Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Matt51
Beginner

NUC8BEH Won't Turn On Despite Getting Power

Just got a NUC in the last 60 days. Worked great till today when I entered my office and found that it was off and pushing the power button would not turn it on. (LED does not light and monitors unresponsive)
Tried unplugging and discharging power by pushing power button then plugging in after some time. No change in behavior.
I can see an internal LED is lit through the USB port when plugged in so I believe it is getting power.
Does anyone have any ideas for next steps?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The fact that the (green) Standby LED is lit only indicates that the power supply can provide the trickle of standby power. It does not mean that the power supply can deliver full power when requested. I thus suggest that the first thing you should do is find an alternate power supply to try.
If the power supply is working, then either some part of the hardware has failed or the BIOS is in a bad state. Testing for the latter involved three steps.
First, power on holding the power button in for three full seconds. If this results in power-on occurring, wait for the power button menu to appear before continuing.
If this doesn't work, try opening the NUC and moving the yellow BIOS jumper from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 and then try powering on.
If that doesn't work, final thing to try is clearing CMOS. This is done by unplugging the CR2032 battery for 15 minutes. This battery is on the processor side of the NUC's board, which may mean removing the board from the chassis.
Hope this helps,
...S
Matt51
Beginner

My father in-law brought over his Nuc and I tried the power supply troubleshooting tips. It's not the power supply.
Building my confidence to open it up but I'm a noob with anything hardware. Are there any youtubes I can watch for the next steps of testing the BIOS?
n_scott_pearson

There are all sorts of NUC videos on YouTube. For example, do a search like "Intel NUC disassembly".

...S

James452
Beginner

The same just happened to me. The board seems to be receiving power but pressing the start button does not power up the CPU. Please let me know if you find a solution. Kind Regards.

Prepaid Gift Balance

n_scott_pearson

@James452, subscribe to this conversation and you will receive notifications for all subsequent posts. If you have email notifications enabled, you will also receive email notifications for every subsequent post.

...S