Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
APesc1
Novice

NUC7i5BNH Safe use of USB C port with external HD

With NUC7i5BNH can I safely and in continuous mode, connect an external HD "TOSHIBA MQ01ABC150 1500, 3GB" to the USB 3.1 type C port?

Any damage to this HD will be very critic for me, because it contain all my backups.

To be clear, this is not an external RAID

Many thanks, best regards

Augusto

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There should be no issues. Regardless, if this is a backup drive, I wouldn't recommend leaving it plugged in and operating all the time.

I am unsure what you mean by "damage". Corruption? Physical?

According to my search, this is an internal 2.5" HDD. I presume that you have or are about to purchase an external drive bay to hold this HDD? If you are just purchasing, you need to decide whether to purchase a bay that provides a USB 3.1 (USB-C) connection or a bay that provides a USB 3.0 connection. Performance and operation will be identical regardless of which you choose. I wonder if you want to purchase one that supports insertion into one of the USB 3.0 ports so that you can save the USB-C port for "fancier" things...

...S

APesc1
Novice

Hi Scott, thanks for reply.

Really is an external HDD USB 3.0 not self sustained, purchased time ago and used for the same reason with a different PC, plugged in a USB 3.0 port.

Yes, my concern is about the high current on USB C and consequent "physical" damages to this HDD;

or any other device plugged in, as: USB 3.0 hub, an external USB 3.0 HDD 3 TB self sustained, etc.

I don't use any "fancier things...", I have only one screen connected via HDMI, but, if possible, I won't lose a USB 3.0 port.

Best regards

Augusto

APesc1
Novice

Furthermore,

exactly in order to use the USB C as USB standard, I purchased an USB C 3.1 to USB a 3.0 adapter....

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The port does not "hard-push" the full 3A at the connected device(s); the device(s) draw what power they require. There is a current limiter built into the design that specifically prevents this kind of thing from happening. There should be no chance of the device(s) being damaged this way.

...S

APesc1
Novice

Tks,

next days I'll test the C port.

Augusto