cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FCalv
Beginner

NUC7i7BN does not recognize M.2 SATA SSD

Hello,

The NUC7i7BN does not recognize the M.2 SATA SSD Crucial MX500 (CT1000MX500SSD4). I tried upgrading the BIOS to the most recent version (BNKBL357.86A.0070.2018.1019.1503) but it did not help. The BIOS configuration is the default one. "Chipset SATA" in Devices>SATA is properly checked, an other SATA SSD connected to the SATA port is properly detected, but the SATA SSD connected to the on-board M.2 socket is not seen. In Devices > PCI, "M.2 Slot" is properly checked, but it appears as "Not Populated" with VendorID:DeviceID = .

Any ideas?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello calvofl0,

Thank you for posting.

Have you tested the SSD on another system? This will help to check if there is an issue with the SSD itself.

You may want to consider that this M.2 SATA SSD has not been Intel valited for this model, you can check this here: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=NUC7i7BN http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=NUC7i7BN

Amy C

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

FCalv
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer. Yes, I have just tested the SSD on a different motherboard and it works. I understand that the M.2 SATA SSD Crucial MX500 has not been Intel-validated for the Intel NUC, but the number of Intel-validated equivalent products is rather reduced and none of these is available from our provider. It is however my understanding that the Crucial MX500 is a relatively standard hardware and should work with the NUC7i7BNH according to both Crucial and Intel's specifications.

Besides, when plugged on the other motherboard, the SSD has a LED that immediately switches on when the motherboard is switched on, indicating that the SSD is powered. This LED remains switched off when the SSD is plugged on the Intel NUC.

Is there any diagnostic tool to check whether the M.2 port of the NUC works? Meanwhile we are trying to get a different M.2 SSD in order to test it on the Intel NUC.

Thank you!

idata
Community Manager

Sure, I understand that. We just wanted to let you know about the tested parts from our end.

Since you tested another motherboard, the test could be indicating a compatibility issue with the SSD or hardware issue on the Intel® NUC side. We do not offer any tool to check if the M.2 ports work, the only test is to try another compatible M.2 device.

I would recommend to proceed with a BIOS recovery and then update the version in case of a corrupt BIOS file. See below.

Amy C

FCalv
Beginner

Hello,

I had already tried a BIOS update, from the original BIOS in the Intel NUC, to the new BNKBL357.86A.0070 BIOS, using the BN0070.bio file and the F7 method. Moreover, I now got a new Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVME, that is not working either. Please note that the previous model, the 960 PRO NVME, appears in the list of Intel-validated products. It is also my belief that the problem is not compatibility-related, since the Intel motherboard is not even powering the two M.2 devices that have been testing (a LED should turn on on the devices when they are powered and they don't). The other tested device, the M.2 SATA SSD Crucial MX500, works perfectly in a different motherboard.

Additionally, none of the two devices appear in the BIOS, which states for the M.2 slot: "Not Populated" with VendorID:DeviceID = .

Should I send back the Intel NUC or is it some other diagnostic I could try first? If I should send it back, should I attach some reference to the present conversation?

Thank you.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/130198 calvofl0, thank you for that info.

At this stage, I agree this could be a hardware failure. Yes, send the unit back. You can share this thread as reference.

Amy C