Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12525 Discussions

NUC8BEB UEFI boot doesn't work

michal-kozal
Beginner

Good morning Team,
I have a NUC8i5BEH, reporting NUC8BEB board in UEFI.
BIOS Version: BECFL357.86A.0090.2022.0916.1942

I wanted to upgrade my existing system (Windows 10 -> 11) but it wouldn't let me since upgrade checks didn't pass. Fine, I thought. I'll switch to GPT/UEFI and enable Secure Boot (or whatever was the requirement).

1. I have used mbr2gpt Win tool
2. Switched BIOS from Legacy to UEFI
3. Cannot boot anymore :<

Now, the steps above were done on KINGSTON SA400 which was previously booting just fine using Legacy mode.

Fine, I thought. Something vile is afoot, perhaps migration didn't work as intended. But… when using USB stick I cannot boot either!
This applies to F10 menu, most of them flash the screen after using enter and go back to the list unless noted otherwise :

• Windows USB installation media creator on old Kingston USB 2.0, boots fine with Legacy
    • but using bootrec doesn't really work, probably since it expects to be booted using UEFI
  • Windows using Rufus (default settings), features two boot options -> one flashes, another reports an issue of another driver being already in use (IMHO expected, that's the one for UEFIs without NTFS supported), Legacy not supported here
  • Existing SSD after mbr2gpt on SA400, Legacy doesn't work probably due to bootmgr existence. Didn't experiment more at this stage, goal is UEFI (not Legacy).
  • "New" SSD from another PC with working OS: Samsung 970 EVO (M.2 NVMe) with UEFI-enabled Windows 11 (boots in two different PCs)

Now, for some reason it does boot to Arch Linux archiso just fine using UEFI on generic USB 2.0 thumb-drive. I think it might have been dd'd from the img/iso years ago.
Let me know if you need any more details about it vs the other USBs/OS.

Aside from the existing SSD I was able to confirm other SSD and USBs boot on other UEFI boards (intel-based: Z97 and AMD-based: X570, both ASRock if that matters). No CSM, no Secure Boot.

Just for clarity - no Secure Boot enabled on NUC either, not that it matters that much.
Behaviour with it is still the same (i.e. flashing) unless Arch USB is used, then I get Image Authorization Fail (again, expected).

Any idea what might be wrong?

Cheers,
Michał

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Make the install media on a Windows PC (not linux or mac).  Make sure the usb stick is formatted fat32.

Have the bios in UEFI mode, boot the stick.  Do not use rufus or any other tool.

To create the install media, go here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

michal-kozal
Beginner

Yeah so that path covers it, apart from FAT32 requirement. I'll format manually as FAT32 and try running it, imho it will get converted tho. I'll report soon.
EDIT: Actually it presents itself as FAT32 already. Anyway formatted, creator is running right now.

EDIT2: I meant that path

This applies to F10 menu, most of them flash the screen after using enter and go back to the list unless noted otherwise :

• Windows USB installation media creator on old Kingston USB 2.0, boots fine with Legacy

But let me get this straight, so actually it won't boot from non-FAT32, that's why it's just flashing? How is Windows supposed to deal with it then?

AlHill
Super User

Formatting fat32 is my requirement.   Like I said, make the stick on a PC running WINDOWS.  Also, do not try any dual boot.   And, when you do boot the usb stick, select custom install and delete ALL PARTITIONS on the drive you are installing on and choose the entire unallocated space.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

michal-kozal
Beginner

I'm unhappy to report that my FAT32-formatted, Windows 11-host MS tool created Windows 11 bootable USB stick (not using Rufus or any other shenanigans) is still "flashing" after getting selected.

Can boot in legacy mode but like I said, not really my goal.
Any thoughts?

UPDATE: Swapped yet another drive, SATA SSD, this time with Arch Linux installed. It's able to boot on NUC using purely UEFI mode (systemd-boot as a bootloader).

Is it possible it's some bug in UEFI that doesn't work with Windows?

UPDATE2: I can see "Windows Boot Manager" entry in efibootmgr but not in UEFI boot menu. Also UUID doesn't seem to match anything.

UPDATE3:
Using EFI shell and trying to launch .efi files I get either:
Command Error Status: Unsupported # probably files that aren't really compatible with UEFI, e.g. bootmgr.efi

"Nothing" -> EFI shell goes to newline and nothing happens, seems to correlate with "flash" behaviour

Success -> if I call any of the .efi files that seem to work using regular F10 and selection.

Moreover, from Windows 11 installation media filesystem I'm able to trigger cdboot.efi (prompts to press any key, quits after that's done) and cdboot_noprompt.efi ("Nothing" follows)

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Michał,

After updating BIOS to version 0090, you should reset BIOS to default settings (F9 (Y) and F10 (Y)). If still your NUC will not boot from Windows 11 Installation USB, you may try to update BIOS using BIOS Recovery method and then again reset to default settings.

Leon

michal-kozal
Beginner

Hi Leon,
I've done that earlier but redone it this morning to triple check (recovery BIOS flash after power button for 3 secs, then f9, then f10, reboot, f10 to boot menu).

Please see the screenshot. Blue is Win11 install from another PC, red is Arch Linux, purple is Windows 11 installation media.
Win11 flash, Arch throws Image Authorization Fail (again, expected).

After going into BIOS and disabling secure boot only still just a flash from Windows drives but Arch boots up perfectly well.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Michał,

I understand that "...only still just a flash from Windows drives but Arch boots up perfectly well." You are saying that only Linux USB was booting (GOODRAM), while the Kingston Data Traveler USB (Windows 11 Installation Media USB) and Samsung 970 EVO SSD (with Windows from other computer) are not booting.

Assuming that the Windows 11 installation Media was created by means of Microsoft Media Creation Tool, I've have not other idea now, why the NUC is not booting from this USB.

Leon

Edit:

Try to boot with only Windows 11 Installation USB, with no any SSD installed.

michal-kozal
Beginner

I confirm your understanding, yes.
Tried with both SATA and M.2 NVMe removed, just a single USB.
Still a flash with Kingston thumbdrive, I can boot with Arch and Clover (that one is new).
Clover sees Windows installation media but I get an error (see pics) when using cdboot and when selecting the other one I get black screen and nothing happens.

I also found another 8GB USB drive so I'll be trying that, no hopes since I think the issue is somewhere else.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

One thing to try: on another Windows PC (not Linux), reformat the flash drive to FAT32 with Quick Format option disabled. Then use MS tool to install installation image onto flash drive.

...S