Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savarin
Novice

NUC7i7BNKQ - 4K @ 30p Hz

Monitor https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/samsung-uhd-28-monitor-with-high-glossy-b... Samsung UE590 UHD (4K) 28", using the supplied HDMI cable.

Configuring the display to 3840 x 2160 resolution is only possible at 30p Hz,

To have a 60p Hz Refresh Rate, only reducing the resolution to 2560 x 1440.

All drivers are updated.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Having never checked this, I switched over to my NUC7i7BNKQ and found that it was running only 4K@30Hz. Within the Intel Graphics Settings applet, however, I found that all I had to do was change the refresh rate from 30Hz to 60Hz and away it went, full 4K@60Hz. I am using Samsung UN40MU6290 as my monitor. I next looked at the Intel HD Graphics driver and found it was only running driver version 23.20.16.4901. I forced it to update through Windows Update and it installed version 23.20.16.4944. It consistently ran at 4K@60Hz across the subsequent reboots.I am seeing no issues.

One thing I did was purchase really good quality HDMI 2.0a cables. I think it likely that the cable that you are using is the problem.

Hope this helps,

...S

Savarin
Novice

Hi Scott,

I do use Intel Graphics Settings applet. When choosing 3840 x 2160 resolution, the Refresh Rate goes up to 30p Hz only. No other option.

It's Information Center shows the Driver Version is 23.20.16.4901. Using Device Manager > Update Driver, I downloaded 'Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650' driver 23.20.16.4944. But no change on the Refresh Rate.

I'm using the HDMI cable Samsung provided (I assume it is 2.0)

But reviewing the monitor's official page (linked), on the top right corner it says: 4K, 3840 X 2160 Resolution (UHD), 60Hz (DP). Meaning 60Hz is only supported through Display Port. Damn! I didn't expect that! Bummer...

n_scott_pearson

So purchase a USB-C-to-DP cable or adapter. You can get 4K@60Hz then.

While I don't recommend it (unless you can verify whether it works before purchasing), you might be able to get a HDMI-to-DP adapter or cable that might work as well. This would leave the USB-C/TBT connector available for other purposes, but, well, note that I said 'might work'. You already have an internal IC that is converting from DP to HDMI; adding a cable that then takes you back from HDMI to DP might be problematic (but I haven't tried it, so I don't know - and am wary)...

Hope this helps,

...S

威王4
New Contributor I

hi savarin

there is a soft switch for HDMI input mode in my monitor. the default HDMI input mode was setup to 1.4, that is only 4k30hz mode. atfer i setup it to 2.0, it work on 4k60hz.

may be you can check it if there is similar switch.

Savarin
Novice

Hi WW6302

The Samsung 28" UE590 UHD Monitor's setup only have Display Port versions 1.1 or 1.2, but no HDMI configuration.

威王4
New Contributor I

i checked your monitor user manual and found there are two HDMI iuput port but only port HDMI 2 can support 4k 60Hz.

Savarin
Novice

YEAH, WW6302! That did it!

RTFM always! Thanks: now running 4K @ 60p Hz.

[HDMI port 2 supporting 4K 60Hz is quite counter-intuitive...]

n_scott_pearson

That's great Tom, you are all set!

Yes, it seems odd that the better input is HDMI2. It is HDMI1 on both of my Samsung 4K TVs.

For later, keep this thought in the back of your mind: with the appropriate USB-C adapter, you could be running two 4K monitors at 60Hz!

...S

Savarin
Novice

Hi Scott!

I know*, and looking forward to it.

There are so many reported issues regarding cable/adapters Thunderbolt (USB Type-C) to Display Port, I referred to this page -- http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC... Intel Product Compatibility Tool > Adapters and Dongles -- to order a VisionTek USB Type-C to DisplayPort adapter. Not arrived yet (I live in Brazil)

*this was one of the reasons I bought this NUC (check my https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1391883-REG/intel_boxnuc7i7bnkq_nuc7i7bnkq_kit_enthusiast.htm... review at B&H)

n_scott_pearson

I will say two things:

1. If you want to connect two monitors to the USB-C/TBT port, you must either use two daisy-chained DisplayPort monitors or a MST Hub. Other solutions will not work. Further, if you connect two monitors, they share the bandwidth of a single DisplayPort channel. This means that you can only achieve 4K@30Hz on each monitor (not 4K@60Hz!).
  2. When it comes to cables, adapters and dongles, remember the rule: You get what you pay for. Don't expect quality from a cheaply-priced product.

...S

Savarin
Novice

But I gather I'll have 4K @ 60p Hz with two monitors:

- Monitor 1: HDMI to HDMI

- Monitor 2: Thunderbolt (USB Type-C) to Display Port

Only if plugging two monitors (to a total of three monitors: one HDMI and two Thunderbolt) to the Thunderbolt port (with adapters), the refresh rate of both drops to 30Hz, although 4K in all (the one connected with HDMI I suppose it keeps 60Hz).

Correct?

n_scott_pearson

Correct.

• The monitor plugged into the HDMI port will continue to run at 4K@60Hz regardless of what is connected to the USB-C/TBT port.
  • A single monitor connected to the USB-C/TBT port will also be capable of running at 4K@60Hz.
  • It is only when you connect two monitors to the USB-C/TBT connector (via daisy-chain or MST Hub) that the capability (for each) drops to 4K@30Hz.

...S

P.S. For others reading this, let's complete the scenarios. My understanding is that three DP 1.2 monitors can be daisy-chained to the USB-C/TBT port. In this case, even though the three monitors share the bandwidth of a single DP channel, this means that each is capable of running 2K@60Hz. While I have never seen one in action, I believe that the same can be accomplished with a 3-port MST Hub.