Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

NUC7i7DNB surround sound problem

Hello! I have searched high and low, but nothing has helped. I just bought a NUC7I7DNB for my home Cinema. The problem is that the surround sound option dosent work. It seems to only output stereo. I have updated everything, but i have still the problem. 

Earlier i used a Asrock HTPC, and that worked on my setup (5.1.2 Atmos). When i switch between the NUC and the Asrock (using the same HDMI cable), surround sound is outputed on the Asrock, but no surround for the NUC.

When i choose "dolby atmos" in configuration, there is no sound when i press to test each speaker. If i change to 7.1 there is only sound in the two front speakers, even i i press rear og side speakers.

I am connected to a Yamaha RX-A3080.

Regards

Fritz Arne

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Using business-class model as HTPC? Hhmmmm...

We need more information about your setup. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

Which output are you plugging the receiver into? What TV is behind the receiver?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

What did you say? A bussiness-class model? 

I have completed a scan, and uploaded the file. Hope this helps

Fritz Arne

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, this is the vPro board, with AMT-based remote manageability support, TPM, etc. You typically wouldn't require these features in a HTPC setup, but having them there doesn't limit you (and I guess it's appropriate that you are using Windows 10 Enterprise).

In a HTPC design, you might output audio via TOSlink to a receiver or sound bar (via an included sound device - which your board doesn't have), but these days it is more-typical to be sending digital audio to a receiver via HDMI and this board is as capable of supporting this as is a board designed specifically for HTPC usage.

I can't see any information in their scans that would tell us anything about what is going on for audio. I am going to move my DN NUC from my business-model testing setup to my HT test environment. I will let you know tomorrow what I am able to achieve.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Fantastic!
Hoping for a solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Thorvaldtaake,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Should you have additional questions, please let us know.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello

Some more assistance would be great yes Still no surround sound, and I am thinking of selling the NUC A solution would have been great!

Regards 

Fritz Arne 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

So, I moved my DN NUC to my HT setup - which has, amongst other things, an Onkyo TX-NR575 Receiver and a Samsung UN40KU6290 4K TV. Connection is standard PC <--> Receiver <--> TV.

Aside: When I powered on, I immediately began fighting with the Receiver randomly disconnecting and reconnecting (what people have described as the 'flickering' or 'flashing blank screen' issue). I updated firmware (found I hadn't done it for aux HDMI connector). I tried every driver version from 8141 through the latest 8561 Beta, but none eliminated this issue. I finally had to configure for 4K@30Hz to get it to calm down and let me go on with my check out of audio. None of the other NUCs I have tested here have had this issue. Even the 6th gen SY NUC with DP-to-HDMI adapter supports 4K@60Hz  without issue.

So, back to audio (almost an afterthought, considering that I have been working on this for 3 hours now). The PC booted up with me hearing any sound. I clicked on the sound icon only to find that it had selected my USB Audio Capture device as the default output - which was a good trick considering it is an input-only device! Anyway, when I selected AV Receiver as the output, it immediately recognized the Receiver's support for 7.2 audio. I was able to configure for and test my 5.1 speaker configuration without issue. It tested all 5 speakers and the subwoofer individually and I can distinctly hear which speaker is producing the sound.

Bottom line, multi-channel audio is working for me just fine.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

First of all: Thank you for trying to help me!!

My AV reciever isnt possible to choose as a default output. It only gives me the oportunity to choose my projector, Epson, as my output. 

I can also choose 7.1 in the settings, but when i test it, output sound is only in the two front speakers and the sub. Should i resett the NUC and start from scratch again? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I am not an expert here, but let's go by my understanding of how this works...

Your Receiver is supposed to be intercepting the signal from the selected output device and presenting itself to the PC listing its own audio capabilities (i.e. 7.1) along with the selected output device's video capabilities. Your Receiver is not doing this. It is simply supporting pass-thru, passing along the complete audio and video signal from the selected output device. The NUC is then doing exactly what it is supposed to do; it sees a device and supports its audio and video capabilities. It is not going to support any capabilities beyond what it is being told is supported by the output device. Since it is seeing the Projector, it is supporting the capabilities of this projector, which obviously include only a stereo capability.

Bottom line, based upon my understanding of how things should work, the NUC is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. In my configuration, it is working exactly as I expected it to work. 

So, what are the possibilities for what's wrong? Could there be bugs in the Receiver's firmware? You do check regularly for updates, right? Misconfiguration of the Receiver (i.e. it's been explicitly configured for raw pass-thru)? NUC is connected to incorrect Receiver input? Something else? I am totally out to lunch? There's an alternate method of operation I don't know about?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes i have updated the reciever, but i am thinking og resetting the nuc and giving it a clean install. What do you think about that?

Fritz Arne
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Thorvaldtaake,

We would like to check this behavior further since surround sound is working on n_scott_pearson's setup (thank you for testing this from your side @n_scott_pearson), but you are still getting stereo sound. Could you please provide the following information?

1- Detailed information on how all the devices are connected, please make sure to include the type of cables and the type of port/connectors used in both devices when describing connectivity one-to-one, for instance:

• NUC < -- > Receiver, cables and ports:
  • Receiver < -- > Speakers, cables and ports:
  • Receiver < -- > Projector, cables and ports:

2- Are there any other devices connected either to the Intel® NUC or to the receiver? Please provide details:

3- Details about the application(s) you are using to test/play audio. Please also describe the specific settings you have (you may provide screenshots).

4- Brand and exact model of the display/projector:

5- Brand and model of the speakers:

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello Thorvaldtaake,

We are checking this thread and since we have not heard back from you we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos