cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KAlde1
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH does not recognize 3TB USB WD MyPassport in BIOS

Hi,

i have a NUC7i7BNH with Bios BNKBL357.86A. Now i wanted to attach a 3 TB WD MyPassport USB drive to backup my system on (with Acronis Backup). Unfortunately the Bios doesn't see the USB drive, so i can't read any backups from it. In the Boot Menu it is also not seen, also changing the Bios to UEFI doesn't help.

What can i do?

Sorry for my English, i am Swiss :-)

Thanks

Forelle

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, you've provided the base portion of the BIOS identifier that lets us know that this is a BN BIOS, but not the portion that we are really interested in, namely the version you have installed.

The BN BIOS identifiers are formatted like this "BNKBL357.86A.VVVV.YYYY.MMDD.HHMM", where VVVV specifies the version number and YYYY.MMDD.HHMM specifies when the BIOS was built (year, month, day, hour, minute).

Why do you need the BIOS to "see" the drive? The BIOS cannot restore backups for you. Do you want to boot from this drive? That is, is there a standalone (bootable) tool that you use to restore backups?

From the standpoint of the BIOS and its Boot Order, only those volumes that are bootable are going to show up. The volumes that are UEFI bootable will show up in the UEFI list and the volumes that are Legacy bootable will show up in the Legacy list. If you do not boot from the drive or it does not yet have the bootable image on it, it will not be shown in either of the lists.

...S

KAlde1
Beginner

Hi,

i'm very sorry for the delayed response :-)

I don't want to boot from it, only access it outside from Windows for backup and restore purpose

I have the newest BIOS:

BIOS-Version/-Datum Intel Corp. BNKBL357.86A.0060.2017.1214.2013, 14.12.2017

I thougt that i have to "see" the drive in the Bios to access it properly, but that seems not the case.

In the meanwhile i built an Acronis USB Boot drive with Windows 10 PE on it and now i can access the drive.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Forelle

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Forelle,

1. What type of partition have your HDD? Since your HDD size exceeds 2.2 TB, the partition should be GPT rather than MRB.

2. From your post it is not clear to me if in Windows your HDD is recognized? It is formatted?

Leon

KAlde1
Beginner

Hi,

i have only one GPT partition on it.

Windows 10 recognize the drive properly. I can access it and can store files and backups on it.

Thanks

Kind regards

Forelle

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I just ran a quick test. I used a 2TB WD My Passport (MBR partitioned) and a 3TB Seagate Backup Plus (GPT partitioned). In both single-drive-connected and both-drives-connected tests, they showed up without issue in both the Visual BIOS boot order display and the F10 boot menu. I am running on i7 BN with BIOS 61 installed.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello, Forelle.

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team.

I would like to know if you still need assistance regarding this issue. If so, I would like to know which is specifically the BIOS version as N. Scott Pearson requested and please share with me as lw1948 asked, if the disk is recognized by the OS.

Antony S.

Antony S.
jema
Novice

I don't think it is an issue but check that the version of acronis that you use support usb 3.

By the way, are you using acronis in Windows?