cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
APath6
Beginner

NUC7i5BNH - Dual 1080p screen flickering issue

Hi everyone,

So i recently purchased an Intel NUC 7th Generation i5 (NUC7i5BNH) with 8GB Crucial Memory (1x 8Gb) & Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, along with Dual LG 27MP68HM 1080p monitors.

I am running the latest BIOS v.0050 & graphics drivers.

I am using the HDMI Cable that came with the monitor and i am using a usb-c to HDMI dongle. If I run a single monitor whether its direct HDMI or via USB-C dongle I don't have any issues or any flickers on the monitor. but if I am running both monitors (in extended mode) both my monitors keep flickering every few seconds... usually the flicker lasts less than a second so i cannot make out what it is, but sometimes i've noticed its vertical line along the bottom half of one monitor & horizontal lines along the middle & bottom end of the second monitor.

I've switched cables, i've swapped monitors around & didn't notice any issues running single monitor.. usually when i am watching Youtube or any video on one montior & have a website open on the other thats when i see screen flicker. but sometimes its even when there is nothing on either of the screens.

I will try to create a video and upload on Youtube to show what i mean but that's all i can explain as of now, i Know there is an similar thread here for 4k display but mine is 1080p.

Update: I have the similar flicker as seen in the video, excluding the part where screen turns off & on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZGoSVcJgpE NUC NUC6i5SYH and LG 31MU97 flickering on DP - YouTube

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

AasimP: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® NUC communities. We are sorry to hear the NUC is not working as expected.

In order to try to fix this problem, we can try to install the latest version of the graphics driver for the NUC, 4729:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26947/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26947/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NU...

Which Windows version is installed on the NUC?

Any further questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

APath6
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for responding, i thought I would not get a reply. I think i am running on the latest graphics version. Thats what i had downloaded this morning & its what i have below.

Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640

Report Date: Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Report Time [hh:mm:ss]: 10:21:37 PM

Driver Version: 22.20.16.4729

Operating System: Windows* 10 Pro (10.0.15063)

Physical Memory: 7635 MB

Vendor ID: 8086

Device ID: 5926

Device Revision: 06

Graphics Output Protocol (GOP) Version: 9.0.1066

Current Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7260U CPU @ 2.20GHz

Processor Speed: 2208 MHz

Processor Graphics in Use: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Plus Graphics 640

Shader Version: 5.1

OpenGL* Version: 4.5

OpenCL* Version: 2.1

Vulkan* Version: 1.0.38

* Microsoft DirectX* *

Runtime Version: 12.0

Hardware-Supported Version: 12.0

Currently i am using only 1 of the 2 displays as i don't get any flickering then....Any other ideas?

APath6
Beginner

I have managed to capture some part of the screen flickering issue on the monitors. Please have a look & let me know how to sort this one out.

The monitor on the left is directly connected to HDMI & the monitor on the right is connected via USB C to HDMI dongle then HDMI cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9iqK5kzK8A LG 27mp68hm Screen Flickering on Intel NUC7i5BNH - YouTube

idata
Community Manager

Hi AasimP: You are welcome. Thank you very much for sharing the video in our communities. We will do further research on this matter to try to find a possible solution. In order for us to be able to do that please provide the information requested on the link below:

/thread/77761 https://communities.intel.com/thread/77761

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

APath6
Beginner

Ok I've attached all relevant information as requested in the link provided above

1. Hardware IDs

2. SSU Logs

3. DXDiag

4. DisplayDiag

idata
Community Manager

AasimP: Thank you very much for providing those files, we really appreciate that. I can see in those reports that the refresh rate on both monitors is 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (75Hz). Just for testing purposes could you please downgrade the refresh rate to 60 or 59Hz and let us know the results?

Regards,

Alberto R

APath6
Beginner

Hi,

I've set the monitor to 60Hz, that 75Hz was set as default when i attached the monitor... so at 60Hz i will monitor for today if there is any flickering.

APath6
Beginner

Sorry to report but even at 60 Hz i still see the flicker on both my monitors. Although i can say that its not happening as much as it was on 75Hz but there is still an occasional flicker over the past 45 mins since my post above, after changing it to 60Hz, I have seen the flicker at max 4 / 5 times. where as at 75Hz it was 1 every 30 seconds or so.

I have ordered an another USB Type C to Display port dongle & will test that one out as well see if it functions.

APath6
Beginner

Update:

One thing I've noticed is that If there is nothing happening on the other screen I do not get much flickering (only some), but if i have something running on the other monitor (usually Youtube, but i tried with websites too) it flickers more often. Now i am not sure what would be the cause of this...

Monitor 1: connected via USB Type C to DP Dongle

Monitor 2: connected via HDMI

If i am using Monitor 1 only with nothing running on Monitor 2, I get very few flickering on Monitor 1. But if i launch for example Youtube on Monitor 2 & play a video while surfing / browsing / typing on Monitor 1, I get flickering every 20-30 seconds appox.
idata
Community Manager

AasimP: Thank you very much for letting us know that information. We will start a research on this subject to try to find a fix for this issue. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi AasimP,

I am really sorry to hear that you are dealing with this issue, this is currently under investigation and working on a fix.

Please refer to the following community post:NUC7ixBN Screen Flashing/Flickering when using 4K resolutions (title says 4K but it is affecting multiple resolutions).

I will locking up this thread to keep all relevant information consolidated on the community mentioned before.

Thanks,

Ronny G