Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savarin
Novice

NUC7i7BNKQ - Overworking, overheating, shutting down

For many weeks, when idle at night, running only the screen-saver 'Text 3D Clock' (in the bedroom, the computer is my table clock), I heard the fan spinning like hell. (I read the latest Win10 Update had some overworking issues, could be that)

Also using the computer, I was unable to run some features (like 3D GoogleMaps, or windy.com): overheating and shutting down.

Now I guess the fan stopped working at all (I no longer hear it), and the NUC always overheats. And I have to keep it 'sleeping' when not using. And carefully using for a few minutes.

Opening the NUC, removing the lid, I was unable to access the fan (I could not locate any screws to do so, from the top or the bottom).

As a rigged-solution, I'm considering an external USB-fan at the back, funneling the air-blow at the intake, since several 'Laptop Heat Extractors' are not compatible. Is it a good idea?

Any ideas?

If the external fan is feasible, could you please identify the back vents: which one is the 'air intake' and wich is the 'air output', left or right?

I now keep HWINFO64's sensors running to monitor the temperatures. See image just before shutdown.

NUC7k7BNKQ_OverHEATING.jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I'll will start with undusting the cooling blower. Yes, in order to do this you should remove the board. I can see that you are using HWiNFO64 utility to monitor the temperatures. In the same table you may see also the cooling blower RPM.
  2. This video will show you how to remove the board in your NUC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzHzu475y8U
  3. Use air duster to clean the blower.

Leon

Savarin
Novice

Cheers, Leon,

Tks for your prompt response (I was away) . That video-tutorial is precious (but I don't think I have the skills to pry it open like that: I fear forgetting to re-connect some cable)

If I do: If the cooler is busted, where to purchase the spare part?

I'm really considering an external USB-Fan, like this one: Volador USB Portable Fan, with a funnel channeling the air into the back intake air-vent (left or right?)

Yup: here's HWINFO64's fan-info. Even tough it shows kRPMs, I don't hear (or feel) the parts moving (could the MWIN's sensor mistakenly reports RPM, when there's none?)

Tks again

Savarin

CPU fan.jpg

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You are saying that you are using this NUC in your bedroom. So, it should be quiet. You should be able to hear the blower while is rotating over 4400RPM. This is about 80% of the blower maximum RPM. For the temperatures show on the image 56Deg C, I would expect the blower rotating at 2500 - 3000 RPM.
  2. If you are reluctant to disassemble your NUC, try to clean the Thermal Solution, trough the chassis ventilation openings. You may use compressed air duster with a plastic straw.
  3. I suggest also that you set the cooling setting in Bios to defaults and see whats happen. Enter bios settings (press F2 during boot), Then press F9 followed by "Y" and finally F10 confirmed by "Y".
  4. About the replacement blower (although I don't think you need one, since your blower is working), you may found one on net. For example https://www.amazon.com/FidgetFidget-Cooling-BAAA0508R5H-DC5V-Intel/dp/B07N7D87GP/ref=sr_1_1?keywords... or https://www.ebay.com/itm/AVC-Ultra-Thin-5V-DC-55mm-Laptop-Blower-Fan-BAAA0508R5H-AFN160815A-4-Pin/28... (however, please verify that you have the same installed).

Leon

Savarin
Novice

Tks again, Leon

Will do, from outside. (BTW: it is a bad design from Intel not being able to open this metal 'hood' from the top, just to access and clean the blower; since cleaning this element is a quite trivial and straightforward maintenance job)

. . .

The baffling thing is I can use the computer for light jobs, keeping an eye on HWINFO's temperature sensors.

But, as soon as the computer is idle, and the 3D Text/Clock Screen-Saver kicks in, the computer overheats and shuts down. What could possibly causes it? The moment I activate the computer, and open Task Manager, it only shows the current processes and nothing unusual there. How to check what process causes the overheating when idle?

I no longer can keep the computer on all day long, as before.

LeonWaksman
Super User

There is not such think like idle in Windows 10. However I'll will start from disabling the 3D Text/Clock Screen-Saver. Yes, I agree with you, this is bad mechanical design that you can easy reach/replace blower or CMOS battery.

Leon

Savarin
Novice

I know: I should have used single quotation-marks in 'idle'...😉, meaning 'when I'm not using it' 😊

I have this NUC since Mar/2018, running as stated (screen-saver as my bedroom clock), google 3D Maps, and never had this problem before. During all this period, also never heard the blower like that at night. And never overheated. Even during summer (Southern Hemisphere, it is Winter now)

Yup: bad industrial design...

Savarin
Novice

Volador USB-fan.jpgThe overheating/shutdown problem was addressed using this rig, after removing the plastic top cover 😀