Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
whiteday75
Novice

NUC8BEB : Does not boot with egpu (using Thunderbolt 3)

model : NUC8BEB

egpu : Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box + GTX1070

Problem : Does not boot with egpu (using Thunderbolt 3 egpu & Not connect HDMI cable) 

Does not boot with egpu (connect only Thunderbolt 3 egpu) after 0083(2020-07-30) version Bios update. -> i can't see NUC Logo

but, No problem if only HDMI cable is connected. (Not connect egpu)

There was no problem in connecting only egpu with [0081]  version Bios.

cab you help me?

ps - how to DownGrade Bios? i want DownGrade  0081 version Bios.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello whiteday75, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".   
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".   
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".   
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. I understand that you are using the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box enclosure, can you include the brand and full model of the graphics card also? Please include a link of the specs if possible. 

3. Additionally, another user has provided a workaround for this behavior that is currently being investigated internally, however; you can try this work around in the meantime and let us know about the outcome: 

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC8i7BEH-BIOS-version-0083-and-eGPU-issues-and-a-workarou... 

Note: In regards to the BIOS downgrade, please check the release notes, due to the Intel® ME firmware update in BIOS version 0083, you can’t downgrade to version 0081 or earlier. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

whiteday75
Novice

thanks. 

thanks for link (https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/NUC8i7BEH-BIOS-version-0083-and-eGPU-issues-and-a-workarou... )

I succeeded in boot.
But the same problem Pavel Pr pointed out occurs.

Thank you very much!

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello whiteday75,  

Thank you for the update. 

I am glad to hear that you are able to boot again, so we can investigate this behavior further, please provide the following: 

1. What do you mean by "the same problem Pavel Pr pointed out occurs"? Is it the behavior the other user mentioned like this? "One remaining issue is that when an eGPU is connected and the system is first powered on, there is no POST screen and picture appears only from within Windows, once the OS has finished loading. Subsequent computer restarts will show a POST screen, but when the computer is initially being turned on after being off (power-cycled), there is no POST screen coming through the eGPU during the initial boot procedure." Please specify and provide detailed explanation. 

2. To get more information from your system configuration, run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:   

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".    
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".    
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".    
  • Use the option under the reply window to attach the report to the thread (Drag and drop here or browse files to attach). Please note that only one file can be attached at a time.  

3. I understand that you are using the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box enclosure, can you include the brand and full model of the graphics card also? Please include a link of the specs if possible.  

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

whiteday75
Novice

hello. Sebastian_M_Intel

1.  i same issue

One remaining issue is that when an eGPU is connected and the system is first powered on, there is no POST screen and picture appears only from within Windows, once the OS has finished loading. Subsequent computer restarts will show a POST screen, but when the computer is initially being turned on after being off (power-cycled), there is no POST screen coming through the eGPU during the initial boot procedure.

2.  upload log file.

3. zotac GeForce GTX 1070 mini

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1070-mini-0#spec

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello whiteday75, 

Thank you for the details provided. 

We will proceed to check this behavior internally, please kindly wait for a response. As soon as we have an update, we will post it on this thread. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Ronny_G_Intel

Hi whiteday75,

I have been looking at this community report and I am glad that you were able to resolve some of the issues reported initially but the no POST display issue when the system is first powered on until the OS has finished loading seems to be a broader issue not only affecting NUC + eGPU combination but other third party systems as well, this may require a feature called: preboot thunderbolt which we currently don't have available in our BIOS set-up but this is just my assumption about what could be required to mitigate this issue.

I will get back to this post if I get any internal update about this issue.

Regards,

Ronny G

Ronny_G_Intel

My apologies for the late reply.

For this particular report please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056230/intel-nuc.html 

There's no POST screen on the first boot after a power cycle when an eGPU is connected. POST screens are seen on every subsequent reboot, but after a power cycle, no image is displayed until the system has finished booting into Windows*.

• This is the expected behavior. During first boot, the eGPU waits until the eGPU driver takes over when the system boots into the operating system. After the eGPU driver is enumerated, the system can identify there is an eGPU attached to the Thunderbolt port and at the second the Intel® NUC will set the primary display to the eGPU path.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ronny G