Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH screen does not wake up from sleep

I am having issues with my NUC7i7BNH where the screen most of the times is not coming back out of sleep mode (sometimes it does work as how it should be).

The keyboard seems still to be responsive (numlock light is still going on and off), but the monitor does not come back. I installed the latest version (4678) of the Intel Graphic drivers and all other drivers are the latest as well.

I am running Windows 10 Pro version 1703. I have seen that there are quite some users of the NUC7i7BNH that reports on crashes of their NUC. Maybe mine issue is the same, but I don't know. The only thing I can think of is long pressing the power button to restart the NUC, but I think the NUC is not crashed, but I can't tell for sure as the screen remains blank.

One other thing that I find particular is that the Intel Driver Update Utility (V2.8.0.7) shows an unknown version number for the following two drivers:

- Thunderbolt Bus Driver for Intel NUC Kit NUC7i5BN and NUC7i7BN

- Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 10 for Intel NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN and NUC7i7BN

Hope someone can inform me what I can do to resolve the issue that my screen does not come back when in sleep.

0 Kudos
65 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

I am also having this issue in recent weeks.

Intel NUC7i7BNH

16GB Ballistix DDR4

250GB Samsung Pro 960 EVO

Latest HD Graphics (4877)

BIOS current (0061)

connection via HDMI cable (tried multiple new cables)

Display is LG 27MU58-B

Only a hard shutdown using NUC power button resolves the issue when it occurs.

Intel's support and quality are the reasons I bought this NUC. It is disheartening to see NUC owners have been facing this issue for 7+ months.

ETA: I bought this NUC in early October, but did not experience this issue (no resume from display off) until late December. Once the issue presented, it occurred at least once a day.

So I checked my downloads folder for an Intel Graphics driver I installed during a period this was not an issue.

I uninstalled the current driver, installed GFX_WIN10_64_15.60.0.4849 and I've had 5 days without the issue -- too early to be conclusive, but at least I'm not constantly frustrated

ETA 2: Well I got 7 days before this issue manifested again. So although it occurred with less frequency using the .4849 driver, it did still present. Frustrating for sure

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I have the same problem. Display comes to live only when I shutdown NUC and switch it on with power button. Simply waking it up from sleep mode with my mouse makes my display beep - so there is at least some sort of signal -, but after a few seconds it says "No signal, going to sleep".

I'm using a NUC7i5BNK, connected to LG 27UD68P-B via Thunderbolt to Display Port adapter.

I hope someone will finds a solution, to return my computer and buy another one would be an nightmare.

Regards,

Stefano

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I had an issue similar to Stefano (a USB-C to DisplayPort connected Dell U2415 display to my NUC7i7BNH would often not wake from sleep despite replacing the cable multiple times), but in my case the resolution was to switch to a USB-C to HDMI cable. My results do not speak to a definitive solution, but if you can try alternate monitors inputs it might help isolate the behavior further.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I don't have a fix for this issue (which has existed in one form or another within the Intel HD Graphics driver since the Haswell days), but I do know of a workaround: disable Monitor Sleep. Right-click on the Windows Start button and select Power Options. In the resulting Power & Sleep scene, set the Screen parameter to Never.

I know that some folks consider this an unacceptable workaround (as it wastes a little bit of power), but its the only thing that works consistently.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Scott,

you told me already about this solution in my own thread, thanks a lot for your contribution. But doing this had no influence on my problem. What I ask myself is how it could have an influence on Windows behaviour on wakeup from sleep mode if you tell Windows "Hands off display while you're running!" Whether or not you do so Windows should do the one thing when it is woken up: Send a video signal to the display. Not?

Thanks to Bob as well. Do these NUCs have a HDMI signal over TB Port? May be I try that, but directly from NUCs HDMI port to my displays HDMI port showed another problem: I got only 30HZ refresh rate.

Regards,

Stefano

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Wht the driver sends the wakeup message to some monitors and not others is a mystery to me. I first reported this way, way back when the (4th gen) WY NUCs were released. I gave up waiting and just disable Monitor Sleep. Since then, they have said it has been fixed; obviously not; not for my Samsung TV and not for some of my Acer DVI monitors (they wakeup if using DP-to-DVI but not HDMI-to-DVI).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Just back from holidays and looking at this problem again.

Considering the number of people on this forum with the problem, it is disappointing that Intel does not want to deal with it. Has anyone been able to return their NUC as not fit for purpose? A device designed for low power should be able to use low power modes. Masking the problem with a black screen saver is so not right.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Let's be clear: Intel is not avoiding the issue; they want it fixed just as badly as you do. The problem is that the Intel HD Graphics driver development team's resources are limited and there are higher priority issues and features that they need to deal with first. Unfortunately, because of the prioritization process, no schedule for this NUC-related work can be set. The NUC development team regularly meets with the driver development team and attempts to get the priority of their issues raised, but there is only so much give.

What is the problem? Let's put it in perspective. Each year, Intel sells many tens of thousands of NUCs to individual users. At the same time, Intel sells many tens of millions of processors, chipsets and other silicon to the big MNCs. As a result, when these MNCs have a complaint, the impact is significantly higher and the resulting priority is correspondingly higher. Where these complaints jive with the complaints coming from the NUC owners, the problems are addressed fairly quickly (relatively speaking). Where they don't jive, however, the issues can languish in the queue awaiting resources.

All I can say is, stay tuned. They will eventually get to this issue and it will be addressed then. I just wish it could be sooner...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello is i have the same problems, is there a solution? Or is it just hard shutdown or put monitor never to sleep? Thanks for the answer...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Unfortunately, this is an issue that has been around for a very long time (I first saw this issue in the (4th generation) WY NUCs). Disabling Screen/Monitor Sleep in the Windows Power & Sleep Settings is the only workaround that I know of for avoiding this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Are you running the latest GFx driver for BN (15.65.4.4944) ? You may not need it but did you install the HDMI 2.0 firmware update?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26609/NUCs-HDMI-2-0-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-Intel-NUC-Kit... Download HDMI 2.0 Firmware Update Tool for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, NUC7i7BN, NUC6CAY

Also, how old is your monitor? Could it be an issue with that? Did you try another monitor?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Guys,

I don't know if it was the last Windows update or maybe the last driver update, but the problem was gone some weeks ago.

It sleeps and comes back without any issues.

I hope it lasts forever.

Piau

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello Scott Pearson:

The problem I have is you should not have to try a work around or hocus pocus bull? This has been a known issue for over two years now and Intel has not fixed it permanent? I have over 200 NUC7i7BNH in the field in Government courthouses and even just this week I have experienced everything from flickering monitors, going to sleep and not waking, and just plain going to black screen! My company has spent hundreds of man hours on these PC's and we are a software company not hardware but we are loosing resources dealing with this issue. I have read across this blog of all kinds of hocus pocus solutions and believe me I have tried them all. I am definitely moving away from USBc to display port cables which is now costing my company several thousand dollars just in a hope to move past this issue. Maybe we all need to join together and start talking to the legal department? I hate that idea but it is getting very frustrating. The older NUCs that used mini-display ports I have no issues with. Its the newer generation NUC7i7BNH. Agh I wish I had never bought them. My company is a software company by design and we do work in County level governments developing software that is reliable and does not shut down or have issues. I know just how complex it can be, but Intel needs to get on the stick and test better in Beta before releasing.

Sorry for the long response and I know I am just releasing the frustration I feel for having to go back and replace cables and send men out to the field to once again update bios and do a several things to figure out all the dual monitor issues that keep happening. IN TWO WORDS FOR INTEL......"FIX IT!" I have started logging all lost time and money on this issue my company is facing.

Thank you Scott for trying to help!!

Sincerely

Gene Yoho

Compiled Technologies

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Gene absolutely right , obviously i came here for a reason... facilitated by intel a nuc7i3bnk with "no wake" bug. which means i might have to switch the customer to another option lucky i built a prototype first

And Scott , its really pathetic excuse if it really came from intel that a 2 year problematic product still spinning out and SW devs got no time for it . i deal with micro imu UAV controllers which are $50 a pop and u should see panic manufacturers go thru when something similar happens minds u company size difference and that the intel costs about x16 time the price of that little controller.

Now that "HDMI BIOS" update makes one think it maybe a Hardware issue rather which intel tried to rectify thru FW and failed miserably for 2 years !!! yohog304 maybe you should negotiate NUC8 replacement plan.

cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have Nuc8i5BEK with the same problem.

Strange thing that I have turned off sleep and turn off monitor options, but after some time, after going from HDMI 2 (ps4 connected to monitor) to HDMI 1 (NUC connected) monitor can not be waked up. I see NUC power button is working (light is blue) and HDD led is blinking so it seems something is working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Same problem for me every time that the TV is turned off and then back on after some minutes... The solution I found is pressing Ctrl+Win+Shift+B from the keyboard. That restarts the graphics driver and gets the screen to work again. This is the most acceptable workaround I found as changing the windows/bios power options didn't do the trick in my case.

Highlighted
Beginner

Same problem! I thought it was in sleep, but anyway... I still have to hard reboot my NUC! It is awful!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I too am having this issues. Dual monitors on a USB C to display port splitter. When the computer goes to sleep one of the two monitors is always screwed up. Unplug and re-plug in the USB C or restart the graphics driver and everything comes back to working. It's extremely annoying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I have recently bought a NUC815BEH, and the problem continues. Really Intel, this is pathetic!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Doesn't work for me - lights flicker, so something is happening, but still black.

0 Kudos