Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12304 Discussions

NUC7i7BNB screen frequently goes black for a number of seconds, then video comes back.

akulbe
Beginner

I have the NUC7i7BNB connected to a 32" Dell display (UP3216Q) running 4K @ 60Hz using a Thunderbolt-to-Displayport connector.

From what I read, the "Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650" adapter should be able to drive 4K @ 60Hz... however I'm regularly experiencing the entire screen going black for a couple/few seconds, and then coming back on as if it were business as usual.

I have used the same cable and display with two other laptops that have Nvidia display adapters in them (one a GTX1050, the other a Quadro P2000) and I have no display issues with them at any point... so it doesn't seem like a cable or display problem.

Any thoughts? I've attached the output from the System Support Utility to this post.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RolandT
New Contributor I

you are not alone:-)

At times my NUC worked, I had the same problems with my LG 4K monitor. Changing cables usb-c, HDMI, etc did not fix the problem. Updating drivers, monitor firmware all to the latest versions did not fix the problem. I returned the NUC to Intel, so if the common factor is the NUC, I'm hoping to get a new NUC that does not have these issues.

I guess most users having windows 10 probably run the same drivers (at least the majority), so as not everyone has this problem it must be hardware related. It is seen with many different monitor brands and different cables so all eyes are on the NUC.

Sarcastrix
Novice

RolandT, thanks for your contribution to the thread.

It will be interesting to see if Intel are prepared to give some feedback on this issue as I think returning my NUC may be the only solution.

LFERR12
Beginner

Same problem on my nuc 7i5bnh with 4k monitors using thunderbolt connection. To date, no solution other than setting 30hz.

AlexRnR
Beginner

Hi all! I'm experiencing this issue from a couple of days on my NUC10i5.

Never had this problem before Everything updated to the latest versions.

Monitor (LG34WN750) connected with usb-c/DP cable.

Connecting with HDMI works like a charm with no issues... but I need all the connections working (for other devices).

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Did the USB-C-to-DP cable come with the monitor? If so, it is, by definition, crap; chuck it in the garbage and purchase one with a little quality to it.

Just saying,

...S

AlexRnR
Beginner

Monitor came with a HDMI cable. Bought a USB-C-to-DP off Amazon IVANKY brand with all good reviews and up to 6k@60Hz compatibility...

AlexRnR
Beginner
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This may have nothing to do with your problem; it's purely a FYI:

Depending upon the capabilities of the monitor - and specifically whether it includes a USB presence (a USB hub, for example) - you may be limited on USB-C/DP to 4K@30Hz. This is because, if USB is supported by the monitor, the lanes available for transmitting DP video are cut in half (from 4 down to 2).

...S