Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TM2
New Contributor I

NUC7i5BNH Bios update failed, now cannot boot

Jump to solution

Hey all,

Title says it really-- I just tried updating my NUC via the F7 update method with the BN00068.bio, the same method I would normally do. However this time it failed during the update with an error, and my device is now unbootable. I figured it may have been a corruption somehow, so I tried a bios recovery with 2 different USB's formatted to fat32.

The power button method produced no result, neither a beep or visual on my display. I then tried the jumper method, and still nothing. There are no menu's displayed at all, I can't get anything to work, and i'm now at wits end.

What can I do without any display? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TM2
New Contributor I

So an update on this situation-- After trying all the suggested possible methods to fix it, and after having called Intel Tech Support, I was provided with an RMA'd unit rather quickly.

The BIOS are now updated to the latest and I have a new working NUC.

Thanks for the support here and to Intel for the easy and prompt RMA.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Okel,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you experienced a problem when updating the BIOS version, I can also see that you were not able to fix it with the recovery methods.

In this case, I will need more information to continue, specifically the model and part number of the RAM, as well as the model and part number of the SSD installed, these are important so that we can find the best solution for you.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
TM2
New Contributor I

Hey guys. This is going to be difficult I can see as I'm in New Zealand and we have completely different time zones, so bare with my late replies.

So I wasn't sure what the model and part number of the RAM was so I captured a picture for you, it's attached. The model and part number of the SSD are:

P/N: MZ7LN250HAJQ

Model Number: MZ-75E250

Leon, I tried those steps described - --trying minimal hardware-- as directed in other support threads with no success. There are no beeps; no change of LED except from off to on; and I have no display whatsoever to see boot menu's.

If you could guide me through creating a boot drive in Rufus with those specific files to try that'd be great. I've used Rufus to create a Windows Boot Disc before, but that was from an image file, this is an .exe and bios file. The guides on that link are no help.

Again I'm not sure how I can do anything without a display? I tried the security jumper method for 10 minutes to see if it would go through without selecting options, but that was unsuccessful as well.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Follow the following steps to create bootable USB with iflash utility:

1. Insert USB stick into USB slot.

2. Run Rufus.

3. In the Boot selection field select FreeDOS. in File system field select FAT32

4. Press START (confirm with OK) and wait till the process ends.

5. Copy to this USB files extracted from BNKBL357.86A.0069.BI.zip (BN0069.bio and IFLASH2.EXE). Your USB shall look like the attached image.

Now with minimum hardware configuration and with bootable USB inserted, power ON your NUC. Repeatedly press F10 button and if you don't see video, after 1 minute, press enter. If you see now prompt At the prompt, type

IFLASH2 /PF BN0069.BIO, and press Enter.

If you don't see any video, you may try to add this command to the autoexec.bat on this USB.

It is advisable to check if the USB bootable on other PC (legacy boot must be enabled).

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Okel ,

Please give one try more. This time with minimal hardware configuration. Remove, SSD, HDD and one SODIMM. Leave only one SODIMM installed. Now in this hardware configuration try:

1. Recovery form Power Button Menu. Hold the Power Button depressed about 3 seconds. Release Power Button when the Power LED changes color from primary color to amber color. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu.

or

2. Bios recovery with the Security Jumper removed.

The other possibility is to prepare bootable USB (use Rufus). And save on this USB contents of BNKBL357.86A.0069.BI.zip . Use iflash to update your bios: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006640/mini-pcs.html iFlash BIOS Update Instructions for Intel® NUC . By the way, the latest bios for your NUC is ver 0069 .

Leon

TM2
New Contributor I

So an update on this situation-- After trying all the suggested possible methods to fix it, and after having called Intel Tech Support, I was provided with an RMA'd unit rather quickly.

The BIOS are now updated to the latest and I have a new working NUC.

Thanks for the support here and to Intel for the easy and prompt RMA.

View solution in original post