Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IThol
New Contributor I

NUC7i7BNH fan noise.. memory related

I have a NUC7i7BNH with 2 banks of HyperX memory of 16GB (32GB) total.

I'm having issues with a very loud fan. Just with browsing only in Chrome! Sounds like a hairdryer!

I have seen the bios setting is one of the forum topics here nut that did not help. It seems that it does not matter what i set it keep blowing at 5000+ rpm!

Wht i did that helped...

I took one of the memory banks out! And that made a lot of difference ..But i lost 16GB now..

Not a fix ..just an observation.

For the record.

Latest Bios and up to date Windows 10 x64.

Seagate 1TB ST1000LM014 drive

Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB

HyperX Memory 16 + 16GB

0 Kudos
18 Replies
IThol
New Contributor I

I was too early with my conclusion. Although it is a bit less, it is still there!

Loud!

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Please post a recording.

IThol
New Contributor I

I have added some files.

Recording and 2 screenshots.

n_scott_pearson

Imre,

Here are settings for you to try:

/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-504289-416703/pastedImage_0.png

These settings should cause the fan to be turned off if the Processor and Memory temperatures are below 48c. If the temperatures go above this threshold, the fan will be turned on at 20%. From there, as temperatures rise, the fan will be sped up accordingly for Memory temperatures above 53c and processor temperatures above 63c. The fan will run at full speed for any processor temperature above 83 and any memory temperature above 73.

Hope this helps,

...S

IThol
New Contributor I

I have downloaded the Intel Processor Diagnostics Tool and it fails.

It says that i have to check my thermal solution. Should i replace the Thermal paste with some ARctic Silver?

I have put the Results file in the first post.

IThol
New Contributor I

Oh and your settings did not help.

DDok
Beginner

Thanks Scott! It made a noticable difference.

I struggled with the loud fan in this NUC model for a while. I upgraded BIOS a month ago to 0062, and yesterday to 0063.

Changing the settings in Cooling tab did nothing, like they were completely ignored. The fan(blower?) was running at constant 3700-3800 RPM regardless of what I did.

I think the important part when trying to solve this was to do BIOS upgrade using Recovery option (turn off, plug in usb stick with update file, hold power button for 3 sec, then F4), instead of the F7 or other option. I did Recovery with 0063 version (it was already on 0063, but previously I did it F7 way). It seems this one actually "unblocked" the Cooling settings for me.

Once it started to obey the settings I played a little with various settings, but eventually settled on the values shown in Scott's screenshot.

Note that when you're in BIOS settings the system seems to be running at full speed, with no power savings etc. So trying to observe if you have the settings right while watching the BIOS Cooling tab is not the best test.

n_scott_pearson

That is correct; you definitely cannot tune this while in BIOS. When you are in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) or the UEFI Shell, all power management features are disabled and, because interrupts are also disabled, the processor is free running; spinning in a loop constantly polling for mouse or keyboard input. As a result, the processor is going to run much hotter than when at Windows/Linux idle state.

...S

IThol
New Contributor I

Oh and i forgot to mention that i have two NUC7i7BNH models (different memory) but both machines are having the same issues.

I really think this is a cooling problem.

n_scott_pearson

My thought is that the uC in the SIO is not receiving or is not running the fan speed control equation being specified in the BIOS.

What you need to do is:

1. install (or reinstall, as the case may be) the latest BIOS using the Recovery Method.

2. During subsequent POST, use F2 to go into BIOS Setup.

3. Press F9 (followed by Y) to reset BIOS Configuration.

4. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save configuration and exit BIOS Setup.

5.During subsequent POST, use F2 to again enter BIOS Setup.

6. Make any changes you absolutely need in BIOS Setup (Boot Order, SATA Mode, etc.).

7. Reapply the fan speed control configuration I supplied above.

8. Press F10 (followed by Y) to save configuration and exit BIOS Setup.

During Windows operation, run a tool that will collect temperature and fan control data so you can see if the SIO is reacting properly.

Hope this helps,

...S

IThol
New Contributor I

I have done the recovery bios and did not alter anything.

It did not help much. A bit but i have reinstalled my computer so not many process run. Having Chrome open with several tabs causes the fan to blow!

n_scott_pearson

Forget the blower for the moment; let's look at actual temperatures. Run something like AIDA64 and watch what they do (it can be run for free in trial period).

...S

IThol
New Contributor I

Let me say this. a couple of days ago i came home and the NUC was at a dos screen telling me that it was restarted because it was to hot.

I always leave my computer on and i goes to sleep automatically.

IThol
New Contributor I

I just bought a drone and i cannot edit a movie without it getting to hot!

n_scott_pearson

Ok, you need to be looking closely at the fan speed control configuration. This is controlled from within the BIOS. I rather doubt that any of the (horrible) built-in configurations that they provide will suffice; you will need to create a custom one.

You probably need to take the configuration out of Max Performance mode as well. This is done within both BIOS Setup and the Windows configuration.

Hope this helps,

...S

IThol
New Contributor I

I think i found a solution.

Changed thermal paste. This did not solve the fan noise but it is 15c cooler now.

What did help was changing the sensor from processor to PCH.

Look good to me.

--------[ Sensor ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sensor Properties:

Sensor Type NUC (MMIO FE410500h)

Motherboard Name Intel Baby Canyon NUC7ixBN

Temperatures:

Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)

CPU 44 °C (111 °F)

CPU Package 44 °C (111 °F)

CPU IA Cores 42 °C (108 °F)

CPU GT Cores 40 °C (104 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 1 39 °C (102 °F)

CPU # 1 / Core # 2 42 °C (108 °F)

PCH 44 °C (111 °F)

PCH Diode 45 °C (112 °F)

DIMM 39 °C (102 °F)

Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB [ TRIAL VERSION ]

ST1000LM014-1EJ164 [ TRIAL VERSION ]

Cooling Fans:

CPU 3364 RPM

Voltage Values:

CPU Core 0.252 V

CPU VID 1.047 V

VCCIO 0.964 V

DIMM 1.183 V

Power Values:

CPU Package 3.81 W

CPU IA Cores 0.96 W

CPU GT Cores [ TRIAL VERSION ]

CPU Uncore 1.67 W

DIMM 0.87 W

IThol
New Contributor I

Forgot to mention that i could even run a Heaven Benchmark for 45 minutes and it did not get hot! I could not touch the top side of the NUC before. Now i can.

n_scott_pearson

No, you can't so that! The fan *has* to react to the processor temperature. If the processor gets busy and the fan isn't reacting, it is going to reach damaging temperatures and throttle performance anyway.

...S