cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JE_
Novice

NUC7i7DNHE how to get it more silent?

Jump to solution

hi, in bios i chosed quiet-option. But nothing really changed. The cpu-temp is 30 degree Celsius. I can hear the NUC easily from 7meter. It´s not so loud at on the first seconds of starting, but it sucks a little bit.

There is an option fanless. It´s set at 10 degree Celsius. So the cooler stops at this temperature. But this temperature will never reached. So i have 30 degree Celsius with the cooler running.

Is there anything that i can try without letting the NUC die a lot sooner?

thank you very much!

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I find that Intel's default settings are absolute rubbish. If you are not going to use the fan-off features, lower the minimum fan duty cycle down to 20% for both the primary and secondary temperature responses. If you want to use the fan-off feature, change the on duty cycle to be something reasonable, like 48-50 degrees. In this case, however, I recommend not setting the minimum fan duty cycle for both the primary and secondary temperatures to anything lower than 25% (this is to prevent fan stalls).

Here are my recommended settings for the parameter set:

The final Duty Cycle Increment parameter, which cannot be seen in this snapshot, should be set to 4.

Give these a try and see if they are more to your liking...

...S

View solution in original post

10 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello o0Julia0o,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

First, it is recommended to have your system up to date. Please scan it using the Intel® System Support Utility. Follow the steps below:

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please provide the BIOS version installed in your unit.

Wanner G.
n_scott_pearson

I find that Intel's default settings are absolute rubbish. If you are not going to use the fan-off features, lower the minimum fan duty cycle down to 20% for both the primary and secondary temperature responses. If you want to use the fan-off feature, change the on duty cycle to be something reasonable, like 48-50 degrees. In this case, however, I recommend not setting the minimum fan duty cycle for both the primary and secondary temperatures to anything lower than 25% (this is to prevent fan stalls).

Here are my recommended settings for the parameter set:

The final Duty Cycle Increment parameter, which cannot be seen in this snapshot, should be set to 4.

Give these a try and see if they are more to your liking...

...S

View solution in original post

JE_
Novice

thank you, it´s way better now! Sometimes, if only the browser is opended - the fan is going up for long time very loudly. Not stopping after 2 minutes.

Can i open the top-case, to look at the fan? There are no scrwes on the top - so i don´t know how.

BBear
Beginner

This is why I get the i5 version instead of the i7.

n_scott_pearson

J.E.,

Be careful throughout this process; if something doesn't want to move, there is likely a reason why...

Once you remove the bottom panel and, if you have the "H" chassis, the 2.5" SATA drive bay, you should be able to slide the outer cover up and off the rest of the unit. Next, if you have one installed, you need to remove your M.2 SSD or Optane module. Now, you should see two small screws that hold the board into the remainder of the chassis (they will be to the left and right of the "front" edge of the board). Remove these two screws and disconnect the antenna leads and you should be able to tilt up and remove the board from the chassis. The cooling solution is mounted to the opposite (top) side of the board.

Putting it back together is the same process in reverse. Don't forget to reconnect the antenna leads. Also, if you have the "H" chassis, don't forget to connect the two cables for the SATA drive bay.

Hope this helps,

...S

JE_
Novice

o.k., thank you. I thought it would be more easy to open the top. So it´s hard to clean the fans.

i5 vs. i7 -> isn´t it so, that the i7 stays cooler for the same performance than the i5?

JE_
Novice

Is 48 Celsius the maximum temperature for a long cpu life? Or what is the limit?

idata
Community Manager

Hello o0Julia0o,

I would like to add that 48 celsius is within specifications.That temperature should not impact the performance of your unit negatively.

If we take into account the temperature of the processor of your unit, you unit should be up and running.

https://ark.intel.com/products/124968/Intel-Core-i7-8650U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Wanner G.

JE_
Novice

thank you, i don´t find there anything about 48 °C.

I find: TJUNCTION 100°C. But the temperature is read out before the die, i think. So what is the max temperature that i can set there without loosing to much cpu-life-time?

n_scott_pearson

Are you asking what's the highest temperature that you could set below which the fan will be turned off? I would not set it much higher than this. First of all, doing so could result in the fan oscillating off and on very rapidly (producing worse acoustics overall) as the processor is presented with more and less work and heats up and cools down. Secondly, higher temperatures than this definitely need the fan running. Remember that the fan is also providing the airflow that is used to cool other components on the board and in the system - including the voltage regulation components, which will heat up as the processor is made busier and more power is required. If these components continue to heat up with no airflow, their lifetime will be adversely affected.

...S