Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11286 Discussions

NUC7ixxx - behavior of yellow USB port

GGrov
Novice

Hi

We're having relatable problems with connections to the Yellow/Power USB3, that are not true for the "normal" USB3.

Is it possible to set the "yellow" to work like a "normal" USB3 port through the Blue port

The answer is not simply "use the blue port" for our application.

Thanks

Gunleik

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GGrov
Novice

that is "repeatable"... Though I hope that is somehow "relatable".

Gunleik

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The "yellow" post is a USB 3.0 charging port. From the standpoint of the USB functionality, it is identical to all other USB 3.0 ports. The only difference is that the port is supplying 1500mA of power instead of 900mA. What specifically is the issue that you are seeing?

...S

GGrov
Novice

What we see on this port is random disconnection on several units (We have 40+ NUCs in similar setups), that does not have the same behavior on the "regular" ports.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Gunleik_Groven,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the questions that you have about the behavior of the yellow USB port on your Intel ® NUC; it will be more than pleasure to provide you with assistance on this matter.

In order for me to assist you better, please provide me with the .txt file that the System Support Utility will generate. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

As well can you please provide a longer/more detailed description of your issue?

What is the behavior of the port and what is the reason for you to contact us?

Best Regards,

Diego S.

Leon_Merts
New Contributor II

Hi Gunleik_Groven,

Go into the bios (F2), then click on Advanced -> Devices -> USB Tab and change: Portable Device Charging Mode to OFF. Now it's a normal USB 3 port.

Regards,

Leon Merts

GGrov
Novice

Thanks. I think this setting might not be consistently set on all our NUCs.

Will check this

Gunleik