cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH broken sensor after bios update 0060

$ uname -a

Linux 4.14.8-1-ARCH # 1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 20 21:27:44 UTC 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sensors

coretemp-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

Package id 0: +34.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 0: +34.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

Core 1: +33.0°C (high = +100.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

acpitz-virtual-0

Adapter: Virtual device

temp1: -263.2°C << this one

iwlwifi-virtual-0

temp1: +47.0°C

pch_skylake-virtual-0

temp1: +37.0°C

It shows ACPI/DSDT parse errors, don't know if the kernel needs to be patched.

Another question in the BIOS the temps. are way higher then when booted into Linux, is this normal?

It displays ~58°C as CPU temp. idle. See above for idle temps. when booted.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello francoism,

Thank you for contacting Intel® technical support. I will be more than happy to help you.

I understand that you are having issues with the temperature detected by your Linux* distribution after updating the BIOS to the version 0060.

Please bear in mind that the Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7BNH only supports Windows® 10 (64-bit), so it might not behave as expected with a different operating system.

Unless you need to use the BIOS version 0060, I would recommend you to downgrade the BIOS version to the one that was working properly in your system. You can check more information about downgrading the BIOS in the next link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006922/mini-pcs.html

However, if you need to keep using the BIOS version 0060, and since Linux* is out of our scope of support with this device, I recommend you to contact your Linux* distribution forums or mailing lists for further assistance and suggestions.

We understand the importance of providing quick solutions, so you can also contact us via our live chat from Monday to Friday 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM (Pacific Time) or you can provide us a call back number and the best time within our support hours so we can contact you. Next is the link to the live chat support:

http://intelsupportchat.force.com/icslivechat/ics_tech_desktop_ww_english_Chat

Regards,

Xavier A.
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello intel_corp,

Thanks for your reply!

I have submitted a bug report on the Linux kernel tracker.

Regards,

François

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello francoism,

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello francoism,

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Dear Intel People,

this is no linux problem, this is clearly a BIOS problem. I'm using Xubuntu 17.10 with BIOS 0061 and I have the same issue, temperature reads -263.2°C.

This still worked with BIOS 0054 so the issue must have been introduced with BIOS v 0060.

Please fix this asap.

Regards, Ben

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Same here, temperature probe appeared just fine before the BIOS update on Linux, and now it's broken displaying -263°C, is it planned to fix it in a further BIOS revision? Thanks guys

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Elmidea,

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please submit a new thread since we handle every case individually and every scenario is different even if the same product is being used. The next agent will be able to further assist you on this matter.

Regards,

Xavier A.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

See progress: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=198287 198287 – NUC7i7BNH broken sensor after bios update 0060

Before updating the BIOS, I have an question about the following change:

"Removed the 1024 MB and largeroptions in the "IGD Aperture Size" setup item."

Why this option removed? A bit weird, especially when you want to play 4K material.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This option is only provided and necessary to support large VM configurations. For normal Windows users, you should leave this and all related parameters at their default values. Changing them will not improve performance nor will it make any difference in 4K monitor support or operation. The Intel HD Graphics driver automatically handles the reservation of memory for graphics support. Let it do its job.

Hope this helps,

...S

Highlighted
Beginner

I'm a Linux user, but this will not make a big difference. For power-users it may be better to keep full control of options available, but if it doesn't offer any performance improvements, I'll leave it to default.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hhmmm, unfortunately, I cannot verify whether or not the Linux version of the driver also supports the dynamic memory assignment capability. You will have to check with the folks at Linux.org for this information.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I just realized I didn't answer part of your original question. The explanation I got was that, when using VMs, there are requirements that each VM have its own "aperture". To run eight VMs, you would need the overall aperture size to be 1024K (eight times 128K). It was found, however, that making the aperture larger than this (i.e. larger than 1024K) can create issues for Windows startup (my guess: because it is consuming too much of the bottom 4GB of the address space). They thus decided to limit the aperture size to 1024K. If I understand this correctly, this also implies that the maximum number of VMs possible will be eight.

In response to your last post, yes, the parameters are still available for power users - like those using VMs - that need to make changes, but limited in this way to avoid stability issues.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos