Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12530 Discussions

NUC8 boot problems and sudden freezes

ErikZ
Beginner

One of my NUCs , a NUC8i7BEH, is giving problems since it got repaired / replaced after its predecessor suddenly stopped with a dry click back in October.

I think the motherboard got replaced, as the production date is newer than the one I returned. Also the BIOS was than the old one, 0087 in stead of 0073.

I searched and asked for help on the Linux Mint forum and I was advised to update the kernel and install the latest BIOS 0089. So I upgraded from Mint 19 to Mint 20, I actually did a fresh install and I updated the BIOS.

The number of error messages in the system journal got less, but I still have problems, more or less random one of the following occurs.

• system keeps hanging in the boot process, but without any logging in the journal.
  • system boots but the screen remains black, which I sometimes can repair by unpowering the monitor and repowering it.
  • system hangs when on screen saver; you can detect by the clock not being updated.
  • system no longer reacting to mouse or keyboard. Sometimes the led in the mouse is off, sometimes it is still on. Unplugging mouse and keyboard and trying an other usb port does not have any impact. In this situation a log off menu appears on the screen when I press the power button on the NUC. So the system is still up, but not listening to the mouse and keyboard.

I would like to find out if this is a hardware fault and get service from Intel. Or is it a software problem and learn how do I fix it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
Hi Erik,
I'm sorry too. I'm writing this post from my mobile and therefore it is difficult to give you a link to the Intel Customer service. Anyway it is better to return this NUC to the reseller
Regards
Leon

View solution in original post

13 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @ErikZ 

Your NUC was validated by Intel to work with Windows 11 and Windows 10. Intel didn't validated it to work with  Linux Mint and did not released any drivers for Linux OS. So, in order to find if you have a hardware problem, install Windows O.S. (you even don't need to activate it for the test), install all the drivers (start with the Chipset Device Software) from the Intel Download Site and see how it is working.

Once, you find that NUC is working as expected with Windows, you should address your question to the Linux Mint forum.

Leon

ErikZ
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thank you for your quick respons.

To be sure to understand your advice: you suggest me to download Windows10 or 11, install it, but not activating it. Then install the chipset device software. Does this installation process itself provide diagnostic information and be able to reveal a problem in the hardware if there would be one?

I had hoped there would be a simpler means of diagnostics. 
Is not it possible to e.g. extract information from the mangement engine without installing another OS?

I remember having read somewhere about a diagnostic program.

Kind regards,
Erik

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Eric,

As you have mentioned in the first post, you are not sure if the replacement NUC has some hardware problem or the problem is caused by software installation. The problem may be caused also by memory (but usually it will be crash, rather than hang) or by drive. The memory may be tested using MemTest86 utility.  The SSD drive may be checked using SSD OEM relevant utility.
Since the Linux wasn't validated by Intel and so the Linux drivers for NUC8i7BEH, I've suggested to install validated O.S. and validated drivers. Since you are not planning to use Windows, you may download and install Windows without buying the license (just for this test).  To have your system working as intended, you need to download and install the Intel Drivers as well. You need to install different drivers( i.e. Chipset, Management Engine, Graphics, Thunderbolt, Serial,...etc). You may want also to update the HDMI firmware using HDMI Firmware update Tool. If you are using the Thunderbolt connection, update the Thunderbolt firmware as well.  The first driver to be installed should be the Chipset Driver and the NUC should be rebooted. The sequence of installation of the other drivers is not important and NUC can be rebooted when the last driver was installed.  If after this installation your NUC works well, means that the problem is not caused by hardware. If still NUC hangs, in order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan (check "Everything") and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

Using Google you may find recommendation for different diagnostic programs running in Windows. You may analyze the Windows System Log, where different errors are recorded. 

Hope this helps

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

One thing more. Please find the list of Diagnostic and Performance Tools for the Intel® NUC

Leon

ErikZ
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thank you for your recommendations. Following them up will require some study and preparation.

As for now there is one thing you may be able to comment on.

I installed a utility Psensor to have a look a the temperatures in the NUC and I found that one sensor is consistently at -263 C.

Its descrption says "lmsensor acpitz-acpi-0 temp1". Does this indicate something broken? The others seem to behave within acceptable ranges.

Kind regards, Erik

Psensor temperature readingsPsensor temperature readingstemp1 at -263 Ctemp1 at -263 C

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Erik,

I'm not familiar with the Psensor utility and I don't know what  "lmsensor acpitz-acpi-0 temp1" indicates either. Any way, it is clear that this sensor is not working/connected.  To check if the temperature sensors on your NUC are working (including the Processor temperature), enter BIOS and open the Advanced > Cooling Tab. You will be able to see the temperatures, monitored by different sensors.

Leon

ErikZ
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Following up on your advice, I have:

• Installed W10
  • updated drivers via Intel DSA
    • 2 updates installed
  • ran IPDT
    • no problems found
    • I have a test results file attached
  • ran SSU
    • I have a report file attached
  • ran memtest86
    • no errors reported
    • I have a report attached
  • the sensor information in Virtual Bios is OK and another NUC without problems has the same 'virtual' sensor at -263C in Psensor. So I do not consider this to be a real problem.

However, the system still halts, on Windows 10 as well: see picture taken from the screen.

Earlier, directly after I received the NUC back from repair, I already swapped the SSD's with another NUC, but the problems stick to the particular NUC that I got back from repair. So it is not the SSD's nor the memory.

What do you make of this?

Kind regards, Erik

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Erik,

I just want to ensure - did you installed manually the Intel® Chipset Device Software  before using the IDSA? IDSA need the Chipset Software to be installed before first run and only then the latest driver are downloaded. I can see that for example you have installed the Graphics Driver version 27.20.100.8681 while the latest Graphics Driver is version 30.0.101.1191.  But the Graphics driver you have is not causing the crash so, could be that although your NUC was replaced it has a hardware problem.  Any way, is you didn't installed the Chipset Software, please do this and then run the IDSA.

Sometime the replaced NUC is not new unit but repaired one. In this case you should again contact support and you may give a reference to this thread, showing al test performed. Since you did those test with Windows 10, you will not get an answer that Linux is not supported.

Leon

ErikZ
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Thank you for your quick response.

I just installed the Intel Chipset Device Software and then ran IDSA, but it says the drivers are up to date. I attached the report.

Should I manually install 30.0.101.1191?

Kind regards, Erik

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Erik,

This IDSA report is not showing all drivers and is something wrong here. For example in addition to the Intel Graphics Driver, which is not the latest from the Intel Download Center, I can see that the LAN driver is outdated. So, in order to remove any doubts, I suggest that after you have already the Chipset Software installed and rebooted your NUC,  download from the Download Site the following drivers and install them manually: Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) componentsIntel Graphics Driver,  Realtek* driver for the card readerRealtek* High Definition Audio DriverThunderbolt™ bus driverIntel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth, WiFi Driver,  Intel® Serial IO host controller driver , Consumer infrared (CIR) driverIntel® Network Adapters driver. You may reboot only once, after the last driver is installed.

It is worthy to update the HDMI firmware, using the Firmware update tool.

Regards

Leon

ErikZ
Beginner

Hi Leon,

Further to you message I downloaded the array of drivers and the HDMI tool, checked the sha's and installed everything except the CIR as there is no such device on the machine. I did not reboot until everything was installed except for wifi. The wifi driver failed to install the first pass as I chose 'remove' and not 'repair' so as to be sure to get the new driver. But after 'remove' the system had to be rebooted before the installation could be finished.

The Audio installation program started automatically a second  time after reboot. I thought it had to complete something and chose install but after completion it started a 3rd time and I broke off.

I attach a fresh SSU report for you to inspect and let the machine run overnight to see if it crashes.

Regards, Erik

ErikZ
Beginner

Sorry to report that the all the installation work did not result in a stable system.

This morning the system could not be activated, only by hard reset.

Reason told me to expect little, but I had a faint hope after so many updates: to no avail.

So, what is next?

Should I contact Intel support first through this site, or directly contact the reseller?

Regards, Erik

LeonWaksman
Super User
Hi Erik,
I'm sorry too. I'm writing this post from my mobile and therefore it is difficult to give you a link to the Intel Customer service. Anyway it is better to return this NUC to the reseller
Regards
Leon