Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i5BNH - Internal Microphone - Tinfoil Hat - OK to Disconnect?

Just finished the build out of my new NUC7i5BNH. Everything is up and running as intended.

It looks like there are 2 internal microphones on the front of the unit that feed into a single MB header.

I do not want/need this feature.

If I disconnect the single header connector on the MB will that disable both the microphones?

Will this adversely affect anything?

After I DC this header, do I need to take any further steps to ensure I am not being listened to by my computer?

TIA.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team, NT55693.

Allow me to share with you that this NUC is not having any type of microphone embedded, it only posses a jack connector where you can plug an external microphone. Please find this information in the https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/boardsandkits/NUC7i5BN_NUC7i7BN_TechProdSp... Technical Product Specifications of this unit.

I hope this answers all your questions

Antony S.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello Antony,

I think you are mistaken. The NUC7i5BNH has embedded Digital Microphone Array (DMICS). Please see in the Product Specification:

- Para 1.10

- Para. 2.2.4 (Connector B)

- Para 5.1 (Figure 22)

This microphone may be disabled also in Bios settings: Devices -> Digital Microphone (remove checkbox)

Leon

Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Leon is correct. My suggestion is that you do both; unplug the array and disable it in BIOS (so device does not appear as a resource to Windows at all).

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the replies.

I've disabled the DMICS in the BIOS and physically removed the connector.

Everything seems to be OK.

The TD is a nice read as well.

0 Kudos