I bought NUC8I5BEH recently, it is not working well…. Below is the hardware:

NUC8I5BEH

ADATA ram 8GB*2

Intel 535 240GB SSD

Or

NUC8I5BEH

ADATA ram 8GB*2

Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD

Drivers, latest using intel driver assistant. Windows updated to latest version.

Definition:

Random: 1-12 hours interval, never exceed 24 hours system halt

System halt: Screen suddenly stop moving. Mouse no response. Keyboard no response.

When system halt happen?

1. while in normal using
  2. normal browsing
  3. editing document
  4. Playing youtube video etc….

What I have tested:

-Ram, tested normal with MemTest86

-SSD, installing Win 10 on Intel 535 240GB SSD problem repeats. Installing Win 10 on Samsung Evo 970 SSD. Problem repeats.

So, I then get a new NUC8I5BEH from the store to test whether the problem persist. Yes, the system halt repeats.

So, whether the NUC8I5BEH is a defective hardware? Or it is the driver issue? Please help….

Is it the same issue 2 year ago? https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P0000490JAASA2/nuc7i5bnh-keeps-freezingcrashing-in-windows-1...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Employee

Hello mCC00, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. I will need to investigate this issue further, so far what I can see that both units have the same is the memory which is Adata*. Please provide me with the model of the RAM so I can check our compatibility list and see if it has been validated, it is recommended to try with at least 1 RAM stick from a different brand, also strongly recommended to try one of the ones validated by Intel. Refer to the link below: http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?prodSearch=True&searchTerm=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC%20Ki... Make sure to check the part number of the memory you have to see if it has been validated to work properly with the system, if not, and if you have access to one of the ones listed, please try and see if the system keeps hanging. Also, I would like to request an System Support Utility report from one of the units, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Make sure to attach the created report to this thread. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi David,

Thanks for helping. But I have decided to return the NUC. Below is some comments and notes.

The Ram I am using is ADATA Premier DDR-4 2400MHz 8GB (1x8GB) SODIMM AD4S240038G17-R. R may stands for retail version, it may be the same as AD4S240038G17-B. Since I have tested with the memtest86 program. I think the ram could be no error as seen in the screen shot. I am not going to do further testing, I have a lot of other work to do...

I have read the Amazon reviews, a significant proportion of users are not satisfied:

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-NUC-Mainstream-Kit-NUC7i3BNH/dp/B01N4EOJNG?ascsubtag=s15523151442796gy7...

​You may pay attention to the 1 star reviews, the product is not having a consistent good record...

Please work hard and get problems fixed. When the NUC has a good consistence of good quality and stability, I may purchase again in the future, but no this moment. Sorry.

Attached is the report, hope it may provide some information to help your company to find out the problem.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

MC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Adding some information here...

I bought another mainboard, using the same hardware, the PC is running continuously for 3 days without any issue. I am not going to buy Intel Nuc for at least 10 years and tell all my friends not to.​ From the amazon reviews, I think the product is not of consistence of good quality. And there has been no improvement, at least for the last 3 years. Very bad management and treat customers as fools and waste my precious time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Here's how I resolved my flickering screen issue:

PC Set up: NUC8i3BEH  with 2 Asus VE247H monitors, one connected to HDMI port, the second connected to thunderbolt via thunderbolt to HDMI cable.

Issue experienced: Upon start up, the screen connected to HDMI would flicker, and other screen connected to Thunderbolt would lose connectivity.  When this occurred, the HDMI screen would flicker on and off every second.  Occasionally I would get both screens to start and stay on, but eventually the thunderbolt screen would lose the HDMI signal.

After days of research and trying different things, I found that Windows default power management settings for USB devices is forcing the USB port to power down, even though I had the monitor on and connected to the NUC.

Solution that worked for me:

Opened DEVICE MANAGER

Opened Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Looked at the 'Properties' for each device within the USB controllers

Looked to see which have a tab within the profiles entitled 'Power Management' and  unchecked the box 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

In my set up, the two that had a power management tab are 'Intel(R) USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10(Microsoft)'  &  'USB Root Hub (USB3.0)'.  I probably only needed to change the 3.1 controller, but I did them both because I tried so many remedies before this that I was tired of retesting and failing.

Keep in mind that if this fix works for you that future window updates may default the settings back to power saving, so you may have to repeat these steps if your screen starts to flicker again.

0 Kudos