Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MQues
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH - cleaning dust

Hi intel_corp

Following on from your message here:

You said "you can always clean it for example twice a month to make sure it is not accumulating dust."

Can you please share instructions on the best way to clean the NUC7i7BNH from dust?

I don't want to damage the fan's ball bearings, for example.

Can you share photos or even better a video on the best and safest method please?

Appreciated

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Thank you very much for sharing your issue with the Intel Communities Team, berrys2000. I will be more than glad to assist you.

The recommendation posted in that threat is just a recommendation to avoid accumulating dust, however, we do not have instructions to achieve this. You can find different videos and forums on the internet where this is explained.

Antony S.
MQues
Beginner

Hi, there are no videos on how to clean this NUC specifically (which was my question).

Hence I was asking for some direction from Intel Support.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

It's simple; purchase a can of compressed air. Insert straw into opening in top of can intended for it. Take NUC outside (no point blowing dust back into room). Aim straw into blower exhaust of the NUC and, keeping can upright, press button and spray for a few seconds. Repeat in a few other openings around the NUC.

...S

MQues
Beginner

Hi Scott and thanks!

So the NUC doesn't actually need to be opened for this at all?

Is the dust meant to blow out of the NUC via other vents while the NUC is closed

Or is the aim just to blow it out of the fan? If the latter, then it's ok if the dust just goes elsewhere inside the NUC, as long as it's out of the fan?

Appreciated.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The airflow pattern in the NUC is designed to pass air over and thus cool both surfaces of the board. Air comes in passive openings, flows over the bottom of the board (the surface you attach M.2 devices and memory SO-DIMMs to), goes around the board's edges, over the upper surface of the board and then enters and is exhausted by the blower.

To completely clean the NUC, you would need to remove the board from the chassis. This was fairly easy to do in early NUC designs, but now, with microphone arrays, etc. included, it has become a *lot* more difficult and the chance of unintentional damage higher. Doing this regularly is going to increase the chances of something going wrong. I thus compromise and provide a "safe" process that everyone can use. It is certainly not as good, but should be good enough if done regularly.

This process works in reverse to the airflow pattern. You start by blowing air into the exhaust port, freeing up dust collecting there and in the blower itself. By then blowing air into the various passive ports, you should be able to get most of this dust to exhaust. If you hook up and power on your NUC immediately after performing this process, the small amount of loose dust left inside the chassis should be ejected by the normal airflow (i.e. sucked into the blower and exhausted through the exhaust port).

Hope this covers it,

...S

MQues
Beginner

Thanks Scott. Best explanation and solution I've read anywhere. Appreciated.