cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zol
Beginner

NUC8 compatibility with Thunderbolt eGPU

Hi all,

I'd like to know what support an 8th-gen NUC (specifically the NUC8i5BEH) has with external graphics enclosures over Thunderbolt 3, and does the NUC support having graphics output piped from the eGPU back into the NUC, so that the NUC's HDMI out is used?

I know the 7th-gen NUC has some support for the Razer Core, and I'm interested in purchasing the cheaper and newer Razer Core X (https://www.scan.co.uk/products/razer-core-x-thunderbolt3-external-graphics-card-enclosure-rtx-gtx-a...) along with one of the newer non-RTX graphics cards from NVIDIA.

I understand there's some protocol conversion overhead, and that the Hades Canyon NUCs exist, but I'm looking into what options there are for the NUC I have currently.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Zol, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. First, keep in mind that Intel ® has not tested any external GPU with the Intel ® NUC you have mentioned, you can have more information about this in the link below: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Ki... However, keep in mind that, even though it has not been validated, it could work properly. Any support for it would actually have to come from the manufacturer of the external GPU. There are other models of Intel ® NUC that have been validated to work with external GPUs but the specific model you have mentioned has not yet been validated. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Zol
Beginner

Hi David

Thank you for your response. Wish me luck!

I have seen in the linked product details page there are several "Customer Reported" results. Assuming the Razer Core X works with my NUC, what would be involved in submitting such a report?

Many thanks

David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Zol, Thank you for your response. After some time of use, please report back in this thread so that we can have information about the use of the external GPU in the Intel ® NUC, this way other community peers can check this thread and see if the system works fine or not with the GPU as per your feedback, we would appreciate it. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Zol
Beginner

Just wanted to check in and report my findings.

The NUC would occasionally completely freeze if it were idle, even the HDD activity light would stop flashing. This could be at the Windows loading screen, or when browsing something in Chrome, it would just completely stop. It recovered by itself once, but usually I ran out of patience after 10 minutes and had to turn the power off at the wall socket.

The eGPU was never hot-swapped, nor were there power problems with the eGPU PSU, but there were some BIOS settings I had to tweak to get it to work properly. After tweaking these settings (I cannot remember which ones they were) everything performs normally and GPU performance is fine. I have not attempted VR with this setup, but maybe someday!

Thanks,

Zol
Beginner

The latest NUC firmware update brought the eGPU freezing behaviour back, but after freshly installing Windows, scratching my head for 5 hours, and changing the "USB selective suspend setting" under Power Options the behaviour went away.