Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MNeat
Beginner

NUC7i5BNH Intermittent HDMI Audio Drop Issue

I recently purchased the NUC7i5BNH for use as my main HTPC.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

8GB RAM

128GB M.2 SSD

A/V connected to Vizio E50-C1 via HDMI 1.4a

Similar (but not identical) to some other issues posted on this forum, I am experiencing intermittent audio drop-outs during video playback. The drop-out typically last no longer than 2 seconds, and occurs infrequently (no more than once per hour).

There is not affect to video playback, only audio.

I have experienced this while playing online video via Netflix (web browser and W10 app), YouTube, and HBO NOW.

I have experienced this while playing offline video via VLC and W10 Movies & TV app.

I have not experienced this while playing the same videos on an older laptop connected to the same Vizio E50-C1 via the same HDMI 1.4a cable.

I have temporarily worked around the problem by purchasing a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter, and connected the NUC7i5BNH to the same Vizio E50-C1 via the same HDMI 1.4a cable. This has remedied the audio drop-out issue by bypassing the NUC7i5BNH's HDMI port completely. I hope Intel issues a fix for the NUC7i5BNH's HDMI audio.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

Thank you contacting us regarding the audio issue that you have been experiencing with your NUC7i5BNH, it will be more than a pleasure to assist you with this.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer. Please attach to this thread the .txt file the Intel System Support Utility will generate https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach a file, you must click •Use Advanced Editor" on the upper right hand corner of the response box, then the "attach" option will appear on the bottom right hand corner of the response box.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

I was taking a look to your thread, and I wanted to confirm if you need further assistance?

Please do not hesitate on replying back so we can provide you with assistance regarding your issue.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MNeat
Beginner

Thank you. I do need further assistance.

I have not yet had time to use the Intel System Support Utility. I will respond with the requested .txt file once I have had a chance to do so.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

I was taking a look to your thread, and I wanted to confirm if you were able to use our SSU tool?

Please let us know if you still need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MNeat
Beginner

Requested .txt file attached.

MNeat
Beginner

Please advise.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

Thank you for your response.

In this case, I was taking a look to the SSU that you attached to this thread and I noticed that the drivers installed on your unit (graphic drivers) that control video and audio are not up to date since your current driver version is : 23.20.16.4901, which work along with the audio driver version: 10.24.00.3

The latest driver is version: 15.65.5.4982 and includes the new audio driver version: (10.24.00.6)

You can download the latest package that includes both updates here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?pr... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27650/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-65-?pr...

Please go ahead and give them a try and let us know the outcome.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MNeat
Beginner

Thank you, Diego. I'll update the driver package once I return home and post the results.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

I was taking a look to your case and I wanted to know if you need further assistance?

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back if you have any other question or concern.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MNeat
Beginner

Thank you, Diego. I'll post back once I've had a chance to update the driver package. Free time at home is something I'm lacking this time of year.

MNeat
Beginner

I finally had some time at home to install the updated driver. Apparently the driver you linked to is not compatible (see attached image).

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

Thank you for your response.

Please go ahead and try to update the drivers through a manual installation.

You will find all the steps here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1KzoQDjMMY

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there.

Please let us know the outcome, I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

JKell20
Novice

I am having the same issue with the same edition of the NUC (as are many people on this forum), I've used all the latest drivers, and the latest firmware and BIOS). This is the internal DP to HDMI chipset flaw that has existed for over a year now. A solution I have researched is to side step the entire internal HDMI chipset in the NUC and use an external active mDP -> HDMI 2.0a/b dongle. (Club3D sells one). They are around $30, and could fix this until Intel actually fixes the broken firmware on the internal HDMI chipset.

As I said, this has been documented dozens of times in this forum for the last year or more and no resolution in any thread has been found other than either dropping down to 1080p, or 4K @ 30hz instead of 60, or going to a seperate dongle. A reboot of the NUC can resolve this temporarily as well, but it always goes back to the drops after a while.

MNeat
Beginner

I was able to manually install the updated drivers. Unfortunately, this has not resolved the intermittent audio dropping issues.

Is Intel officially working on a solution for this bug?

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato,

Thank you for your patience.

After reviewing your case, and based on the fact that driver-wise your computer is currently up to date, we think that you might be facing a hardware issue, due to the fact that both workarounds (posted by you and clegg1978) involve adding separate pieces of hardware such as dongles and adapters.

In this case, can you please connect your Intel ® NUC7i5BNH directly to your Vizio E50-C1 without any A/V on the middle?

Is the issue present without any A/V?

Have you checked if there is any firmware update on your devices? (A/V, Vizio E50-C1)

Please let us know the outcome; I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

MNeat
Beginner

My NUC7i5BNH is currently directly connected to my Vizio E50-C1 via HDMI (no dongles or adapters). The intermittent audio dropping issue is still present.

I troubleshooted by connected a Dell laptop and Toshiba laptop to the same HDMI port on my Vizio E50-C1 using the same HDMI cable and watching the same video I was watching on my NUC7i5BNH. The intermittent audio dropping issue was not present.

100% confirmed, there is something wrong with the NUC7i5BNH's HDMI audio. Please advise.

JKell20
Novice

I am getting the support info collected today and will send it over.

I have tried a number of different things to fix this now (4K @ 30hz, 1080p, new cables, etc...) and it still has consistent drop outs of audio every few minutes if the machine has not been rebooted in the last couple hours. The work around for using a display adapter on the mDP port didn't work because the mDP is encapsulated in USB-C on the NUC7. So I wasn't able to do that. no Dongles being used.

My setup is NUC7i3BNH -> HDMI 2.0b spec cable (3ft) -> Yamaha RX-A770 AVR -> HDMI 2.0b Spec cable (10ft) -> Sony 930e (all devices are up to date and current on firmware)

the NUC will send Dolby Atmos level audio to the AVR without issue for a few hours then it will develop the audio drops, and in some cases lately it wont even detect HDMI audio at all. The resolution is to reboot the NUC. My XB1X console has none of these issues over the same spec (and model) of HDMI cable to the same setup going from XB1X ->AVR->TV.

HDMI CEC is disabled on the NUC, but the AVR and the TV leverage CEC/ARC. (CEC being enabled or disable on the NUC didnt affect anything)

I have not removed the AVR from the setup because that is a non workable solution or situation and I dont have a cable that can reach the TV directly from the NUC. Most content I play is Dolby TrueHD/Atmos and the AVR needs to be in-line for that functionality. The fact other devices play fine through the AVR without this issue tells me this is a NUC specific problem.

JKell20
Novice

Attached is my NUC7i3BNH support text file.

JKell20
Novice

I would also like to add the issue has been getting worse and worse on my NUC... so I am wondering if it is a hardware failure occurring.

idata
Community Manager

Hello MrNeato and clegg1978

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your patience.

I am currently sending your cases to higher management so they can try to replicate the issue.

This will cause a brief delay between our answers; we will reach you back as soon as we have an answer.

Best Regards,

Diego S.