Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

NUC7i5BNH - Can't get the boot menu, after installing ubuntu

My NUC had issues the moment I unboxed it. No display. Read a little and realized that the stock firmware doesn't go too well with the HDMI devices. I had to try various combinations of cable/ monitors and finally I was able to install Ubuntu 17.

Now the thing is, in order to update the BIOS/ HDMI firmware, I need to install Windows 10. I do have the bootable disc ready but I just can't get into either the boot menu or into the BIOS. I have probably tried restarting the system a 100 times, pressing F2, F4, F8, F10 and what not. I just can't get in. Even the 3 second power button press thing yields nothing

I am stuck here and need help here. Either get me to the BIOS or just help me install the Windows. Getting a shiny device and not being able it is the worst thing that can happen to us geeks. Just get me out of this, please!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mystic_dreamer,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues to update the BIOS/HDMI firmware.

In this case, to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26787/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95067 update the BIOS, you can do it with the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005532.html BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper method.

In regards to the HDMI firmware, it is only required to fix the issue of no picture on Samsung 6000 series TVs and high bit rate surround sound formats (DTS-HD MA*, Dolby TrueHD*) not playing with HDMI 2.0 receivers via bit streaming, if you are not facing these issues, the HDMI firmware update is not required.

In addition, this Intel® NUC is validated to work only with Windows® 10, you can check the following article for further information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-nuc-boards/000005628.html Supported Operating Systems for Intel® NUC Products.

I hope this information helps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for the help here.

After a lot of tries, I was able to update the firmware and installed the Windows 10 64 bit. However, I still can't utilize the HDMI port. In order to connect to the LG TV (32LD650H) that I have, I have to use a HDMI-VGA converter. Needless to say that the quality sucks. I was thinking that the firmware update would be required to enable the HDMI. That thing would anyway work with HDMI 2.0 enabled devices and until I do that, I won't even be able to upgrade the HDMI firmware.

Have tried multiple HDMI cables. The TV as well work with the HDMI cable, when I connect my other laptop to it.

So what is it that I'll have to do to get the NUC working with my LG TV?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mystic_dreamer,

You are welcome.

Can you please install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?pr... this driver in case it is not installed, after doing this please also make sure the resolution on the Intel® NUC is 1360x768 @60Hz (while using straight HDMI video connection - without any adapter/converter).

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I guess I have the driver already. Pulled it yesterday from the support software list. Also should it not auto configure? I can try the resolution recommended by you but I suspect that it won't work. I see absolutely nothing, not even a flicker when I directly connect the HDMI.

Give me some time. I'll report back.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mystic_dreamer,

When using straight HDMI video connection, are you able to get to the BIOS? Do you see the BIOS setup?

If not, have you tried another monitor/TV?

Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I see absolutely nothing, when I connect the straight cable. Nothing. Like the TV doesn't even see any incoming signal. The same TV, when connected with the same cable to my laptop, it works flawlessly. I suspect some HDMI handshaking issue here.

Also I confirm that the resolution change thing just didn't work. I see nothing on the HDMI direct connection. I ensured the resolution while on the VGA connection and then switched to HDMI. Still no dice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mystic_dreamer,

Thank you for the information.

Do you get the same behavior in any of both HDMI inputs on your TV?

As you mentioned, this could be also a compatibility issue between the Intel® NUC and the TV, I would recommend testing the Intel® NUC with a different monitor/TV to see if the issue persists.

The HDMI output is working since you get video by using the HDMI to VGA adapter.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

See I can't change my TV just to get this rolling. The TV, as I mentioned, works well with my laptop. And unfortunately, I don't have another monitor to try it with.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mystic_dreamer,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, by testing with a different TV/monitor, I don't mean getting a new TV but probably you can check in a computer repair shop to have this tested so you can have a second opinion.

Best Regards,

JC
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mystic_dreamer,

I was reviewing this thread and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thanks for asking but it looks like I'll have to send it back. Have already raised an RMA request with newegg. Too concerned about getting the same stuff as replacement and getting a similar issues. Kind of stuck here since newegg isn't offering a refund and they'll simply be sending a replacement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mystic_dreamer,

Thank you for letting me know. Please don't hesitate in reaching us back if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos