Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPers1
New Contributor III

NUC7i5BNH Thunderbolt™ 3 Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Products Version: 1.41.645.0 (Latest) Date: 4/8/2019

Jump to solution

The saga continues. Intel drivers for HDMI an TB is a Total mess or maybe it's just BIOS 0076 messing it all up.

So now we have a new TB driver out but Intel Driver & support assistand says all my drivers are up to date???

Second, I check that my TB drive is there and it actually shows my TV connected.

Third from installation instructions:

You should see an error on a Base System Driver in the Other Devices category.

- I do not have an Other Devices category.

Maybe you have to uninstall to see those messages but since my last experience I don't dare to go without confirmation.

-My Thunderbolt(TM) Controller -159D is installed under System Devices.

I will not try to install this thing (after my two day saga of trying to reinstall everything having lost TB completely a few days after 0076 BIOSupdate) until I'm 100% sure how to do it and that it works.

Also does this update affect TBT-FW-Update-33 in any way shape or form?

So my question is, has anyone successfully installed this thing and if so how did you do it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SChau10
New Contributor II

DPers1,

My NUC7i5BNH is on BIOS 0076 and TBT FW is 33.

Since your NUC to TV connection is utilizing the TB3 port as a USB-C port and not actually Thunderbolt, both the Intel DCH TB3 driver (1.41.645.0) driver and the companion "Thunderbolt Control Center" app are not needed. I recommend you un-install both as they are only contributing to unnecessary clutter in your system and adding to confusion.

Without an actual TB3 device attached, the "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - xxxx" device will appear offline (greyed/faded) in device manager. This is by Intel design. The "Thunderbolt Control Center" app (having auto installed after manually installing TB3 1.41.645.0 driver) will show no TB3 device connected since you don't have one in your system configuration. Thus, the TB3 controller disappearance from device manager and TB Control Center not showing device connected to port are perfectly correct behavior for your system. To get the TB3 Control Center to display a TB3 device, you will need to plug an actual TB3 device into the TB3 port, such as TB3 dock, external NVMe SSD enclosure (my favorite), external graphics enclosure, etc.

The fact that the "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - xxxx" device does not even appear in device manager when no true TB3 device is attached can be quite confusing (I certainly was!) but is apparently expected behavior. All my NUCs featuring TB3 ports (3 models) have this same behavior.

You can certainly leave the DCH TB3 driver & TB Control Center app in the installed state, but they are really of no use in your system, and won't be utilized until you attach a TB3 device to the TB3 port. You can relax as there is really nothing wrong with your NUC from what I can tell.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

15 Replies
SChau10
New Contributor II

Today I successfully migrated several of my NUCs from legacy TB3 driver 17.4.77.400 to DCH TB3 driver 1.41.645.0.

• NUC7i5BNH
  • NUC8i7BEH
  • 2 x NUC6i7KYK

Here are the steps I followed to update the TB3 driver:

1. Download the "Thunderbolt 3 Driver for Windows 10 for Intel NUC Products" 1.41.645.0 package from Intel download website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Pr...
  2. Extract the downloaded ZIP package to a local disk folder.
  3. Go to Control Panel --> Programs --> Programs and Features --> Uninstall or change a program. Locate the Intel Thunderbolt driver entry from the program list, right-click it then select "Uninstall". Follow the prompts to complete legacy TB3 driver un-installation. Restart Windows if prompted.
  4. Attach a Thunderbolt device to the TB3 port of the NUC.
  5. Open Windows Device Manager. There should be a yellow bang "Base System Device" under "Other devices".
  6. Right-click "Base System Device" and select "Update driver".
  7. Select "Browse my computer for driver software", then select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
  8. Click "System devices" from the device list, then click "Next"
  9. Click the "Have Disk" button.
  10. Click the "Browse" button.
  11. Within the "Locate file" dialog, navigate to the extracted DCH TB3 driver folder (from step 2).
  12. A list of three Tbt****.inf files should appear. Select the "TbtHostController.inf" entry then click the "Open" button.
  13. Click "OK" button in the "Install From Disk" dialog.
  14. Click "Next" button in "Update Drivers - Base System Device" dialog.
  15. Look for "Windows has successfully updated your drivers" message, then click "Close" button.

Some time after this DCH TB3 driver is installed and running, Windows 10 should automatically download and install a UWP app called "Thunderbolt Control Center" from the internet. You should see a popup toast appear near the bottom right corner of your desktop, once the app completes automatic installation. With a DCH TB3 driver installed, the "Thunderbolt Control Center" is used for TB3 device management functions, such as approving a device, listing attached devices, etc. Clicking the Windows Start button should show "Thunderbolt Control Center" app near the top of the popup, under "Recently added". There is no Thunderbolt tray icon to launch the legacy Thunderbolt GUI as it got removed as part of the legacy TB3 driver. This is all by design.

DPers1
New Contributor III

SChau,

Thank you for that info, did you reinstall TBT-FW-Update-33 or is that no longer required?

SChau10
New Contributor II

@DPers1, I did not mess with TBT firmware.

Here's a shorter procedure that appears to work just as well:

1. Download the "Thunderbolt 3 Driver for Windows 10 for Intel NUC Products" 1.41.645.0 package from Intel download website: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28735/Thunderbolt-3-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC-Pr...
  2. Extract the downloaded ZIP package to a local disk folder.
  3. Go to Control Panel --> Programs --> Programs and Features --> Uninstall or change a program. Locate the Thunderbolt Software entry from the program list, right-click it then select "Uninstall". Follow the prompts to complete legacy TB3 driver un-installation. Restart Windows if prompted.
  4. Attach a Thunderbolt device to the TB3 port of the NUC.
  5. Open Windows Device Manager. There should be a yellow bang "Base System Device" under "Other devices".
  6. Launch File Explorer and navigate the extracted DCH TB3 driver folder (from step 2)
  7. A list of three Tbt****.inf files should appear. Right-click the "TbtHostController.inf" file then select "Install".

DPers1
New Contributor III

I did have a thunderbolt device installed according to Device manager, and the thunderbolt software xxx.400 installed

When I uninstall the software I get no message in device manager about missing drivers,

I did install according to procedure : "A list of three Tbt****.inf files should appear. Right-click the "TbtHostController.inf" file then select "Install".

I get a message that it installs OK, the installation only takes a second?

Reboot and it works my TV works attached to the TB port via TB to HDMI cable.

Thunderbolt control center APP is on top of the applist, but the app shows no devices connected(I'm able to install the old TBT_WIN10_64_17.4.77.400 over the new one)

Device manager shows nothing TB related wit the latest app installed?

Nothing TB related in Programs and Features?

But the TV is working?

I suspect this mystery is due to bios 0076 issues and Thunderbolt

It seems to work but to be honest I do not know if I have updated my TB port to the correct level, Driver support assistant is happy but she was happy before I tried to upgrade also???

SChau10
New Contributor II

The Thunderbolt Control Center app is paired with TB3 DCH driver 1.41.645.0, so installing the TB3 legacy driver 17.4.77.400 over the DCH driver will likely wreck this app. Depending on which driver works better with your system, you should decide between keeping legacy driver 17.4.77.400 or DCH driver 1.41.645.0 with the TB Control Center app. If the former, the TB Control Center app should be un-installed as it won't work with the legacy TB3 driver.

Also, the TB Control Center, you may need to "Approve" a TB3 device, i.e. change it to "Always Connect" before it appears on the device list.

I would also disregard what DSA has to say about driver status, as it appears to be easily confused & unreliable regarding its detection of legacy vs. DCH drivers. I don't have DSA installed in any of my NUCs.

DPers1
New Contributor III

SChau,

I do not have the 17.4.77.400 installed but I have the Thunderbolt Control Center app installed and I take that as an indication that TB3 DCH driver 1.41.645.0 is installed.

BUT I cannot find any info on this driver anywhere on the computer however connecting my TV to the TB port works fine.

My concern is that if click install on TbtHostController.inf it installs in a second and I get the message "The operation completed successfully" But I cant find the thing on my computer.

SChau10
New Contributor II

The TB3 DCH driver when installed does not show up in the “legacy” programs list, but you should be able to see this driver installed against the “Thunderbolt Controller” in Windows device manager, under the System devices category.

Installation of this DCH TB3 is supposed to be quick, as unlike the legacy TB3 drivers, the DCH driver package does not come with any GUI (user control panel) components. The Thunderbolt Control Center app is the companion app designed to work with the DCH TB3 driver, so the presence of this app confirms the successful installation of the DCH driver.

If your TB device is working, there’s no need to worry about not finding that DCH TB3 driver.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Nothing showing in devicemanager. It might have something to do with BIOS 0076.........

DPers1
New Contributor III

SChau10,

Thank you for showing an interest and helping.

Our friends at Intel does not seem interested, maybe they are busy trying to fix BIOS

SChau10
New Contributor II

DPers1,

In re-reading your posts, I may have an idea what's going on.

If you have a USB-C to HDMI cable connecting the NUC7i5BNH Thunderbolt 3 port to your TV, that cable is utilizing the NUC TB3 port as a USB-C USB 3.1 port. TB3 host ports like the one on the NUC7i5BNH can function as USB-C ports. Your video cable is probably not an actual TB3 device, meaning it doesn't talk Thunderbolt 3 protocol, but rather USB 3.1 protocol.

Your video cable is also utilizing "HDMI Alt Mode" of USB-C to get the NUC to send HDMI video signals out the TB3/USB-C port to your TV. It's both the TB3 port ability to function as USB-C port and the port support for USB-C "HDMI Alt Mode" that enables the port to function essentially as an HDMI output port.

Since the NUC TB3 port does not see an actual TB3 device, the "Thunderbolt Controller" device node will not be visible in Windows device manager. Even though it's a bit odd, I believe it is expected behavior (as designed by Intel) for the TB3 controller to hotplug along with any attached TB3 device. If you do "Show hidden devices" in Windows device manager, you should see the "Thunderbolt Controller" displayed in greyed (faded) fashion, indicating that Windows does not see this device online. Once a TB3 device (such as dock, external SSD enclosure, external graphics card enclosure, etc.) is attached, the TB3 controller will also appear in Windows device manager.

Unless you intend to use a true TB3 device with your NUC7i5BNH, you won't need the Intel TB3 driver. It is not required for the connected TV to work.

Since your NUC to TV connection is working there's no fault present in the system to deal with. TB3 ports have a lot of functional flexibility and the ability to output HDMI video signals is just one example of TB3/USB-C versatility.

SChau10
New Contributor II

Oh, I should add that the "Thunderbolt Controller" device will not be visible in Windows device manager, even as offline device, if no Thunderbolt 3 device has ever been plugged into the TB3 port. This is expected behavior, again because Intel made the TB3 controller hotplug in reaction to a TB3 device hotplug.

So, no need to worry about not finding "Thunderbolt Controller" in device manager. It is perfectly normal for your system setup.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Screenshot (2).png

SChau10,

It does not show under System components but when I selected Show by connected devices under View I found it!!

So it's installed and you were right about the TB to HDMI bit. Thank you very much for all the time you have spent to help me Figure out this Thing.

Intel really should update the installation instructions with this information.

As a Final test I tried to update the driver from the devicemanager directly and navigate to the driver folder. Presumably it's installed somewhere since I get this message from windows.

Screenshot (4).png

Well, now all TB messages are gone cannot see any TB device anywhere

But the installer says installed OK and the TV is working so.........

SChau10, Just curious are your NUC's on BIOS 0076?

Well being stubborn I decided to try again one more Time.

1. I installed TBT_WIN10_64_17.4.77.400 because FW33 said no TB detected.
  2. Tried to install FW33 and got a message this driver can be safely uninstalled, no longer required.
  3. Uninstalled Thunderbolt software using apps and programs
  4. No Reboot after uninstall
  5. install TBT_WIN10_64_DCH_1.41.645.0 by clicking run on the inf. file.
  6. Driver installed and showing in Device manager and Thunderbolt control center installed.

Rebooted PC and guess what TB disappeared from device manager and TB Control Center not showing device connected to port one anymore.

This is very mysterious I thought I had it cracked...

But everything works.

DPers1
New Contributor III

Attaching SSU report after "upgrade"

SChau10
New Contributor II

DPers1,

My NUC7i5BNH is on BIOS 0076 and TBT FW is 33.

Since your NUC to TV connection is utilizing the TB3 port as a USB-C port and not actually Thunderbolt, both the Intel DCH TB3 driver (1.41.645.0) driver and the companion "Thunderbolt Control Center" app are not needed. I recommend you un-install both as they are only contributing to unnecessary clutter in your system and adding to confusion.

Without an actual TB3 device attached, the "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - xxxx" device will appear offline (greyed/faded) in device manager. This is by Intel design. The "Thunderbolt Control Center" app (having auto installed after manually installing TB3 1.41.645.0 driver) will show no TB3 device connected since you don't have one in your system configuration. Thus, the TB3 controller disappearance from device manager and TB Control Center not showing device connected to port are perfectly correct behavior for your system. To get the TB3 Control Center to display a TB3 device, you will need to plug an actual TB3 device into the TB3 port, such as TB3 dock, external NVMe SSD enclosure (my favorite), external graphics enclosure, etc.

The fact that the "Thunderbolt(TM) Controller - xxxx" device does not even appear in device manager when no true TB3 device is attached can be quite confusing (I certainly was!) but is apparently expected behavior. All my NUCs featuring TB3 ports (3 models) have this same behavior.

You can certainly leave the DCH TB3 driver & TB Control Center app in the installed state, but they are really of no use in your system, and won't be utilized until you attach a TB3 device to the TB3 port. You can relax as there is really nothing wrong with your NUC from what I can tell.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

DPers1
New Contributor III

SChau10,

Thank you for all your help. I think I just leave things as they are then. Who knows next TV might be TB attach. Mind you this one is only six months old.