cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpell6
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH & 4K - Did I mess up?

Jump to solution

Recently acquired a NUC7i7BNH to fill-in as a light duty Plex server (single stream, mostly direct play).

Win10 Pro

500GB m.2 SSD

2TB HDD

Cat 5 Wired

All seems to be working except when I attempt to use the NUC as a Plex client. I get playback on my 1080p content, but a only black screen (w/audio) for 4K HDR content. The NUC can serve 4K content to my other Plex clients with no complaints (AndroidTV, LGTV, TiVo). Using the NUC as a Plex client/player is my issue. Before purchasing, I had read 4K playback was possible on these devices.

So far, here are my steps:

1. Swapped out HDMI cables, swapped to alternate HDMI Inputs to LGTV 4K TV

2. Updated BIOS to latest v1.72, dated 11/20/2017 (claims to update HDMI 2.0 Firmware)

3. Updated Graphics driver to latest v24.20.100.6025, dated 5/7/2018

Multiple reboots, confirmed the BIOS and drivers updates have "stuck", still getting blank screen with 4K content.

Questions:

1. Did I misunderstand the 4K playback capability of this device?

2. Any other BIOS/Config settings to tweak?

3. Any suggestions to get this NUC working as expected?

Thank you!

Mark

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mpell6
Beginner

Following up:

It appears as if Intel NUC7i7 & Win10 are not the culprit here.

1. Win10 Settings > Display > Select HDR/WCG = ON - LGTV flips to HDR mode and displays the expected indicator on-screen

Even in Win10's HDR mode (noted above), Plex will not play HDR content, just HD/SDR. HDR content appears as Back Screen w/audio.

So, a Plex Media Player issue.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mHoug
Beginner

if i'm reading your thread right then your using plex as the player, does that support 4k HDR playback? if not then no go. the hardware is capable but still needs the software

mpell6
Beginner

Following up:

It appears as if Intel NUC7i7 & Win10 are not the culprit here.

1. Win10 Settings > Display > Select HDR/WCG = ON - LGTV flips to HDR mode and displays the expected indicator on-screen

Even in Win10's HDR mode (noted above), Plex will not play HDR content, just HD/SDR. HDR content appears as Back Screen w/audio.

So, a Plex Media Player issue.

View solution in original post