Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPers1
New Contributor III

NUC7i5BNH BIOS0076 upgrade blows up graphics/display setup

My setup(running already for 8 months+)

TB Port (USBto HDMI Cable)VievSonic 1920 display MAIN DISPLAY

HDMI TCL 4K TV

BIOS 72 everything was working normal in particular I had the boot options on both screens i.e, F2 F7 and F10 option during startup.

Installing 76 removed my TB firmware but I have since reinstalled it.

The PC now BOOT's up on HDMI first and I get the Fxx options on the TV but not on my main display. The main display stays Dark until it's Time to sign in to windows (win 10 insider 18855).

I would like to know if this behavior is by design or if there is any option to get it showing on both displays at the same time on BOOT.

Changing BIOS display setting from Automatic to individually select primary display port does not alter anything

Everything work as normal after signing in to windows.

I tried to revert back to BIOS 72 using F7 (I always use F7) but got the message incompatible Version? Never tried downgrading BIOS before so maybe this is normal.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
DPers1
New Contributor III

I did some additional tests.

Disconnected HDMI and booted with only TB port display attached.

Completely blank screen until windows sign in screen shows up.

Tried the same thing and start hitting F2 during boot and the screen stays completely black never gets to windows login.

Presumably I'm on the BIOS setup screen but it only shows up on the HDMI attached device.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Downloaded 0076.bio again and re-flashed to make sure there was no file issue.

Uninstalled and reinstalled TBT_WIN10_64_17.4.77.400

Installed TBT-FW-Update-33

Everything installed without problem

But nothing changed.

Alberto_R_Intel

DPers1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. By any chance do you have the option to test the NUC with a different display cable (USB to HDMI)? Please provide the display cable (USB to HDMI) details, is it Thunderbolt compliant or USB - C? Which is the HDMI version of it? Do you have the option to share the link of where you purchased the display cable so we can verify those details? Please provide the SSU report so we can verify the rest of the components working with the NUC: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DPers1
New Contributor III

Alberto,

The Cable I'm using is a Samsung USBC to HDMI cable and it's been in use for at least six months without any issue, The 76 Bios changed things not the hardware.

The attache SSU was run with this cable installed.

I tested with another cable that I previously used to attach the TV (worked perfectly on TV but did not support HDR10) same problem with this cable: From Amazon-

Cable Matters USB C to HDTV Cable Supporting 4K 60Hz in Black 9.8 Feet - Thunderbolt 3 Port Compatible for MacBook Pro, Dell XPS 13/15, HP Spectre x360, Surface Book 2 and More

A bit of Good news is that the 76 bios graphics bits seems to have improved overall picture stability while streaming to TV both with Chrome and Firefox.

BTW I tried a few different Graphics drivers but I think this is an issue before the graphics driver comes into play.

Since downgrade to 72 did not work, is there another version I can downgrade to? On the other hand I'm happy to live with this if the issue will be fixed in the next BIOS upgrade.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Did one more test.

Put Main display on HDMI and TV on TB port and the issue moves with the port in use.

No Startup option on TB attached display only on HDMI.

Also Uninstalled and reinstalled TBT_WIN10_64_17.4.77.400

Installed TBT-FW-Update-33

Using this setup...No Difference

Reconnected back to old setup.

Alberto_R_Intel

DPers1, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. Just to let you know, you should be able to do a BIOS downgrade to version 0072, please try the BIOS recovery method of removing the jumper, please follow the instructions in the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005532/mini-pcs.html Here is version 0072: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28475/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95067 Now, if for some reason you have encryption on the SSD/HDD, then we recommend to disconnect it to protect the integrity of the unit before doing the BIOS update. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DPers1
New Contributor III

Alberto,

Thank you for that info. I rather not fiddle around with downgrading since everything is working fine. Do you think that downgrading and reflashing 0076 will restore normal operation if so I might give it a Go.

If a re-flash of 0076 after downgrade will bring me back tho where I am now the I rather wait for the next BIOS upgrade.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Just discovered that Opening Thunderbolt software shows no attached Thunderbolt devices, I guess that's theoretically correct since both the TV and the ViewSonic are both HDMI

But should they not show up anyway when attached to the TB port?

DPers1
New Contributor III

I did one more test(to much time on my hands)

Uninstalled TBT_WIN10_64_17.4.77.400 and then tested to run TBT-FW-Update-33 and then I get the message No TBT installed. Happy with that.

Now I run Intel driver support assistand(no TB software installed) and guess what "All your drivers are up to date" !!!!!

I'm obviously missing the TBT drivers.

Have reinstalled the two drivers but must say I'm a bit confused here,

Alberto_R_Intel

DPers1, You are very welcome, thank you for providing those details. In reference to your inquiry, we cannot guarantee that by downgrading the BIOS to version 0072 and then upgrading it to 0076 will fix this problem. We just wanted to confirm if you were able to do that since there are no restrictions to roll back to 0072 and if the problem gets fixed that way. As you mentioned, since you are using a USB - HDMI cable that device will not be recognized as a Thunderbolt device, that is why Intel® DSA will not see it missing since, in theory, there is no Thunderbolt device connected. Now, there is a way to install the Thunderbolt update, please follow the instructions in the next link, keep in mind that the Operating System must be Windows* 10 version 1709 (OS Build 16299.334) or later, since the Windows* version currently installed on your platform is Windows* 10 insider 18855 we cannot guarantee the expected results: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/Thunderbolt-FW-Update-Guide.pdf Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
ssrfr
Novice

Can also confirm there is something wrong with bios 0076.

Running a NUC7i5BNK and just updated to 0076 today. After a restart the screen is no longer recognized. I have a Dell 27" 4k monitor that has been working fine for 12+ months and several bios updates. Was at 0072 prior to this and it worked fine (did that update a few weeks ago).

The monitor is being driven via the NUC's usb-C/thunderbolt port and connected with a USB-C to DVI cable (cable matters 4k rated cable). Keep in mind Intel reps, this cable has worked fine previous to 0076 update and fully passed 4k signal from the NUC to the monitor. Prior to the update as the poster above stated, you would see the Intel post screen and have the ability to get into the bios/etc.

On my setup with nothing displays. Its as if 0076 bios has killed off the USB-C/thunderbolt video connection. The computer has attempted to start but nothing displays. I have to manually press the power off button, connect an HDMI cable from the NUC to my dell monitor input and disconnect the USB-C cable from the NUC before restarting. System works then, however I am not getting a sufficient 4k HDR signal thru the HDMI (hence the reason I was using the usb-c to displayport cable before).

I have tried all methods mentioned above of 'restoring the BIOS' with no luck. When doing what it suggest above, I can get to the screen with the flash drive installed and press F4, but then the screen goes black and computer relights. No dice.

Also tried from the intel post screen and pressing F7, but get the same 'incompatible bios version/ aborted' message which won't let me downgrade.

Intel has really messed this one up and needs a resolution ASAP please!

DPers1
New Contributor III

Alberto,

The Thunderbolt upgrade that you link to I have done umpteen times. Also it shows version 33 installed.

I now see more posts appearing so presumably you will have to produce a fix for this issue.

Alberto_R_Intel

DPers1, thank you for providing those results. Just to let you know, although we do not recommend it, you should be able to downgrade the BIOS to version 0072 since there is nothing the release notes or readme file stating otherwise. If for some reason the BIOS downgrade process does not work there may be something wrong with the NUC itself and you may need to contact Intel Customer Support directly for your region (phone or chat): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html As well, as mentioned before, we cannot guarantee the functionality with Windows Insider since this is Microsoft's BETA version. For us to research this further, we will need to confirm if the issue also happens with a validated operating system. sand srfr: Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. Since you are reporting the same issue, can you please provide the Operating system (Build) that you are using? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DPers1
New Contributor III

I have used the upgrade instructions You link to from the day that the update was released, I have probably installed this (successfully) about 10 times. But I found a new twist to the saga.

Every time I've done the installation I've Rebooted the computer to test. And the result is as you know

But the last time I installed the 33 upgrade I did not reboot but instead went directly to installed TB devices and be and behold it showed one device installed!

Reboot computer and the TB device is gone again.

DPers1
New Contributor III

By the way I restored the previous insider build that I had Fully working on BIOS 0072 and as expected the problem is still there with the new BIOS, it has Nothing to do with the operating System and all to do with the 0076 BIOS upgrade.

ssrfr
Novice

I can confirm the same thing that 'DPers1' has stated:

I can get the thunderbolt to work by reinstalling the tunderbolt software and then upgrading the firmware to 33. It will work initially (video over the thunderbolt port), but upon a restart it will no longer work. Once rebooted on HDMI the thunderbolt is not recognized. Rerunning the thunderbolt software and firmware (sometimes just the firmware) will get it functioning again. Only until the computer reboots.

Also - you cannot downgrade to 0072. I have tried every option shown for this and despite the 0076 release notes stating you can downgrade, you cannot.

Intel needs to fix this

Alberto_R_Intel

DPers1, ssrfr, Thank you both very much for providing those updates. I tried to do the BIOS downgrade from 0076 to 0072 and I was not able to do that. Since I was able to replicate the BIOS issue we will do further research on this matter and also about the problem of thunderbolt devices disappearing after the BIOS update to the latest version. As soon as I get any details I will post all the information in this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DPers1
New Contributor III

Alberto,

Are you confirming that there is an issue with thunderbolt and BIOS 0076

Patricia_S_Intel
Employee

Hello all, Yes, we were able to replicate the same issue reported by you both; we could not downgrade to BIOS version 0072 after updating to BIOS version 0076. We are doing further research on the downgrade BIOS issue and the Thunderbolt issue after upgrading to BIOS version 0076. We will update this thread with the outcome as soon as we can. Regards, Pat S. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
JDunc1
Beginner

I too have the same issue. When I flashed the 0076 BIOS update the USB-C/Thunderbold port stopped working.

Nothing on the screen until the mainboard hands the boot process over to software OS. In my case this is Linux. I do not see the grub boot screen. The graphics begin when Ubuntu begins to boot.

I have a USB/Thunderbolt to Display port cable. Everything worked with BIOS 0072.

Using an HDMI cable to HDMI on the monitor the NUC boots as it should giving the F2 F7 and F10 options.