Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SBarn8
Beginner

NUC7i5BNH - Internal Microphone - Tinfoil Hat - OK to Disconnect?

Just finished the build out of my new NUC7i5BNH. Everything is up and running as intended.

It looks like there are 2 internal microphones on the front of the unit that feed into a single MB header.

I do not want/need this feature.

If I disconnect the single header connector on the MB will that disable both the microphones?

Will this adversely affect anything?

After I DC this header, do I need to take any further steps to ensure I am not being listened to by my computer?

TIA.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team, NT55693.

Allow me to share with you that this NUC is not having any type of microphone embedded, it only posses a jack connector where you can plug an external microphone. Please find this information in the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSp... Technical Product Specifications of this unit.

I hope this answers all your questions

Antony S.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Antony,

I think you are mistaken. The NUC7i5BNH has embedded Digital Microphone Array (DMICS). Please see in the Product Specification:

- Para 1.10

- Para. 2.2.4 (Connector B)

- Para 5.1 (Figure 22)

This microphone may be disabled also in Bios settings: Devices -> Digital Microphone (remove checkbox)

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Leon is correct. My suggestion is that you do both; unplug the array and disable it in BIOS (so device does not appear as a resource to Windows at all).

Hope this helps,

...S

SBarn8
Beginner

Thank you for the replies.

I've disabled the DMICS in the BIOS and physically removed the connector.

Everything seems to be OK.

The TD is a nice read as well.