Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11299 Discussions

NUC7i7BNH resets on Powerup with M.2 EVO 970 SSD fitted

DiyJim
Beginner

I have recently decided to replace the 32gb Optane memory in my NUC (fitted from purchase) with a Samsung EVO 970 SSD 500gb. I disabled the Optane memory, powered down the NUC and replaced the Optane Memory with the EVO 970. When I reassembled and pressed the power button, the NUC starts power up and after a few seconds, shuts down then tries to power up again, getting hung in a continuous loop of power up and down.

when I remove the EVO970 and replace the Optane memory, NUC operation returns to normal.

Am I missing a critical step somewhere? bios setting?

any help appreciated.

DiyJim

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. How the NUC starts with Optane disable and removed from the NUC (only HDD, without M.2 SSD)?

2. In addition to disable Optane Memory, before removing Optane, you need to change SATA mode in BIOS Advanced > Sata > Chipset SATA Mode from "Intel Premium with Intel Optane..." to "AHCI". In order to change this mode without corrupting Windows follow my instructions (after disabling Optane and before removing it from the NUC:

3. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig .  Chose Boot tab and enable Safe boot. Reboot your system.

4. During system boot enter Bios again.

5. Now you can change the SATA mode to "AHCI". Save the setting (click on F10 folowed by "Y") and boot into windows in SAFE mode. Disregard the warning you will see.

6. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot

7. Reboot your system. Now your system is bootable in "AHCI" mode and you should be able to boot without Optane.

Leon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. How the NUC starts with Optane disable and removed from the NUC (only HDD, without M.2 SSD)?

2. In addition to disable Optane Memory, before removing Optane, you need to change SATA mode in BIOS Advanced > Sata > Chipset SATA Mode from "Intel Premium with Intel Optane..." to "AHCI". In order to change this mode without corrupting Windows follow my instructions (after disabling Optane and before removing it from the NUC:

3. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig .  Chose Boot tab and enable Safe boot. Reboot your system.

4. During system boot enter Bios again.

5. Now you can change the SATA mode to "AHCI". Save the setting (click on F10 folowed by "Y") and boot into windows in SAFE mode. Disregard the warning you will see.

6. While in Windows, press Windows key + r. Run msconfig. Chose Boot tab and uncheck Safe boot

7. Reboot your system. Now your system is bootable in "AHCI" mode and you should be able to boot without Optane.

Leon

View solution in original post

DiyJim
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Worked a treat! Scoured the net for this process and the best I came up with was “don’t forget to disable the Optane”.

Many thanks for the help

Cheers....Jim

LeonWaksman
Super User

I was glad to help you. Now I assume, you will clone the HDD to your new SSD? After having the O.S. and programs moved to SSD, you may still use the HDD for data storage.

Leon