Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MFoo
Novice

NUC7i7BNK not powered on after connecting with external power supply

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am trying to use an external power supply to power up the computer instead of the original adapter. I have set the voltage to 15V and limit the current to 1.5A. However, it was not successful.

I tried to power it up with the original adapter but it does not work anymore. The red LED on the power button and the yellow LED beside the front panel header are on when the power jack is connected. Nothing happens when the power button is pressed. I measured the voltage across Pin 8 and 9 on the header but there is no voltage difference.

Does it mean that some fuse is blown on the circuit? Where can I identify it? Is this recoverable? Thank you for the suggestions in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MFoo
Novice

Just to update for those who may have the same problem: I have somehow solved the problem by changing the BIOS setting as highlighted in the picture below (from 40 to 10).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello mjfoo21,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

I can see that you are currently experiencing problems with the power adapter.

I would like to begin by requesting some pictures of the power adapter, if you can add pictures of the adapter with these LEDs on would be good. Also, I would like to know if you have tried to connect the original power adapter to a different power outlet perhaps, just to make sure and see if it is indeed a problem with the adapter.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MFoo
Novice

Hello David,

I am using a power supply like this to power up the NUC. It is connected to a power jack to be plugged into the computer:

This is the picture of the NUC when using with the original adapter, there is a yellow light beside the front panel header:

Yes I have tried using different power outlets. The red LED on the power button remains on but there is no reaction when the button is pressed.

idata
Community Manager

Hello mjfoo21,

Thank you for your response.

In this case I was checking and I can see that it is not the original power adapter for the NUC. Please try connecting the original adapter to a different power outlet, that power supply is not tested by us so I cannot guarantee if it will work or not.

You can have a look at the tested peripherals for the NUC7I7BNH(K) and you can refer to it to find a compatible adapter if it is not working; however, it is important to first try the original one on different outlets, directly connected to the wall.

http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... Tested peripherals

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
MFoo
Novice

Hello David,

Perhaps I was not being clear. I will restate what I am trying to do and what I have attempted:

1. I have been using the original adapter for the NUC. It has no issue so far.
  2. My project requires me to use the computer in a portable manner, hence I am trying to power the NUC using an isolated power source (e.g. a battery). As I have understood that the NUC accepts DC power at 12 - 19V, I believe this is possible.
  3. To test the scenario, I am using a power supply source which provides DC voltage (I set it to 15V). I limited the current to 1.5A. I have found a power jack that fits into the NUC for power transmission from the power supply source. However, this does not work; the NUC does not turn on while the red LED at the power button remains on all the time the power is supplied.
  4. Hence, I reverted back to the ORIGINAL Intel adapter but the NUC does not switch on anymore. The red LED and the on-board yellow LED are still on whenever the power is supplied through the ORIGINAL adapter.
  5. Switching to a different wall outlets with the ORIGINAL adapter does not help.

I would like to know if the NUC is now dead or if it is recoverable and, also, if what I have attempted in Point 3 is okay if I want to power the NUC without using any wall outlets. Otherwise, what do you suggest if I want to run the NUC remotely with a battery or other isolated power source?

Hope it clarifies.

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. Please try to power ON your NUC in minimal hardware configuration. Leave only one memory stick at time. Check each memory stick in upper and in bottom slot. Remove the SSD. With SODIMM only (without SSD), the NUC shall show the Intel logo and the F2,F7,F10 menu. You should be able to boot into Bios by pressing F2.

2. On the attached to your post image, it looks that the screw holding the SSD is smashed. Is it? What happened?

Leon

MFoo
Novice

Hello Leon,

1. Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried that but to no avail. The computer does not even turn on.
  2. The screw is fine, perhaps the image is just blur.

I cleared the CMOS as suggested in the Step 1 of /thread/122135 this post and the computer just runs again. Perhaps an Intel personnel can clarify why is it so?

I tested with the power supply again (this time with voltage 19 V and current limit 3A). It successfully switched on until GRUB and turned off. The CC light on the PSU flashed when this happened, indicating there was a current spike (possibly due to insufficient current or sudden short circuit in the NUC). As the original adapter runs at 19V and 3.43A, I believe that it is unlikely that the PSU was not supplying enough power.

Now that the NUC is recovered, only one question remains: if I am to run the NUC on external power source, is there any suggestion or precaution on what should be done?

MFoo
Novice

Just to update for those who may have the same problem: I have somehow solved the problem by changing the BIOS setting as highlighted in the picture below (from 40 to 10).

View solution in original post