cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NMcCl2
Beginner

NUC7i7BNH won't sleep, only restart, and Optane issues

evening all,

I have a NUC7i7BNH running Win10, fully patched with latest Intel drivers and Windows updates, but ever since I've had it, the unit won't sleep, it will only power off or restart when it reaches a low power state.

Curiously, it will go to sleep if I'm charging something (iPad, headphones etc), but I'm assuming that with the charging it's maintaining a certain power level, so it's performing it's sleep correctly. I've tried recommended power settings in BIOS and OS but no joy.

I've also got an Optane card that isn't recognised in the OS. I've got RST turned on in BIOS (but it shows nothing in M2), and if I have it set to AHCI, then M2 shows up with the Optane card. Windows calls it an Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST premium controller in Device Manager, but nothing in Disk Mgmt and the Optane Memory app says there's nothing installed. Have tried reseating the card several times without success.

Happy to provide any and all info to get to the bottom of this.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would very much appreciate it.

Cheers,

Nevin

0 Kudos
16 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you provide me with pictures of the power set up that you have on the BIOS and also, pictures of the devices (all tabs) set up also on BIOS?

Could you provide me with pictures of the power options set that you have on OS?

What are the model and part number of the Optane memory?

I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.
Regards,

Leonardo C.

NMcCl2
Beginner

Thanks for the prompt response Leonardo.

I've attached all the requested files. Don't have a screwdriver with me atm so can't get the Optane model number. The sleep issue is more important for me anyway.

Regards,

Nevin

NMcCl2
Beginner

and 2 more

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

Thank you for your response.

Could you verify for me which USB port make the system go to a sleep state blue ports or yellow ports?

Could you try to complete BIOS update to the 0064?

Downloads for the BIOS:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27843/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27843/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A-?product=95065

Methods to complete BIOS update:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005636/mini-pcs.html

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NMcCl2
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

The yellow port. The blue one it still reboots even with the same device charging.

I've updated the BIOS to 0064. I'll see what happens tonight.

Thanks,

Nevin

NMcCl2
Beginner

unfortunately still restarts rather than sleeping after installing 0064 BIOS.

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

I would like to verify with you if in the BIOS the system is configured in RAID mode, and if you have any raid built on the NUC? This is in case we have to try to load default BIOS settings.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NMcCl2
Beginner

the startup is in RST mode, as opposed the the other AHCI & RAID options.

I have reverted to default BIOS a few times with no success. Happy to do it again though if you like?

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

Allow me to share with you that I have used the configuration that you provided on he provided on the pictures and I did not face the issue that you are having, is there a possibility for you to test a Windows® 10 clean installation on the unit.

PS. Prior to complete this process please make a back up of your information.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NMcCl2
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

The OS was only installed about 4 weeks ago so a bit dubious as to that being the issue.

I'm not surprised you can't replicate it:

Standard Win10 install, latest patches

Default BIOS settings

Latest Intel drivers

It would seem like the setup that pretty much everyone with the same box would have! The fact that it works as designed when charging a device would seem to point to a voltage issue so hardware related? Nothing came up with the SSU scan? Is there any other hardware checks i could run?

have attached an interesting event log error.

Nevin

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

The SSU report was requested in order to have full information of the hardware/software configuration that you are running on the unit, given all the process that we have gone through seems that we could proceed with a warranty process for the unit, I have sent you a private message to request contact information, please review your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

DPers1
New Contributor III

I had the same issue on my NUC7i5BNHXF the display would go to sleep but when it was time for the PC to sleep it would wake up instead.

Tried all kinds of power options Bios and you have it.

Today I reset all power options and Bios(0065 latest) and still no luck. I suspected that it was something with windows insider builds but looking at available info there was no apparent sleep issues.

As a last test I decided to disable Optane Memory Reboot, download latest software again and re-install. I selected the repair option on re-install.

Now It Works!! Screen sleeps after 3 minutes and PC after 5.........

NMcCl2
Beginner

It's fixed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

although I had to remove the Optane card to make it work....Have attached a photo of the card...it has "Engineering samples only" on it?

I bought the whole unit second hand and it came with the card so unsure of the origins.

Thanks for all your help Leonardo..... and Thaidroid for getting me thinking about the Optane card.

I assume the samples card is an unsupported device anyway?

Nevin

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

I am really glad to hear that the unit is working properly. Allow me to share with you that regarding the engineering sample Optane™ memory is built for testing purposes only, in this case, there is no warranty nor support to the unit, I have sent you a private message to collect more information about the Optane™ memory.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

idata
Community Manager

Hello nevinm

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

NMcCl2
Beginner

Hi Leonardo,

No all fixed so no extra help required. Thanks so much for your assistance.

Regards,

Nevin