gen it shouldn't be difficult nor timely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks all,

Can confirm that if you install the customised driver, uninstall it then immediately install the latest uncustomised driver, it will install. But although you can then play the 4k discs, you get the black flashes.

Just installing the customised driver from 2018 seems to stop the black flashes, but 4k discs refuse to play with this driver.

After all this, along with the latest driver conflict of drivers disabling the AC network access I've given up and replaced this unit with a Gen 10 i5.

Dissapointed, but after all the trouble trying to get the nuc to play 4k discs, I've had enough.

K
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ok, I am confused. Bryce made that big announcement of this capability appearing starting with the 8141 release. What am I missing?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hey @n_scott_pearson I covered this in my previous response.

"or OEM DCH to generic DCH upgrades, the latter being what we recently unlocked for users."

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ah, it has to be DCH to DCH; that's what I was missing. It cannot bring forward customizations from a non-DCH driver package. That's a problem when the vendor won't provide an updated (DCH) driver version. Wait - the vendor is Intel (ta da! ) and anything is possible (right?). And with that I now understand your other comment.

So, @Chris_V_Intel, is an updated driver going to be produced?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Even though the latest uncustomised drive does contain the Iris 640 driver in the package, I saw it being installed on the nuc, but although it accommodates the 640 graphics chip, it's not customised for this board.
0 Kudos