Did you mean: 
DPers1
New Contributor III

NUC7i5BNH Totally lost Thunderbolt connectivity and HDMI is also behaving funny

Jump to solution

The setup.

HDMI TV TCL65 4K

TBolt ViewSonic 1920 Display

This confoguration has been installed for more than 8 months.

I do have another post describing issues with graphics after 0076 BIOS upgrade and will update there also. This is more serious now.

Now when I boot up the computer I get nothing on the TV and nothing on the display, the only way to get something on the display is to attach it with an HDMI cable to the HDMI port on the NUC.

Tested TB port with three different cables that all worked before today.

None works now. Two are TB to HDMI cables and one is a TB cable with an HDMI adapter at the other end. They worked on both the TV and the ViewSonic also one of them worked on the TV in 4K.

There are also funny things going on on the HDMI port. After booting up

with the display on HDMI I can move the HDMI to the TV and it will shoe the image in 1920 I can also restart the Computer and it will come up on the TV looking normal......BUT if I shut down the computer and start it again with the TV attached to HDMI I get a no signal on the TV and nothing.......

So Now I have a NUC that works with one display on HDMI and thats it.

I have tried reinstalling all TB drivers and HDMI tried different grapics versions I even went all the way back to win64_24.20.100.6025 because it apparently installs the 640 firmware.

Enclosing two  System Support Utility reports on different windows installs.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DPers1
New Contributor III

Well I finally got things working after two and a bit days trying clean installs driver updates left right and center different cables and ports.

I think that somehow attaching the TV via Thunderbolt scared the system into working. My configuration now is totally switched around and I dear not go back I have spent a long time

Rerouting cables and what have you.

Now The TCL65USP65 is connected to the TV via a Cable Matters USB C to HDTV Cable Supporting 4K 60Hz in Black 9.8 Feet - Thunderbolt 3 Port.

The ViewSonic is attached via HDMI in 1920 mode (I am now getting pre window messages on the display I want them)But the problem still remains as far as no life on the TB port until windows is started.

A drawback here is that my TB cable does not support HDR of any kind I would like to know if HDR10 has been tested over TB and if so what cable works?

It works in 2160 without HDR so I can live with that for the Time being, if I can get HDR with a different cable I might have a go.

I am no going to leave things as they are but I will flash new BIOS and other upgrades as they come along hoping I will not have another experience like this.

I had an old i3 clonker built in a PC shop eight years ago and never experienced a singe issue with BIOS or anything else really so I'm very surprised seeing all issues popping up in this community.

Attaching the SSU report on the working config and holding my breath everytime I Power on/restart or wake up my pretty little NUC.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You do realize that W10 1903 is not released and you are running a beta copy, correct?

What is your experience on W10 1809?

Doc

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @DPers1​ ,

In addition to Al's questions I've also my:

1. Is there any reason that you didn't installed the Chipset Driver? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26801/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7...
  2. Did you installed Management Engine Driver? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28215/Intel-Management-Engine-Consumer-Driver-for-Windows-...
  3. Was the HDMI firmware in your NUC updated ? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/HDMI-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i3BN...

Regards

Leon

DPers1
New Contributor III

Downloaded Windows 1809 build 17763.379 using Microsoft Media creation Tool.

Did a clean install of windows.

Reinstalled all Intel drivers I could find. Including BIOS 0076(Not possible to downgrade)

And absolutely no Luck.

No life at all from the TB port Using different cables that worked until yesterday morning.

Only thing working is by attaching display to very short HDMI cable.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @DPers1​ 

1. "Reinstalled all Intel drivers I could find." But I don't see the Chipset Driver Installed although I gave you the link to it in my previous post?
  2. All the drivers for your NUC, you may download from this page https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95067/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNH
  3. Instead of installing the old type Intel Graphic Driver, please install the modern DCH driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28646/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Leon

DPers1
New Contributor III

LWAKSMAN,

I installed the chipset driver, not sure why its not showing in the report. BTW I have all the drivers from your link already on my PC.

Anyway after lots of fiddling I decided to do another clean install and upgrade it to windows pro so at least it was like when the problem started only difference WIN 10 PRO 1809 Build 17763.437

I also put on the latest DCH driver the reason I did not have it before was that I wanted to test with the fully supported driver.

Intel driver assistant is happy that I have all drivers installed. So Here is where I stand right now

Thunderbolt port has no video output whatsoever regardless of windows version or cable used, as I said before I have two TB to HDMI that worked fine one was a USBC to HDMI from Samsung and that was in use for the ViewSonic 1920 display and has been so for six months until everything went pear shaped yesterday. The CableMatters cable I actually had used to connect the TV and I ran 2160 60Hz over the TB port.

Now I'm connected to the TV over HDMI but it's not a good solution.

I need to get TB working but I'm pretty sure its a hardware issue unless it's a BIOS 0076 follow on issue, Before BIOS /6 everything was great but after 76 there was no output on the TB port until Windows was loaded and now I'm here with no output whatsoever. Also there is no way to go back on the BIOS so ...........

Currently My USBC port is DEAD.

New SSU report attache

I have been dealing with PC'c since the first IBM one came out(two Floppies) and this is the only computer I ever run into with BIOS issues.

AlHill
Super User

"I installed the chipset driver, not sure why its not showing in the report."

There is no "chipset" driver. Instead, the chipset INF is a text file that gives the operating system information about a piece of hardware on the system. This information allows the operating system to display the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.

Doc

DPers1
New Contributor III

Well I finally got things working after two and a bit days trying clean installs driver updates left right and center different cables and ports.

I think that somehow attaching the TV via Thunderbolt scared the system into working. My configuration now is totally switched around and I dear not go back I have spent a long time

Rerouting cables and what have you.

Now The TCL65USP65 is connected to the TV via a Cable Matters USB C to HDTV Cable Supporting 4K 60Hz in Black 9.8 Feet - Thunderbolt 3 Port.

The ViewSonic is attached via HDMI in 1920 mode (I am now getting pre window messages on the display I want them)But the problem still remains as far as no life on the TB port until windows is started.

A drawback here is that my TB cable does not support HDR of any kind I would like to know if HDR10 has been tested over TB and if so what cable works?

It works in 2160 without HDR so I can live with that for the Time being, if I can get HDR with a different cable I might have a go.

I am no going to leave things as they are but I will flash new BIOS and other upgrades as they come along hoping I will not have another experience like this.

I had an old i3 clonker built in a PC shop eight years ago and never experienced a singe issue with BIOS or anything else really so I'm very surprised seeing all issues popping up in this community.

Attaching the SSU report on the working config and holding my breath everytime I Power on/restart or wake up my pretty little NUC.

View solution in original post