Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
luckman212
Novice

NUC8 BIOS 66 (BE0066.bio) pulled?

Was BE bios 66 pulled? I had downloaded it already to 2 NUC8i5s not really having issues but it makes me nervous that they seem to have rolled all the way back to 0051 on the NUC8 download page:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/126148

Intel -any comments??

Here's what DSA shows:

bios.png

0 Kudos
12 Replies
luckman212
Novice

Can someone from Intel please comment as to why this was removed? I have a bunch of Nuc8's that were upgraded to 66. Should I try to downgrade them? I want to make sure it's nothing serious...

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello luckman212, Thank you for your feedback. It is highly appreciated. We are aware of this issue where BIOS firmware 0066 is available through Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) but not through the Download Center. Although no issues have been reported regarding this BIOS update, we are currently doing research to provide accurate information about this concern. As soon as we have any update about this, we will post it here. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
AWERN4
Novice

This is not true. It was in the Download Center for downloading.

I have two variants of BIOS firmware 0066 downloaded and still on my drive: BECFL357.86A.0066.BI.zip and BE0066.bio.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28638/eng/BECFL357.86A.0066.BI.zip

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/28638/eng/BE0066.bio

And now these were removed from Intel Download Center.

Me too I would like to know the reasons. I have a NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH. What to do if this BIOS update was flashed/applied to?

luckman212
Novice

The answer you gave does not make sense, sorry.

BIOS 66 is neither available via DSA nor via Download Center. It has been completely removed.

My question is about why it was removed. Please do let us know why it was pulled so we can decide if we need to downgrade our systems.

SithTracy
Beginner

I, too, am curios as to why it was removed. Wondering if there is some flaw or back door issue. I upgraded two NUCs with 0066 a few weeks back. Not sure I can roll back to 0051 or not (or if I should attempt it).

SChau10
New Contributor II

It appears that Intel has pulled 3 Bean Canyon BIOS releases: 0066, 0064 & 0056 from their download site, so BIOS 0051 currently shows up at the latest.

I too would like to know the reason, and also whether another BIOS release for Bean Canyon is imminent.

Well reading some older topics on this board and an issue I faced myself after updating the BIOS to versions later than 0051 (0064 and 0066), I'm not sure if they are related. To the poster one above, yes you can actually roll back to 0051 using the recovery method (requires some jumper removal on the NUC).

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi everyone, Yes, you are correct. We removed BIOS ver 0056 or earlier so BIOS ver 0051 is currently the latest revision available. We discovered a potential issue related to the set up of a password on NVME SSDs affecting NUC8ixBE, if your system is working as expected even if running a BIOS version earlier than ver 0056 then you are not affected by this issue. We are working on getting a newer BIOS version available soon. Please keep an eye on Intel Download Center. Thanks, Ronny G
luckman212
Novice

Ok Ronny

Thank you for replying. So just to be clear: if we are not setting a password on internal NVMe SSD, then there is no need to change BIOS back to 0051? (I have 0066 installed currently on many systems).

Ronny_G_Intel

That is correct, stay away from setting up passwords on the NVMe SSDs for the moment while we get the new BIOS version out. If you dont do this you should be fine on BIOS ver 0066. Thanks, Ronny G
SithTracy
Beginner

Thank you for the clarification, Ronny.

Ronny_G_Intel

Just to avoid any confusion with what I said before: "if running a BIOS version earlier than ver 0056" my intention is to communicate that we removed BIOS ver 0056, 0064 and 0066 so BIOS ver 0051 is the latest one we have available for now.