Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iMalk1
Novice

NUC7i7BNB shuts down on gaming or GPU bench-marking.

Jump to solution

I have NUC7i7BNB with the following specs:

Triple boot: Win 10 pro, Ubuntu 18.04, & Ubuntu 19.10

CPU: I7-7567U 3.5 GHz

Integrated Graphic: Intel Iris plus 650 (Kaby Lake GT3e)

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2X 16 GB DDR4 2133

SSD: Intel 600p 1 TB M.2

Issue:

Every time I run a game ==> NUC shuts down

Also, whenever I tried "different" bench marking software to test the GPU ==> NUC shuts down.

Since I have multiple boot OS, I tried the same on Ubuntu 18.04 and no problem!

I believe it is something to do with Win 10 graphic card driver or other drivers.

Things I tried:

I updated the BIOS to the most recent version, and I tried it with and without the Turbo BOOST Tech. option, but no difference "still shuts down".

I changed the RAM with brand new one and same issue.

I checked the power and heat and they are OK.

I run a game with a window mode "not full screen" and with lower resolution, yet, NUC shuts down.

Note (1): NUC shuts down every time I run Intel_Processor_Diagnostic_tool test ==> I run it in Safe Mode.

Please, see the attached SSU_Result file for detailed system info.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, your Windows 10 graphics driver is horribly out of date. The same goes for your Wireless, Bluetooth and Ethernet drivers too! While the SSU report doesn't tell us, you likely also have out of date ME and Chipset (INF Update) packages too.

What I suggest you do is (1) Manually update the Graphics driver and (2) Install Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use it to update the rest of the drivers.

Manually updating the Intel HD Graphics driver package will take a few steps, due to the fact that you have a old, non-DCH driver package:

1. Download the latest driver package from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28208/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-NUC7i3BN....
  2. Uninstall the existing driver. Don't do this from Device Manager. Go into Apps and Features, find the entry for the Intel Graphics driver package and uninstall it.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Install this driver package that you downloaded earlier.
  5. Reboot.

Next, Download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. It should scan and find the other drivers that are out of date and help you start their install. Keep running it until everything is updated.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, your Windows 10 graphics driver is horribly out of date. The same goes for your Wireless, Bluetooth and Ethernet drivers too! While the SSU report doesn't tell us, you likely also have out of date ME and Chipset (INF Update) packages too.

What I suggest you do is (1) Manually update the Graphics driver and (2) Install Intel Driver & Support Assistant and use it to update the rest of the drivers.

Manually updating the Intel HD Graphics driver package will take a few steps, due to the fact that you have a old, non-DCH driver package:

1. Download the latest driver package from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28208/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-NUC7i3BN....
  2. Uninstall the existing driver. Don't do this from Device Manager. Go into Apps and Features, find the entry for the Intel Graphics driver package and uninstall it.
  3. Reboot.
  4. Install this driver package that you downloaded earlier.
  5. Reboot.

Next, Download and install the Intel Driver & Support Assistant. It should scan and find the other drivers that are out of date and help you start their install. Keep running it until everything is updated.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @iMalk1​ 

1. You are repeating same post: https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004af5GsSAI/nuc7i7bnb-shuts-down-on-gaming-in-full-screen... No need for that.
  2. In the first post I've suggested to you to update the Graphics Driver from version 24.20.100.6194 to version 26.20.100.7529.
  3. You answered that you have updated the driver, but it did not help.
  4. However, when I read the SSU_Result, attached to your post above, I can see that your driver wasn't updated and you have still the old driver 24.20.100.6194 installed.

Leon

iMalk1
Novice

Hi @LWAKSMAN​ 

I repeated it for I am not sure if it is a driver, Bios, or Graphic issue. Also, to get more inputs since each one is in a different group.

The SSU file had the original driver info before I updated it, as you mentioned. I did not create a new SSU file after updating the driver.

Thanks

iMalk1
Novice

@n.scott.pearson​ 

Thank you! The Graphic driver you suggested worked!